Get rid of the framing of the image and its background.

Vlad

Hello.

I am not very experienced in VP.

I had previously used the VP at home.

Now again I want to change one video:

I want to apply a flower image in the lower right corner.

(so I put the image of the flower on top on the additional videotrack)

But around the flower(during playing) remains rectangular frame,

inherited from the processing of the image(outside of VP).

Is there any way to remove that frame, leaving only the image of the flower ?

Moreover, I would like to get rid of the original background of the image, but I do not know how...

Crop the image, using software that has that feature. Even trusty ol' Windows PAINT can do that. Then insert it into VP.

Depending upon the colors in the image, you may be able to use VP's green screen (Chromakey) feature to kill the background.

Hi

As you are referring to an image, you will need to crop the image to remove the unwanted portion. You can do this in a third party image processing program, or you can apply the crop function to the image via videopad. Removing the background might be more problematic but a lot depends on the purity of the colour of the flower image. You could possibly do this with the videopad chroma key function.

However , it would be simpler to use a third party image processing program.

With a third party program you would need to draw a mask around the flower, reverse it so the masked area is the background and then colour this masked area with a pure colour like green or red or black or white. At any rate a colour not present in the flower. Resave the image and load it to VP

Add this to the overlay track and position it where you would like it to go and then use the chroma key function to make the flower background colour transparent (opacity = 0%) Provided the colour isn't in the flower you will then just have the flower in the corner of the underlying video.

Nat

Thanks Nat and Borate for advice

I inaccurately said about framing;

I meant a sharp contrast (resembling straight lines) of

the background image in a new place with other colors.

The Crop operation I had previously learned (thanks to the instruction of Nat).

But Crop just leaves sharp rectilinear boundaries ...

Is there a possibility (as opposed to Crop) to obtain an image without these rectilinear boundaries ?

Boundary would have to repeat the zigzag contours of the image (with the possibility to manually change the curvature of the zigzag and even move it in certain places to the image itself) -

Then the image is to be copied and added to the video.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello (Nat and Borate).

I took the link that gave me Borate (for the program Paint.NET).

I visited their forum and one commenter gave me advice to record an image in PNG-format (using Paint.NET).

It worked: I got a clear picture, and without the bounding rectangle (apparently it's the same thing that advised me Nat hereinabove).

I have even put it out on Youtube (an old German song with bicolor text in German and English on the screen); but I, probably, will change a bit the video.

VP has a Circle-transition, but there is no oval-transition (horizontal). - This would be much more interesting.

Such oval is present in the video (which I used) of another user (and I left it in my video too).

Hi

If you are prepared to lose a fair bit of your image at the top and bottom you can "create" an oval transition. It won't be perfect but worth having a try..

Proceed as follows....You will have to experiment with this procedure. <_<

Place the APPEARING clip (that's the one showing the transition) onto the timeline. (Clip 2)

Place the clip that comes before it in front of this. (Clip 1)

Select Clip 2 and add the SCALE effect.

Increase the Y% value to produce a heighting effect opposite to the degree of flattening you want in the round transition. You will have to experiment here. Use the same Y% value on both clips. Note that the more you heighten the clips the more of both clips will be lost at the top and bottom in the finished output.

Now add your circle transition to Clip 1 in the normal way.

Save (Export) the sequence to your PC.

Reload the saved sequence and select it.

Add the "Scale" effect once more but this time reduce the Y% value to restore the sequence (It will be one clip now) to its original proportions...or at least as close as you can get.

This step will reduce the height of the clip producing the chequered areas at top and bottom.

Place the timeline cursor at the centre of the transition so you can see the preview.

To get back to full screen now apply the CROP effect choosing your desired aspect ratio e.g. 16:9

Reduce the sides of the orange rectangle until there is no chequered arrea showing.

The sequence should now play (enlarged of course) with a horizontal oval transition.

It's about the best you will be able to do with VP in the absence of a proper oval transition.

You could also create a black oval vignette in a similar way using blank frames, one black and one green and then after going through the steps, adding the result to an overlay track with the chroma effect set to render the green transparent.

Nat

Hi, Nat, thanks for the description.

Interestingly, this horizontal oval, which I borrowed from the other clip, appeared almost round in my video!

In the original video it looks like a clear oval.

How could it be transformed ?

(compare themselves: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7o9YlLxcWc - this is a video that I(Farasht) exposed on YouTube; there is a description where the source address also indicated; click on it)

Hi

The two films actually have different aspect ratios... (1.333 and 1.777) but this is not the reason for the different shaped vignette as VP simply displays them "as is" and adds a corresponding black border to make the output up to 1:1.77 (16:9). There is no distortion produced.

I'm not sure why your vignette appears round but the background video that has the effect seems to be skewed in some way, like a page partially turned but can't see how you acheived this with VP. Using the scale effect and changing the y% value as I suggested shouldn't have done that. It would have turned your round VP vignette into an oval.

However, I presume you want to have the oval vignette that is shown on the original video.

This video is 480 x 360 pixels as it stands (1:1.333) but with an actual image which is 16:9.

So keeping the oval vignette should be straightforward.....

Load the original video. (Oval vignette)

Select it, and then add the crop effect. Force the aspect ratio to 16:9 (right hand button) and position the orange rectangle over the actual image area. That is, trim off the black border at the top and bottom and the chequered area to each side that you will see in the preview screen.

You will now have a 16:9 full frame video which will finish with the oval vignette.

Save this (unless you don't mind waiting for ages whilst VP recrops it when you re-edit it -_- ) and then reload it as the new background for your overlays and texts.

Hope this helps. Pleasant melody.

Nat

Hello, Nat,

I have another question for you.

Today I posted on YouTube one video. There's a red flag thear.

But the color of this flag "lawfully" disappeared (as it should be in this case).

However, I would like thear to have a colored flag.

Is it possible to "paint" only the flag, leaving everything else as in the old movies?

Look: This man looks like a buccaneer with a black flag(on my video), and not as a freedom fighter. :)

"Die Schnitter Des Geyers schwarzer Haufen"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZB29-iuqefs (this one's mine)

Hi

Borate is pointing you in the right direction. But as you say you are not to experienced with VP.........

Load a blank frame of the required flag colour to Video track 1 of the timeline.

Load your video clip with the red flag to the overlay track....Video track 2

Line them up.

Click the yellow star at the left end of the red flag clip to add an effect and select "Green Screen"

Click "Configure Effect"

In the preview image that appears left click on the red flag area. This will select that colour to become transparent and the shade will appear in the small square on the left..

Now move the top slider to the right until all the red has disappeared from the video, (It's a pure colour in this case so it won't leave any.)

If you adjust the slider carefully you can just leave the border grey. You can preview the effect to check that all the red has gone.

Wait for VP to process the changes and close the effects window.

When you play the timeline clip you should now see the flag has turned into the colour of the blank frame on Video track 1

Nat

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Vlad

You can get an effect similar to what you want .

Do this for a left to right scrolling background.

The first thing is to extend the duration of the background star image so it equals or exceeds the length of the clip as a whole. (Which may already be the case.)

A suitable image for this (with stars) should be reasonably high resolution as it will have to be elarged somewhat and if possible also have an aspect ratio of 16:9.

Place the image on the main videotrack 1 and click the yellow star at the left end of the clip.

Select the CROP effect.

Force the 16:9 aspect ratio by clicking the appropriate button.

Drag the red effect cursor line to the left so you are previewing the start of the image clip.

Now reduce the size of the orange rectangle to about half the width of the frame and position it to the left hand side of the image. The vertical position is up to you.

Click the green crosses to fix the first keyframe.

Now slide the red cursor line to the right end of the clip.

Drag the orange rectangle over to the right hand side of the image without altering its size. Keep it in the same vertical position.

If you move the cursor line back a little you will see you have now set the second keyframe crop position.

Wait for VP to generate all the frames between these positions and close the effects preview window.

When you now play your movie you should see the background scroll left to right behind the overlay flag image.

The speed of the scroll will depend on the duration of the background clip.

Logically If you wanted to reverse the direction of the scroll and have a right to left scroll, you would swop the start and end positions for the orange rectangle, starting with it on the right and finishing it on the left.

Nat