Building preview... what, again?

Aresby

I'm thinking of switching to PowerDirector 14. It has know issues, but at least you can watch before you render it. With VideoPad that's nearly to impossible if you have a complicated edit (I have most of the times 4 layers, several cuts through the layers and on the separate tracks and some transitions and some text, sometimes). I still really hope for a solution.

Sigh. With version 4.45 I've come back to my 40 minute video this morning to some quick editing to find that my CPU maxes out at nearly 100% and it's almost impossible to move the cursor without the CPU doing this. I'm trying to get on with editing but am finding I'm unable to do any actual editing as the CPU almost stops my entire machine now (even the mouse pointer).

I've reduced the preview window resolution (again) but that had no effect. It's now at 768 x 432 @ 15fps which is as low as I can go without losing the detail I need to see in the preview.

I'll clear the cache and reboot and see if that helps. Cache directory is on an SSD BTW. VP is only using 0.5Gb memory though so I don't think RAM or disk is the issue here.

-----

I hour later.

I don't know what issues VP version 4.45 is supposed to improve (and I did not know it was a beta version) but I've regressed to 4.44 as I found the CPU usage a real show stopper AND that Building Preview was no better than before. I hope I can now continue editing.

Hi Aresby, Maxvanstraaten,

I'm sorry to hear you still having issues with the preview performance.

Is it possible to share us one of your projects (including the media files) that has the typical complexity? We'd like to use them as test projects to identify bottle necks.

If you can, please upload them to DropBox or Google Drive etc. and PM me the link.

Your help would be most appreciated!

@Aresby:

Is 4.45 worst then 4.44? They suppose to have no difference on preview performance.

@Aresby:

Is 4.45 worst then 4.44? They suppose to have no difference on preview performance.

I never really got to test out 4.44 as I had already done my editing for the week. But 4.45 was really dire with that 100% CPU problem (even after a reboot). Do you still want a VP project to test out on, I can upload a zip to Dropbox over this weekend for you, unless you already have one now. Let me know, I 'll pick up the post later.

Hi Aresby,

Yes, please upload the project if you can.

Thanks!

I have sent you a message indicating where you can pick the file up from (all 4Gb of it). Good luck!

• 3 months later...

Well, I was too soon with my conclusion too!

I've been struggling over the past few months, it especially occurs when I have 2 tracks of 30+ minutes 60fps1080p (even on the lowest preview resolution), I never get to see the transitions (its buffering stopping and passing it) as a preview, I always have to render the video before I can see my transitions.

In between the video (escpecially at a cut out part) the preview just stops and continues after 20 seconds and then skips a part going 5-10 seconds ahead of the video)

Sometimes, when I pause the preview, the sound just goes on, even if I completely stop the application the sound goes on for a while.

When I came back here, it really surprised me that I didn't see any progress in solving this issue.

So i'm sorry to tell you that you lost me as a customer (and for me I'm sorry that I payed for this application). I just bought CyberLink PowerDirector 15 just because of this problem in NCH VideoPad.

• 8 months later...

I am using version 5.03 and have the same problem. Project loading - about 10 min time in total including videos (1080p, 25 fps) and pictures plus two sound tracks takes about 10-12 min to load. Additionally when the progress bar is green above every video and picture, the audio will not play for further few minutes. Are you guys working on solving this? I have been using the demo and purchased the full version yesterday hoping to see some improvements and was extremely disappointed nothing changed.

My PC is i5-3317U @ 1.7 GHz, 4 Gb ram, Windows 7 64 bit, SSD drive.

What GPU.  You could use 4 more Gb of RAM for resource intensive video editing.

Please click FILE|SAVE PORTABLE PROJECT and upload it to Dropbox, Google Drive, MS OneDrive or the like and link it here.  Someone will test it.

• 3 years later...

Hi, I am trying to do a short video, to do so I want to add a video previously recorded and then cut some parts. The problem is that I get the message building preview and the video crashes (it stops, but the audio goes on), before add the video I already have like 2 seconds of an image, so I do not think my project is too complicated.

You have tacked onto a very old thread.  Best to start anew with a descriptive subject and details.

Building Preview usually means that the material has not fully cached.  When done there should be a green line above most thumbnails.  Let it do that before attempting to edit.  With large files and long projects this can take some time.

Please upload all files to a free server, make them public (share non-restricted) and paste the shared link here or in a private message (click the folder at the top-right of the window).

Indicate specifically what occurs.  Does it hang when placing the video on the sequence, or when you attempt to edit it?  Are you adding new material?  Include that content and label it as "new."

What version of Videopad is being used?   Consider installing the latest release.

For licensed users upgrades are free for up to six months from purchase date.  After that, VP will continue to fully function but a fee will be required in order to register the newest.  Retain your old install file and registration info.