Account reconciliation

Robert Platt

I just started using "Moneyline" yesterday. I decided to input retroactive to Jan, 1 of this year. After building my accounts and Payees, I input transactions directly from the bank statements. Everything went fine and the first month reconciled immediately and perfectly. Huzzah! Not so much for Feb. The running account Bal is dead on to the penny but it freaks when reconciling. I've had to undo it manually. A real pain. On the opening reconciliation pop-up It asks for the Statement Date & Bal which I assume is the ENDING Bal. and ENDING date. However, it keeps coming up as the opening Bal. when the reconciliation screen opens. Down hill from there. Got any ideas?

P.S: After reconciling the Jan statement, all the line items switched to "R" and the boxes stayed checked.

• 7 months later...

Mac v 1.12 exhibits exactly the same behavior. Balance in Moneyline is exactly same as bank statement, but if I try to reconcile, it tells me I am off by the total of all the deposits/withdrawals I checked off when I reconciled. I know my entries are correct, by Moneyline tells me I am off.

This was happening last month, and I unistalled and then installed the latest version. It worked fine. Now, a month later, it's back to not working.

• 2 weeks later...

I pulled in my transactions from my bank and the entries were all checked as reconciled - which is nice, but I cannot edit these transactions to use my payees and categories except by unreconciling (unchecking) them one by one. Is there an option I have missed for this automatic behavior? Cause I don't like it! It prevents the reports from grouping similar payees and/or categories since the bank makes each entry unique. And it leaves all the entries as "not categorized".

• 4 weeks later...

Mac v 1.12 exhibits exactly the same behavior. Balance in Moneyline is exactly same as bank statement, but if I try to reconcile, it tells me I am off by the total of all the deposits/withdrawals I checked off when I reconciled. I know my entries are correct, by Moneyline tells me I am off.

This was happening last month, and I unistalled and then installed the latest version. It worked fine. Now, a month later, it's back to not working.

Hi, Just started using Moneyline and have exactly the same problem. First reconcilliation was OK but subsequent attemps fail even though Moneyline balance agrees with statement balance.

Did you find a way arround this ??

• 2 weeks later...

I have decided to forego reconciling altogether since it is so difficult to undo. As long as I pull in my transactions with the same dates as my statement, I find I get the same balance anyway. Having to edit all the payees is still a pain, but at least you can add new payees and categories 'on the fly' - I like that!

Robin

Thank you for the additional information. I have reported the reconcile issue for review by the development team. Robin - what platform and version are you using? I have looked at the most recent Windows version (1.17) and importing from your bank should not be automatically reconciling, only automatically clearing. And you can definitely edit cleared transactions.DJ

• 3 months later...

I am having the same problem, entry page shows correct with bank statement but reconcile shows an amount 'already reconciled' though nothing is.. Annoying. I do not download from bank and am using version 1.71 on Windows Vista

• 5 months later...

I have the same problem with reconciling Moneyline accounts. They worked fine for July, Aug, Sept but then starting in October it nets out all the deposits and withdraws and tells me that is how much I am off. Like everyone else says looking at the account balance those match up. Has this issued ever been resolved? I keep checking for updates to my Moneyline and there are none available. Moneyline v1.23

• 1 month later...

Thank you for the additional information. I have reported the reconcile issue for review by the development team. Robin - what platform and version are you using? I have looked at the most recent Windows version (1.17) and importing from your bank should not be automatically reconciling, only automatically clearing. And you can definitely edit cleared transactions.DJ

What is the status on this bug? I'd like to buy the software however, I must have the Reconciliation functionality! I run a 64 bit Win v7 OS.

• 1 month later...

First month reconciled just fine. Subsequent months will not reconcile. There is a negative amount presented after entering the ending balance and date with out even reconciling anything. Running Windows 8.1 64 bit on a Surface Pro III. Moneyline is version 1.23. A basic checking program should reconcile accounts easily.

• 1 month later...

Same issue.

Windows 7 Home Premium, 64 bit, Moneyline v1.23

I note the software seems to store the reconciled balance and date of reconciliation to use that as the starting point for the new reconciliation.

In frustration I unreconciled all the transactions from my first month - yet the programme still uses that previously stored balance and reconciliation date when asked to re-reconcile.

I cannot set the start date of the reconciliation period nor the opening balance.

Still love the programme and can live without the bank reconciliation as the balance clearly matches my bank account when viewed on-line.

Martin

• 3 weeks later...

New version Moneyline v1.30 released.

Seems to have this issue fixed......

If proven to be reliable and ongoing.... Thank you.

Just concerned this might only be due to the "first reconciliation" grace reported on all new installs.

Will report back when I try again in a month's time.

Martin

PLEASE, someone help me figure this out. I am using a MAC, and checked and I have the latest version. I am having ALL OF THE SAME issues posted here. I cannot "unreconcile" and now have major screws in the account. Any help is greatly appreciated!!!

• 2 months later...

I am on Windows 10. Moneyline v1.3.

Account Reconcile doesn't seem to work. It will reconcile first month and then shows differences as if the first month hasn't been processed.

Any Answers to this other than : a) don't reconcile

B) find another program ...any suggestions

I am also using Windows 10. and have Moneyline Plus V 1.30. I installed this program on the 5/8/15.

Started putting statement details from the 1/1/15 and Jan reconcile perfectly, no problems. But on entering the transactions for Feb 2015, would reconcile at the end of Feb and showing a negative figure, all the figures in Moneyline matched my statements. It has gone down hill since then for the rest of the year!! It now showing a negative figure ( -£2238.79 for example) for year todate.

Account reconcile still doesn't work.

Why can we not be able to enter the start and finish money values, and dates when reconciling, I am sure this would correct this fault.

I like the program, but I am starting to regret purchasing it. I resorted back to Microsoft Money WHICH WORKS!!!

Can somebody at NCH Software help on this matter please???

• 1 month later...

I'm using windows 10 and a very recently purchased version of this program and the reconcile function only worked the first month. When are we likely to see a this problem resolved? Having paid for this program it appears that this important feature is only available at the first time reconciliation, Some of the programs free to download are better in this respect, and having used microsoft money in the past just puts this offering in the shade.

Any chance a fix is possible?

• 1 month later...

October 15, 2015 and the problem with Reconcile continues.

I purchased Moneyline version 1.22 on 11/28/2014 and it worked for a month and then sporadically. I brought it as Quicken for an IMac just was not the same as the one for a PC. I was unhappy the size of the font could not be changed, nor the column headers, just like MoneyLine.

Thanks Bobricho,

It appears that once NCH have your money they don't care. Your recommendation has appeared at just the right time, I'm also fed up of this supposed accounting software being unable to do simple addition and subtraction.

Cheers.

• 6 months later...

May 2, 2016

I am running a paid version of MoneyLine Plus Version 1.30 in Windows 10. I am having the same reconciliation problems as everyone else. Reconciles to a zero balance the first time, but after that forget it. I also found when creating categories, if you make any changes after creating a parent and subcategories, they don't work when categorizing a transaction. If you delete them and recreate them using the same name, they still don't work. Had to change the name.

• 2 weeks later...

I purchased Moneyline at the end of February 2016 and started using it with effect from 1 March 2016. All went well, I did the first month's bank reconciliation and it all balanced perfectly. From the second reconciliation everything went crazy..... the program keeps on changing the balance of the bank thereby making it not balance at the end of the recon even though everything balances if I manually add it up. It wants to put through a "balancing entry", why ?????????? I am a qualified Bookkeeper and have worked on many accounting programs before, I have NEVER experienced such a frustrating and useless program in my life before. I am at my witts end... I have already twice deleted everything and started all over again and same problems... it's fine for the first recon and then it all gets messed up. I am running Moneyline Plus 1.30 on Windows 10. Anyone have solutions for me????

• 2 months later...

Hi All,

I'm running MoenyLine V2.04 on Windows 10.

I installed it April-ish this year. I thought I was going nuts until I read this discussion forum entry because I'm having exactly the same problem! The first month reconciles just fine, but then the following subsequent months not so much....

I've done similar to "idiot" in that I thought I did something, so , deleted everything and started over from scratch - TO NO AVAIL!!

I want my money back! How do I submit a refund request?

• 1 year later...

There is a fundamental design flaw in the Moneyline reconciliation process. It does not allow for unreconciled deposits and payments. If there are unreconciled items as at the reconcile date, it forces a ''balance adjustment entry'' which throws the balance out. You then have to unreconciled that entry and delete it and then the next month will have the wrong starting balance and won't reconcile. 

I got around the problem by (1) changing the starting balance to force the system to reconcile properly after the balancing entry was deleted, then changing the starting balance back to what it was before. This corrected the beginning balance for the reconciliation. Now I make sure I only ever reconcile to a date on which there are no unreconciled items. Overall, the program is very good, but the developers need to fix this issue. Express Accounts reconciles correctly. They should use the same method.

• 4 months later...

This issue has not been fixed, even after 5 years.  

Windows 10 O/S

Moneyline Plus v. 2.04

FYI - The first month was fine.  The second month did not reconcile properly, so I unchecked/unreconciled ALL transactions, and then reconciled, January and February - worked fine.  March again would not reconcile to the balance shown!! So, I emailed Tech Support.  Answer was: "Thank you for contact NCH Software Support We will be more than glad to assist you today,

The only way to set them as Reconciled, will be to click the "Reconcile Account" option, to mark them as Reconciled, there is no other way, the balance will change... Let us know if you need further assistance,"

I did not ask to change the balance because the balance is correct.  I asked how to mark transactions as reconciled without doing a correcting entry which would screw up the balance!!!

There needs to be a way to mark transactions as "Reconciled" the same way we are able to "Unreconcile".  Simple programming code would do it.   If your programmers cannot do something so simple, give a call to the SplashData / SplashMoney folks - their software has been able to do this for over a decade.