How to add border around PIP (picture in picture)

jbayko

I have figured out how to add a picture in picture (smaller video playing within a larger main video. However, both videos are dark, and I would like to add a thin, light-colored border around the smaller video in order to create a contrast between that smaller embedded video and the main larger video. I've successfully added a border to the clip, but it doesn't seem to translate to that border being part of the PiP.

As an alternative, I thought about adding a separate empty rectangle around the PiP or a full rectangle behind the PiP in order to "fudge" a border, but I'm not sure how to do that either.

Can anyone help?

Jeff

Add a blank image (whose color you can set) in the track below the insert picture, then CROP that image...

To begin, click the ADD BLANK icon on the menu bar.

Click the yellow star at the bottom left of the border's thumbnail, in the timeline.

Click ADD EFFECT, Choose CROP. In the preview window, drag the image edges to form a border.

Set the tracks up this way: 1 - main video, 2 - border, 3 - insert picture

Adjust length as necessary by dragging the trailing edge of the border clip on the timeline.

6.jpg

Hey guys, thanks. I actually got the "Border" edit to work. It seems as though you have to add the border to the clip BEFORE you add the clip to the sequence. If you add the border to the clip after it has already been added to the sequence, the border does not get inherited. I'm not sure if that's intended functionality, but it seems strange.

Jeff

Hi

Oops! Sorry, forgot there was a BORDER effect! :wacko: . ...Well you have two ways to accomplish it now. :)

and, Yes.. add the border first, then reduce the image size with SCALE.

Note You can add the border to the clip after it has been placed on the overlay track, but do this first before you scale it down in size otherwise the border gets left behind.

Nat