No playback audio

I'm finding the software great to use to create a score, but when I click the playback I get nothing... no audio and no change on screen (i.e. from other responses in this forum I'm thinking I should be seeing the current note light up yellow as it runs through the score? I don't see any change at all - clicking the play button does nothing at all).

(Otherwise my PC has audio working. E.g. for NCH Mixpad it works fine.)

When I place notes on the stave they do light up yellow - should I also be hearing audio while placing notes?

I'm on a PC, laptop and have the latest version installed.

Any hints greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Thanks - yes, Windows 8.1 - would not surprise me if Windows 8 was the culprit - it's a pig of an OS.

I saw the previous similar post but that one seemed like the guy got it sorted... Tech support suggested an uninstall/reboot/reinstall but that didn't help.

Cheers

Ok - so I don't know why but it has suddenly started working. The only change was that I installed and then uninstalled a different music notation software and that had some midi configuration settings that I played with. Maybe that woke up my onboard midi? Weird anyway.

• 2 months later...

I am having the issue of NO AUDIO and the music notation does not light up as it plays. Used to work fine but now does not,

I UNINSTALLED and REINSTALLED but did not fix.

Help!!!

I am using Win 8.1. Other software programs play audio - incluing NCH's Wave Edit software.

I have no idea why it stopped working...

hmm - you're testing me as I didn't end up keeping any, but among others I installed demos of "Noteworthy" and "Notation Composer".

The other thing is if you install NCH's audio and midi recorder (Mixpad) you can record a midi track from your music keyboard and, if you have Crescendo installed, click the Crescendo icon within Edit Midi Track (right click on the recorded track to edit it).

It will open the midi track as scored notation in Crescendo.

I think from memory doing that also jogged Crescendo into doing its playback.

Good luck!

By the way - I can't remember exactly what I did inside "Noteworthy" and "Notation Composer" but one or both of them have the kind of midi settings menu that I would have expected should be part of Crescendo - i.e. you can set which midi device you use, play with midi track settings etc. (maybe they are there - I haven't found them though).

I think Crescendo is hardwired to use only the onboard Microsoft midi (GS Wave thing) but I could - in the other software - switch to my USB connected Tascam US-122 ... then I can choose my synth over the Microsoft midi device, which is pretty low grade. NCH MixPad allows me to choose which midi device - I think if they installed that functionality with Crescendo it would fix all these problems...

Thanks for the information. I did load Mixpad...but still am not getting audio playback from Crescendo like I formally did with no problem. Thanks for the tip however

I wish I knew how to get to settings of Crescendo that turn or turn off audio.

My guess is a windows update killed the playback capability...but that is just a guess. I do not recall loading anything that would foul it up.

I tried a restore point just prior to last window update...but it killed my Microsoft Office...and did not fix Crescendo. I went back to my original and got my Microsoft Office back - but still no audio playback and no indication (such as highlighted colored note that use to indicate the note being played. basically nothing happens.

I am still open for suggestions. I sent an email to NCH and hope to hear something on Monday after July 4th Holiday.

Thanks,

John

OKAY....I got my problem fixed. I am not sure but I think all I did was go to Windows Media Player and I muted the sound and then un muted it and set it for a normal volume. When I went back to Crescendo - it worked normally. Go figure! lol

Anyway....this seemed to work for me....maybe give it a try.

John

update....now I remember... I did go into Device Manager and expanded out the branch for Sound Devices. I saw my Realtec Driver (default for my system. I deleted it and then rebooted my computer to reload the driver.

Maybe that was the actually fix.

I am not certain....but either muting and unmuting sound for Windows Media Player fix the issues OR deleting the sound driver and reloading again "woke" something up.

I am just very happy Crenscendo is working fully again.

I hope my post an actions I took work for someone. I can't explain why...I just know my Crescendo works.

Good Luck!

• 2 years later...

I know this is old, but I ran into the same problem a few minutes ago. I fixed it by closing out Finale, which was open at the same time as Crescendo.  I wonder if Crescendo can't handle two applications that use Midi being open at the same time.  

After I closed Finale, everything worked fine in Crescendo again.  

• 2 months later...

I had a similar problem when first running Crescendo v 3.00.  I use Win 7 Pro 64b  and had an old  version of  Coolsoft VirtualMIDISynth

as my  default midi sound font handler.  When I upgraded it to  rev 2.3.0  more than one midi application could

play my midi files, including Crescendo.   Sound font I use with it is:   "FluidR3_GMfont.SF2"  

• 1 year later...

I've had the issue of no playback, it just says MIDI Error 'Playback not working. Try reconnecting headphones or speakers'. Any ideas?

(It plays fine in Windows Media Player when I export the audio to .wav)

Thanks,

Kenny

• 9 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 4/20/2015 at 6:17 PM, HairyPotter said:

By the way - when this software is working properly do you hear notes while you are placing them on the staff?

You Should hear the notes, IF YOU TURN THAT OPTION ON.  I do nt know if you know that, or how, so I will try to explain.

Go the upper right corner, see MENU.  "Left Click| on MENU to get drop down list.  Seven down see PLAYBACK,

Left Click on PLAYBACK for further menu.  ABout six deep in that pulldown menu see PLAY NOTE AT PLACEMENT.  Left click to select.  Scroll over PLAYBACK and see your option checked.  Notes should now sound at placement.

If notes do not sound now, it is a software OS issue, sorry.  I really do not think Crescendo is well supported. 

On 6/20/2020 at 1:52 AM, JefferyKuok said:

Cressnto NCH sucks !! I want my money back. There was a serious bug in playback . Always says midi error . check your speaker. And the setuo for Vstf also screw up

Crapsendo is a POS, I agree,  WHat else is there?  I need to try something else.