Applying Effect Points in 4.33

gibson23

I downloaded a version for Mac about two months ago. And now this version for PC tonight (4.33). I ABSOLUTELY HATE THE NEW EFFECTS BOX !!!! But that aside, how do you take a clip from your timeline and add (for example) a ZOOM effect that you can have move to multiple points during that clip. In the other version, you can just click stop the cursor on whatever part of the clip you're at, resize it, and you could clip a marker that would make it go to that point.

How do you do that here. Heck, you dont even get the video in the preview pane here like you used to (yes, I know we can bring up the double box). But it was DEFINITELY better the other way - and most people seem to think so.

So back to my question - how can I set multiple points in one clip ???

So after stumbling around, I think I found it. Takes about three extra steps to do. Would be SO MUCH BETTER if you went back to the version that had the preview as well as the Keyframe Line in the Preview window. Would save us all several steps.

Way to make it simpler guys - lol !!!!!

Hi,

I agree that the old effects dialog box is simpler then the current one. However it has it's limitation and sometimes confuse first time users.

Please check out a previous discussion which including a comparison: http://nch.invisionzone.com/index.php?/topic/23314-new-effects-menu-layout/

We considered it carefully, the benefit of the new UI well worth the slightly steeper learn curve. I really hope you would enjoy the new features once you get used to it.

Best Regards,

Hi

I have been using VP for some years now and seen a lot of changes in the effects area (and elswhere) but I have to agree...it is not intuative now. How on earth do you make a simple zoom now?? i.e. start full frame and end zoomed in. I can see the corner tabs for the initial frame on the sequence (or clip) preview when in effects mode. How do I now set this initial keyframe starting point?

I can slide to the end of the clip and reduce the outlined frame (Like original versions) but that doesn't leave a zoom from start to finish, just a zoomed in frame..

I still haven't worked it out. :-(

The help file is not much use.

Nat

Hi

Following on....I want to zoom into the centre of an image.....

1) Put an image on the main track and select it

2) Click the FX button on the thumbnail to get the FX control screen.

3) Click the green cross to select the effect.

4) Choose Zoom.

5) Click AR to maintain AR

6) Slide cursor line to left for start position of zoom........Preview screen shows the zoom area with handles.

Now.....How is this initial frame set cos I can't find it.?

Moving along the clip and readjusting the corners (like before) to show the zoomed in area at the desired position simply produces a cropped and frame filled image for the whole clip.

I can play about with up/slope etc for each value parameter menu but that seems VERY hit and miss and not a bit intuative.

Where is the simple two setting zoom now?

Nat

Hi Nat,

When you added the zoom effect:

1. Check the "Show/hide animation line" button on the right side of the parameters (x1, y1, x2, y2).

2. Move the red cursor to the beginning and press "Add key frame at current position" button.

3. Move the red cursor to the end, resize and move the widget in Clip Preview to the desire size and position.

I can see step one is something new and sort of cumbersome. We'll try make that step easier. Maybe add a button to show/hide all parameter lines by one click.

Best Regards,

You can also click on the junction of the throbber (red line) and a specific effects keyframe line - X1, Y1, X2, or Y2 - to create a keyframe at that point.

It can be visually confusing when two parameters intersect.

A simple ZOOM in winds up looking like this...

Zoom.jpg

The reason to make it so that all lines are in the same space is that you can select multiple keyframes and manipulate (move, delete etc.) them together.

For example we can change this simple zoom effect ending at the half of the duration instead of at the end by select (drag a rectangle) the last keyframes and move them to the middle of the time line.

We are working on further improve the editing by adding grid lines, snapping and short-cut keys etc.. All suggestions are welcome.

Hi all

OK I can see it now!

It's wasn't immediately obvious as the "Add keyframe at the current position" tab was not active and the tab itself did not "auto" label when passing the mouse over it until the "Show/hide animation line" button(s) had been clicked.(Perhaps a mouseover prompt could explain the required step)

But yes, it works fine.

On reflection...Why is there a need for showing/hiding the parameter lines? Why not just show them when the pane is pulled out, activate the feature, do away with the four buttons and offer the "Add keyframe at cursor position" button?

Hi Borate...Thanks.That was a method I used previously to curve the keyframe line in the earlier versions before Ease in/out curves. It meant a lot of clicking on the line though. :-)

Nat

Hi Nat,

We can now editing parameters from different effects at the same time. For example, you might want to match the keyframes from rotation and position effects.

Cursor related editing commands (e.g. add keyframe) work on all visible lines. You can hide the lines when you don't want to change them. It works like select/unselect lines.

Yes, it is confusing when they are initially hidden. But we concern that users feel overwhelming when they are all visible initially. I'll work on that see if I can make a balance between the two.