More than 2 audio tracks needed?

martyson

Borate,

Thanks for the follow up.

"mixdown in an external audio editor"

Well, I have no idea what that means so I could possibly use the VideoPad with just two audio tracks and no Plugins.

My videos are normally using Debut to caputre flight simulation (flights) to xplain aircraft procedures or problems.

Normally only Debut and my voice into the Mic.

So, I was trying to learn what situation would I need more than two audio tracks ..

Like, I may want to add a narration to the original video .. in addition to what I spoke during the original video recording .. sort of thing.

Edit: Also not sure I would need a Plug-in or not?

"Mixdown" is mixing various tracks together into fewer tracks. eg: Multi-tracks into two stereo tracks.

An external editor refers to an audio production tool, such as the free http://audacity.sourceforge.net. A file manipulated in an external editor, preferably in WAV format, can then be imported into VP.

In the purchased version of VP more than two audio tracks can be enabled. Just drag a clip to the area above track one to create a new audio track. Same procedure used to create additional video tracks.

The audio from any clip can be saved as an audio only file. Right-click on it and "save as new audio file." It will appear under the AUDIO tab (the audio BIN).

Hi

You can record your commentary directly using the "Record" tab on the toolbar and choosing "Record Audio". If you know your video well enough you can write out the script and read it whilst the video plays. (Not as easy as it sounds...cos your'e bound to fluff it!.. :) "

A better alternative to my mind is to read out and record your script in short sections, each being saved as a sound file. (e.g. .wav)

You can then load these sound bites into the VP media list audio file bin and simply drag and drop them into the correct position on a second audio track. (the "Drag and drop your audio clips here to mix" line)

Both tracks will play together now but the voice-over may be obscured somewhat depending on the main track volume which you would have to adjust.

It is probably best to reduce the main track volume whereever the sound bites are placed. One way to do this is to split the main track (plus its sound track.......no need to unlink it) just before and just after the sound bite and then use the "Mix" tab in the sound effects window to vary the volume of the sound section you have just created in track 1. where the commentary plays. i.e. reduce it just before the voice starts and bring it back to normal just after the voice finishes). This will keep the whole commentary at the same level as (provided all the clips have all been recorded the same way) they are not altered.

Note that if you Fade out and Fade in to alter the main track segment , the volume will reduce to zero which is not really what you want.

In most cases you will only need two sound tracks.

Good fun...best of luck!

Nat