RECORDED SOUND HAS CLICKS AND POPS?!

johnnyjjsantiago

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Alex Chapman

Hi Kate,

I got your email with the problematic recording. Unfortunately I'm not getting the same problem here. Can I just confirm with you what version of SoundTap you are using?

Thanks,

Alex

• 2 months later...

Hi Ron,

I can assure you we take all of these reports seriously and do our best to track down the issues. For the vast majority of our users SoundTap works with no problems, but for some people a combination of hardware/software configurations sometimes present issues. If you can give me a description of what you are trying to record and what kind of audio problems you are experiencing then I may be able to help you solve the issue.

Regards,

Ben

I tried a test recording from utube of classical music. I would be happy to send you the recording. The so-called clicks are compression aritifacts. I tried various bit rates and WAV with exactly the same problem that other people are having. I would be happy to send you the recording. I should note that I have been using polderbits for years with great results but alas you no longer support that great program. I am using an optiplex 380 comuputer with windows 7. Ronald Blumer

I purchased my copy of SoundTap (version v 2.31) just yesterday - 8th November 2015.

I have made 4 recordings from various sources with this software and the playback audio contains constant cracks and pops for each recording. Disappointing.

I am doing nothing unusual. I have Windows 10 and all audio output on my HP AllInOne PC from various apps/programs has worked well thus far. Except for current SoundTap issue.

I can email send you a copy of a SoundTap saved MP3 file if you wish for analysis.

Please help NCH. This is a real problem for me at this time.

What do you suggest?

Hi Ron B, and DennisW,

In both of your cases, the issues you describe are consistent with SoundTap receiving a signal which is too loud. The volume at which SoundTap records is determined by a combination of the volume of the application you are recording (eg. YouTube via your browser) and your system volume. Try reducing one or both of these volume levels and use the dB meter level on the main SoundTap window as a guide to check that your recording levels are not entering the red zone.

Regards,

Ben

Ben,

Thanks, I have rerun my SoundTap tests with reduced application volume as you suggest. Excellent! No cracks/pops detected.

This seems to be the solution that many others in this forum stream are seeking. Hope they see this.

*** One question: In my original and poor recordings I did watch the dB level meter and it never seemed to move into the red zone. The application volume was however high.

All told I'm pleased with these second time around results and can now move on with more instream SoundTap recordings.

Perhaps you can consider *** above. Thanks

DennisW

How frustrating the problem, and how simple the apparent solution. I have had the same experience, and reducing the source volume did indeed provide a satisfactory experience. Thank you, NCH, for continuing to investigate. I was loud in my criticism of SoundTap; I will now be as loud in my praise for the program and NCH for introducing it.

Plaidie

Thanks for the feedback, Plaidie and DennisW.

I'll have a look into the issue you describe, Dennis in regard to the dB meter not showing red. I will also look at introducing a warning notification to users if the volume level is set too high to try and help people avoid this problem in the future.

Regards,

Ben

@DennisW,

Thanks for the offer - I'll keep it in mind for the next SoundTap development cycle :)

@johnnyjjsantiago,

Do you get the clicks and pops while recording from any source? Or do they occur only when recording from a particular source? If you are able to send me a link to a short sample recording which demonstrates the issue I may be able to identify the cause of the clicks.

Additionally:

What operating system are you using?

What is the make and model of your soundcard?

Regards,

Ben

• 2 weeks later...

Mine has begun to do the same , I be leave that an apple add on may be the culprit. This applies for both apple and windows. It appears when on you tube, did this with my apple amusing it was all good shortly after the pops and clicks appeared when i began sound tap. went to my windows computer program there all good there, went on you tube and some time after this add on appeared ,did not allow it to install every thing still fine but this add on keeps trying, Not Happening! This problem is on start up. I would look there. Hope you find it and come up with an update.

• 2 weeks later...

I suffer from exactly the same problem on nearly 100% of recordings. Gain turned right down, recording from You Tube and other similar sources, clicks, moments of silence etc. Recording WAV at 4424 and 4824. Mac Pro 12-Core, Yosemite 10.10.5, Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 DSP (Mixcontrol 3.6). It all used to work fine until I bought the latest Soundtap. Careful not to do anything else while recording.

It is far too easy to overload the new Soundtap. Since Youtube generally does not have material above 0dBFS, Soundtap should be able to cope without winding back the gain to less than 50%. It would be sensible to provide a proper dB scale on the meters and an appropriate gain control (with a limiter?). Looking forward to some progress on tis, as it's being going on for a long time.

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Like so many others on this forum my recordings have deteriorated over the last couple of months. I've been using it to record from Spotify for a number of years without any problem. It seems that this has been an issue for a while. Surely NCH must be aware that there is a widespread problem that needs to be solved.

pault

• 2 weeks later...

I was finally able to get rid of the popping sounds.

I opened the control panel in windows VISTA and shut down all Apple Programs like ituneshelper, iPodservice.

Make sure you select check the box "show all processes from all users".

Also I suspect that any of the running 'processes' that ping the internet ( like checking for program updates or validations) could be a reason for a streaming recording disruption.

Hope this helps,

AC

I don't wish to get involved discussing much of this, but I will say - trying to record a stream from spotify is more than likely a questionable legal thing.

As regards to pops and clicks, a commom complaint with this software - as noted many times before - when trying to record streams over the internet using SoundTap, my experience has shown that it is best to :

- exit all programs and internet sources

- close all operations

- open SoundTap

- then open the source you wish to record

- and most importantly: let the recording run its; course - ie: don't use the computer for anything else, nor start any other operations.

this may or may not be the best current advice, but it's what I can offer.....

edit to add: I am using a pc, no experience with mac (well, at least since I have been on the internet :))

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Reading through these posts over the last several months it's clear that there has been a rise in incidence of Sound click and pops. I too am experiencing this fault and I find it totally unacceptable that despite many and various emails to NCH, I have heard nothing back from them, even though they seemed all to happy to take my money but all too resistant and quiet to deal with what is a growing problem.

I used this program for free for years ago with no issues and now since purchase the sound has deteriorated, there's NO POINT in paying for something that doesn't work!!

Dear Guru (Admin) I have received your email today but there was NO SOLUTION TO THE PROBLEM GIVEN. All that was in the email was this"

johnnyjjsantiago,

Ebuaki has just posted a reply to a topic that you have subscribed to titled "RECORDED SOUND HAS CLICKS AND POPS?!".

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Reading through these posts over the last several months it's clear that there has been a rise in incidence of Sound click and pops. I too am experiencing this fault and I find it totally unacceptable that despite many and various emails to NCH, I have heard nothing back from them, even though they seemed all to happy to take my money but all too resistant and quiet to deal with what is a growing problem.

I used this program for free for years ago with no issues and now since purchase the sound has deteriorated, there's NO POINT in paying for something that doesn't work!!

----------------------------------------------------------------------

The topic can be found here: http://nch.invisionzone.com/index.php?/topic/19974-recorded-sound-has-clicks-and-pops/unread/

If you have configured in your control panel to receive immediate topic reply notifications, you may receive an

email for each reply made to this topic. Otherwise, only 1 email is sent per board visit for each subscribed topic.

This is to limit the amount of mail that is sent to your inbox.

You can unsubscribe at any time here: http://nch.invisionzone.com/index.php?/unsubscribe/Zm9ydW1zO3RvcGljczsxOTk3NDs1Njk4NDs1Njk4NDtqb2hubnlqanNhbnRpYWdvQHlhaG9vLmNvbQ,,/

• 3 months later...

When I am recording, the music sounds fine, but when I play it back, there a static crackling sound which parallels the volume of the music.  I find no way to reduce the recording level of SoundTap.  Any respectable sound recording program should have that feature.  Sometimes, I try lowering the volume of the source I am recording, but I just recorded from a source where I saw no way to reduce its volume.  I think I wasted my money registering this program when it hasn't the basic control of recording levels.