Simply does not work

kekyko

I tove the idea of this software but it simply does not work. 1. Software does not see any external drives. Period. 2. I am able to choose a drive from a dropdown menu and the software begins to backup but a couple of hours later it stops with the ""Disk full backing up files" and "Job ****** not finished do to errors". There is a post here regarding a patch I did download and install this as well but it did nothing to help. This is all I ever get and I have restarted the software, started software as Administrator and reinstalled the software. Also when I check the drive that I pointed the back up to be stored on it is empty yet it took two hours backing up before "error", where did this back up go to I have absolutely no idea. Just to be clear I am on Windows 7x64 and I am trying to back up a folder located on a network, my home network. I have read in the FAQ that this is possible or at least SHOULD be possible.

I have noticed that not many people reply to questions much here so if anyone reads this can you post here if this software is infact still being worked on? Is this software dead? Thank you for anyones time and hopeful reply :)

1. The software should see your external drive. Click on toolbar "Destination" button, and select "External or Backup Hard Drive". If not, select "Network folder", and then click on "..." button and select your external drive.

2. Regarding "Disk full backing up files":

FileFort will have to create a temporary backup file. This temporary file is not created on your destination (external drive), but on your TEMP folder used by Windows. This will insure high speed, but you will need to have enough available space on your drive. Usually it's on C:\Users\YourAccount\AppData\Local\Temp.

It seems that you don't have enough space on your system drive.

(You can change this location, or you can say to FileFort to use a different drive)

- FileFort has on option to "Mirror files exactly in subfolder". This will back up the files directly on your location, no TEMP folder. The files will be an exact copy of your file structures, meaning that it will not be just a single file - the backup file, but the whole file structure.

Format the external drive as NTFS, and ask Windows to compress the content of the destination folder (from folder properties). This way, the system will take care of the compression. And you will be able to browse all of your files trough Windows Explorer.

• 2 weeks later...

1. The software should see your external drive. Click on toolbar "Destination" button, and select "External or Backup Hard Drive". If not, select "Network folder", and then click on "..." button and select your external drive.

2. Regarding "Disk full backing up files":

FileFort will have to create a temporary backup file. This temporary file is not created on your destination (external drive), but on your TEMP folder used by Windows. This will insure high speed, but you will need to have enough available space on your drive. Usually it's on C:\Users\YourAccount\AppData\Local\Temp.

It seems that you don't have enough space on your system drive.

(You can change this location, or you can say to FileFort to use a different drive)

- FileFort has on option to "Mirror files exactly in subfolder". This will back up the files directly on your location, no TEMP folder. The files will be an exact copy of your file structures, meaning that it will not be just a single file - the backup file, but the whole file structure.

Format the external drive as NTFS, and ask Windows to compress the content of the destination folder (from folder properties). This way, the system will take care of the compression. And you will be able to browse all of your files trough Windows Explorer.

Hello. I simply cannot use FileFort as a true "Back up utility" due to not enough memory or "cache" but I can "mirror" back up BUT it does error and when it does error I will not keep the already backed up items on the back up drive, when I start the back up again it starts from the very beginning meaning it erases everything that was previously backed up and starts new. Also it errors indiscriminate files again meaning one backup session will back up file A and not file B before it "errors", so I start back up again which it then erases the disk and starts from the beginning but this time it backs up A and B but than no E. So I start back up again and once again it erases the disk and starts from the beginning...etc..... So sadly I just copy the disk file directly to my back up drive in essence Im "Mirroring" on my own.

I dont know how much memory is actually needed on my computer to successfully back up a folder/drive, around almost 1 TB of data. Thank you for your help though and if you have any other suggestions I welcome it. :)

• 1 month later...

1. Regarding the available space on disk.

You will need an amount of free space on disk equal to the size of all of your files you want to back up.

If you have a lot of data, if you can, maybe it's better to create several backup jobs, instead of one big backup. (Like, MyMovies, MyPictures, TVMovies, TVShows, MyData, and so on). In this case, the requirement for available space would reduced to the require space for the largest backup.

2. Mirror backup.

I would want to know what kind of Mirror backup you try to use?

There is the regular Mirror backup, that indeed would replace the existing backup.

There is the Incremental Mirror backup, that would first back up all of your files, and then later, it would back up only the files that were changed. (Fast, and less space on backup disk)

3. Using the minimal amount of hard disk space.

Can I ask you where you want to back up your data?

Is it an external hard drive?

Is it an internal hard drive that is always attached to your computer?

Is it a network drive?

4. I guess it's important to know exactly what kind of errors do you have.

Can you paste here some errors from the log?