Help please... problem with split video files

highweigh

While viewing video files before dragging and dropping them into the sequence, it gives you the option to split the video files in to two different files.

However after saving my project and re-opening it, the files that were split no longer exist (the original files still do however) and the places on my sequences where the split files were used are now empty spaces.

I don't really know how to fill the spots in without starting at the first empty space... any help would be appreciated.

Hi

"While viewing video files before dragging and dropping them into the sequence, it gives you the option to split the video files in to two different files."

I am not sure where you are seeing this. Can you explain a little more? Are you referring to the IN/OUT markers?

Selecting the clip in the media list will show it in the left preview pane. Moving the IN/OUT markers and clicking the green arrow will place the section between the markers onto the sequence line.More cuts like this cannot be made now as the green arrow will have disappeared.

Your clip on the media list however remains complete and reselecting it will renew the preview pane and return the green arrow so you can make a second (subsequent) selection.

If you edit directly on the sequence line having placed a clip there you simply split the clip at the cursor position using the button under the sequence preview screen. (looks a bit like green binoculars) You can then select the unwanted portion and delete it.

With two splits you can delete a central portion of a clip and then close the gap produced by clicking it and selecting to "Close the gap" from the menu.

Saving a project and loading it back should produce exactly what you had when you saved.

Does this help at all?

If not please explain exactly what steps you took that led to your difficulty.

Nat

In this way you can build up your main sequence line without dragging and dropping anything there (although it's not necessarily the best way to work.)

Hi

"I've found that under the "clip preview" window it still shows where the video file has been split"

If you have used the IN/OUT markers under the clip preview screen to select a section of clip and drop it to the sequence line, (as mentioned, you can't do another) the reselection of the clip in the media list will renew the clip preview pane and return the green down arrow. However the IN/OUT markers will not have moved and the screen may look as if it hasn't changed apart from the reappearence of the arrow. But it has been reset for you to make a second selection with new IN/OUT positions.

"....but I can't figure out how to add the split section back to the video files area "

There are two points here. You can't move a section from the sequence line back to the media list. Remember that the original clip is already there and that is a proper clip. VP is simply recording the points you selected in that clip with the IN/OUT markers and copying that bit to the sequence line. In a sense it's not actually a NEW clip.

If you want to create a new clip from this cut out section then you should create a sequence with it by clicking the + after the "Sequence 1X +" on the left. This will place a copy of the sequence line in the media list sequence bin where it will behave like a new clip. But again, it is not a NEW clip but it will, within VP behave like a clip.

The only way you can save a clip section is to isolate it and then save it by exporting it.

Nat

I've uploaded a picture to further explain my situation. Upon clicking the "Split clip into 2 clips at the cursor position" it seemingly created a new clip under the video files area with the same name as the original file but with a (1) at the end.

I've also circled the areas that where the video segments are missing... It's strange because the sound clips from both still remain however the video is not there

asdasd_zpsca04b397.png

Thank you again for your help!

The following is a repost from another thread. The last paragraph should explain how/why you are getting a new clip (with an incremented #) in the video file bin.

ADD a FILE, which will then appear under the VIDEO tab in the media area.

Drag the preview window scrubber (the red line that moves to the right as the video plays) to the desired IN point and click the MARK IN red, right-facing arrow. It's the one that's to the right of the "current/in/out" timing area.

Drag the scrubber to your out point and click the MARK OUT blue, left-facing arrow.

Click the green downward-facing arrow. Edited clip appears on the timeline.

Click on the original clip in the media area. Don't skip this step. The IN/OUT of the last clip you worked on will be defined by the selected area (not darkened) in the preview window.

To cut out another portion of this clip...

Move the scrubber to the new IN point.

Move the blue arrow, under the preview window (that marked the end of the prior clip that you cut out) to the right, so that it is past the point that will be your new OUT point.

Click the MARK IN button.

Move the scrubber to the new out point.

Click the MARK OUT button.

Click the green arrow to add this to the sequence.

(If you get a warning that the IN can't be before the out or the OUT can't be before the in mark, remember that your new IN/OUT marks must be set within the selected area, between the red and blue arrows.)

An interesting variation, if you want to make each clip a separate item in the media area, is to first follow the above procedure...

After marking an IN/OUT, as described above, move the scrubber to anywhere within the selected area. Note that the green SPLIT button, to the right of the green arrow, lights up.

Click on it and the clip portion that you have marked will appear as a new clip, incremented by number, in the media area - for dragging to the timeline.

Hi

Thanks, I can see where you are coming from now. :) and fairly sure this is a bug and mentioned previously on the forum where clips on the sequence line are returned when the project is reloaded without the video and with just the soundtrack showing. Although you are using an earlier vewrsion of VP, the problem remains with version 3.74.

There are several ways of editing in the clip preview pane but this way in particular has problems IMHO.

If you use the cursor line in the clip preview pane to split your clip, it will produce two NEW clips on the media list.

For example, If the original clip was 8 seconds duration and split at 3 seconds from the start, it will produce a 5 second clip with a (1) after the original name and a 3 second clip with the original name in the media list. Why that way round I have no idea. The original 8 second clip will not be there.

(As the split occured using the OUT (blue) marker which automatically jumps to the cursor when the split is made, one would have thought that the original 8 second clip would have remained on the media list and the 3 second section labelled (1) would have been added.... but it doesn't......it produces 2 new clips)

Now, if you drop the 5 second (1) clip to the timeline and save the project then close VP and reload the project, the 5 second(1) clip will load back without the video track. The two clips that resulted from the split are also reloaded to the media list but this time without the (1).

The missing video track is obviously a bug and is what has happened to you project. Presumably you used the (1) bit of clip each time for these areas. If you use the section without the (1) this does reload with the video and sound.

My personal feeling is that editing in the clip preview pane is not always the best way to do it. Having come to digital video editing via editing actual film, I prefer to edit on the timeline as it is so similar and more intuative.WYSIWYG. But that's my preference <_<

As far as the gaps in your video track go, you could delete the sound tracks in each (so leaving the gap) and re-edit the missing clips directly by dropping them into the gaps (making them bigger if necessary) splitting and deleting unwanted sections on the timeline, closing the remaining gaps when finished, although this is a bit labour intensive.

You could also drag the whole of your current video including gaps, up to the overlay track (videotrack 2), and then placing the original clip underneath it on video track 1 and dragging it about until the missing bit is under the gap and the soundtrack portions match. You can then trim off the ends and mute the original sound track. It wouldn't need to be so precise this way as the overlay track gaps would automatically select the section on videotrack 1.

Unless anybody can come up with a different way of retrieving your video bits............

Best of luck

Nat

My personal feeling is that editing in the clip preview pane is not always the best way to do it. Having come to digital video editing via editing actual film, I prefer to edit on the timeline as it is so similar and more intuative.

You could also drag the whole of your current video including gaps, up to the overlay track (videotrack 2), and then placing the original clip underneath it on video track 1 and dragging it about until the missing bit is under the gap and the soundtrack portions match. You can then trim off the ends and mute the original sound track. It wouldn't need to be so precise this way as the overlay track gaps would automatically select the section on videotrack 1.

Best of luck

Nat

Thanks for the tips Nat! Also thank you borate for your input.

After reading the second method you mentioned to close the gaps I think I understand what you suggested but I was wondering also if this would work -

First I would delete all the audio files from Audio Track 1 (the muted sound clips)

Then move the song I'm using (Audio Track 2) up to Audio Track 1

Now Video Track 2 and Audio Track 2 would be empty

Then could I drop the missing segments on to Video Track 2 and move them to about where they would have been if they were not missing and trim some of the excess

My question is if I left some of the Video on Track 2 overlapping Track 1, naturally the video will play Video Track 1 and not the overlapping portion of Track 2?

Would this way allow me to fill the gaps in without actually editing any of the clips in Video Track 1?

Sorry if this is a bit confusing I'm still very new to video editing, thanks again!!

Remember, the video on higher-numbered track will overlay (take precedence) over video on lower tracks.

If there are different video clips atop one another on track 1 and track 2, then only track 2 will be seen - unless that video is made smaller or moved, which would create a PIP effect (picture-in-picture).

Thus, if track 2 has video in the same place as there is a gap on track one, then the track 2 video will be seen. So the answer to your final query is yes.

Check out the ? HELP files for "overlay" and "PIP" info.

Hi

As I see it now from your image, you have a soundtrack on A2. This is independant and presumably you are keeping it.

The gaps you want to reinsert are in V1 with its sound on A1 and muted. If this muted track is not required then select it all, unlink it from V1 and ripple delete it.

You should now have your soundtrack on A2 and your video (with gaps) on V1

Select all the video clips with their gaps and drag them up to V2 (overlay). This will leave V1 and A1 empty.

You can insert your replacement clips V1 to fill the gaps left in V2.

Once you have replaced them you can mute A1.

As Borate says, video track 2 will play over videotrack1. In effect you would "see" Videotrack 1 where the gaps are. Imagine you are looking from above onto your tracks, the ones on higher tracks will cover up ones on lower tracks except where the gaps are.

Nat

• 1 month later...

The following is a repost from another thread. The last paragraph should explain how/why you are getting a new clip (with an incremented #) in the video file bin.

ADD a FILE, which will then appear under the VIDEO tab in the media area.

Drag the preview window scrubber (the red line that moves to the right as the video plays) to the desired IN point and click the MARK IN red, right-facing arrow. It's the one that's to the right of the "current/in/out" timing area.

Drag the scrubber to your out point and click the MARK OUT blue, left-facing arrow.

Click the green downward-facing arrow. Edited clip appears on the timeline.

Click on the original clip in the media area. Don't skip this step. The IN/OUT of the last clip you worked on will be defined by the selected area (not darkened) in the preview window.

To cut out another portion of this clip...

Move the scrubber to the new IN point.

Move the blue arrow, under the preview window (that marked the end of the prior clip that you cut out) to the right, so that it is past the point that will be your new OUT point.

Click the MARK IN button.

Move the scrubber to the new out point.

Click the MARK OUT button.

Click the green arrow to add this to the sequence.

(If you get a warning that the IN can't be before the out or the OUT can't be before the in mark, remember that your new IN/OUT marks must be set within the selected area, between the red and blue arrows.)

An interesting variation, if you want to make each clip a separate item in the media area, is to first follow the above procedure...

After marking an IN/OUT, as described above, move the scrubber to anywhere within the selected area. Note that the green SPLIT button, to the right of the green arrow, lights up.

Click on it and the clip portion that you have marked will appear as a new clip, incremented by number, in the media area - for dragging to the timeline.

To make certain we are talking about the same subject, I quote the instructions I am trying to follow. All goes well up to where the first edited clip appears on the timeline. From there on, I am not able to do anything. I am trying to move the scrubber around and clicking the mark buttons, but get no green arrow. But I am adviced that I can't have the end before the begin point, and it seems I am unable to get out of that situation.

I am not concerned with audio at this time, first I want to get the video part working for me. I thougt I might have an OS problem but Win 7 made no difference from Win XP

Before you mark the IN/OUT for each clip, click on the clip in the bin (top-left). That will switch to preview mode and enable the green arrow.

If the "can't have end before beginning" prompt appears, slide the left-facing blue pointer to the left or the right-facing red pointer to the right - then mark your INS/OUTS.

Hi again Roffen

"All goes well up to where the first edited clip appears on the timeline. From there on, I am not able to do anything. I am trying to move the scrubber around and clicking the mark buttons, but get no green arrow. But I am adviced that I can't have the end before the begin point, and it seems I am unable to get out of that situation."

Your first step is OK.... :) ...But....

If you have used the clip preview pane to create an edited clip by means of the scrubber bar and the IN/OUT marker buttons and then placed it onto the timeline with the Green arrow you have to re-select the same clip again from the media list window (just left click it) to make a second edit of that clip. etc.

So..The steps are...

Activate the clip preview window.........(Left click the tab)

Select your clip from the media list.....(Left click it..It will now appear in the preview window)

Move the preview scrubber bar to your start point for the edit. ..(The IN point)

Click the red IN POINT button under the window

Move the scrubber bar to the end point of your edit.

Click the Blue OUT POINT button. ...Your selected section will be highlighted in the thumbnail line)

Click the Green arrow to place the selected clip section onto the timeline.

The arrow will now disappear and further selections cannot be made..........So to continue....

Select a NEW clip from the media list OR RESELECT THE SAME CLIP......(Left click it)

Move the preview scrubber bar to the IN POINT.........etc & etc...

Note that clicking the green arrow this time will place the new edit on the time line at the position determined according to what you have set under "Options" /"Media"

Nat

Hi,

In VideoPad, a clip in the Bin and a clip in Sequence are different things. Although they looks the same and using the same preview window.

The green arrow button only given by previewing clips from the Bin. The button will create a clip in Sequence which has the same attributes (same video, in/out point etc.) as the Bin clip. Bin clips works as templates as the Sequence clips.

The preview window will display both clips - you can click on(select) a clip in the Bin or in the Sequence time line to make the preview window to display the clip. When previewing a Sequence clip, the title will indicates the track of the clip in brackets, e.g. (Video Track 1).

Hope this make sense.

Best Regards.

P.S. I know this is a bit confusing, suggestions will be appreciated.

I'm really hoping we can make it better in the future but for now please let me explain how things works:

In fact, we have three different things to preview:

1. A clip in the bin - lets call it 'Bin Clip'.
  2. A clip in the sequence(tracks) - lets call it 'Track Clip'.
  3. The 'Sequence' itself.

Sequence preview is always displaying the Sequence.

Clip preview can display a Bin Clip or a Track Clip depends on which one is selected. We create a Track Clip by adding a Bin Clip into the sequence. Therefore the green arrow button is only available when displaying a Bin Clip.

The recent change to a single preview was actually a step toward sorting it out.

Policy on this can be confusing. Some time back, when the 30-day trial expired, there was an option to revert to a "free" version that disabled some features (and export formats).

That option appeared when clicking Videopad UNinstall in Control Panel|Programs and Features.

Last time I checked, which was several versions ago, that was gone and the word "free" with reference to Videopad no longer appears on the VP page.

I am n ot comfortable with the end result after creating a video from my clips. I expect the clips to be placed in the new video product in the same arder as when I made them. From one master file, I make a number of clips, and try to move a piece from the middle of the video to near the end.

But the end result plays the end first, and without having analyzed it much yet, believe there are other things that are not quite like I expected.

Is there any method by which I can move the clips to put them in the desired order?

Four clips on the timeline were shuffled here - left-clicking on one, moving it left or right to swap its position with another clip. In each case, the result played in the order shown on the timeline.

It's also possible to click on a timeline clip, then right-click|COPY. Position the scrubber (red line) where you want the copy to appear and right-click|PASTE.

If the clips do not play in the order that they are shown on the timeline - no matter at what time they were placed there - then something is wrong.

Hi Roffen,

You can move clips around by drag and drop. The simplest way to move a clip to the end is dragging the clip toward the end. Release the mouse when the beginning of the clip passed the end(inside the empty space). It doesn't matter how far away from the end as the gaps will be automatically removed. You can re-order clips in the sequence by repeatedly dragging clips to the end.

Please beware of that if you drag a clip on top of another clip, the clip underneath will be automatically split(insertion). The split position is at the beginning of the top clip. If the beginning of the dragged clip is snapped to a join, then the clip will be inserted into the join without split any clip - This is another way to change the order.

Hope this helps. If you find anything wrong or confusing, please let us know.

Best regards.