How to work with multiple video tracks?

frepe360

Hi!

I've just recently started to use videopad. I've used it for recording a presentation in which I recorded the speaker using two cameras. I've imported the video files into videopad and synched them up so that I have the same thing shot from two different angles.

This is a two hour presentation.

I would like to select at what times camera A is used and at what times camera B is used when the output video is rendered.

What's the best way to do this?

Thanks in advance.

Hi!

I've just recently started to use videopad. I've used it for recording a presentation in which I recorded the speaker using two cameras. I've imported the video files into videopad and synched them up so that I have the same thing shot from two different angles. This is a two hour presentation. I would like to select at what times camera A is used and at what times camera B is used when the output video is rendered.

One suggestion would be to place the master camera on video track 2, and the syncronized second camera on video track 1, knowing that video track 2 will override track 1.

At the points where you want track 1 to be seen, make IN/OUT splits on track two and remove just that portion of the video - leaving a gap.

Another approach would be to make the IN/OUT splits and drop the opacity for the track 2 clip to zero, which would allow track 1 to be seen during that clip.

Check out this discussion, which also delves into the nuances of crossfades.

Hi

As Borate suggests, put your two clips onto the sequence line..one on track 1 and the other (your cutaways) on track 2.

Track 2 is an overlay track and will cover up track 1. So at the point where you want to cut away to track 2 split track 2. Now either remove (delete) the section to the left of the split, or reduce its opacity to 0%. This will now reveal track 1.

If you play your sequence now you will see track 1 then at the split point, track 2.

Now, where you want to come back to track 1, split track 2 again. Where you want your cutaway to come in again, split track 2 once more and delete (or reduce the opacity of ) the section to the left of this split........and so on to the end of your film.

In brief, you are making gaps in track 2 which will reveal your main film from time to time.....a bit like this.....

____ _______ _____ ___ ___ ___ Track 2 (cutaways)

____________________________________________________ Track 1 (Main track)

Before starting adjust the two tracks so the soundtracks of each are in synch, then mute the one you consider to be the worst.

Nat

• 6 years later...

Check out your other thread - "Two Camera Editing" - where there's a split-track method outlined that will display (a portion of) each track simultaneously.

Tested that approach here, and it worked well.  There was no sync issue with simply creating gaps in track two where track one is to be shown.  In fact, track one can probably be locked.

Hi

There is a way you could have both clips playing simultaneously as well as a final result Track. It's a bit complicated so here is a scenario using images for simplicity. You should be able to extend this to video clips with a bit of concentration....

• Put Clip1 (RED) on Track 1 and Track 3
  • Put Clip2 (GREEN) on Track 2 and Track 4
  • Scale all the clips to 0.5 keeping AR maintained.
  • Use the Position effect to move the clips as follows...

Track 1 (RED) and Track 2  (GREEN) Centre at bottom  (Horizontal..0   Vertical 25)

Track 3 (RED) Top left (Horizontal -25 Vertical -25)

Track 4 (GREEN) Top right (Horizontal 25 Vertical -25.

Tracks will now look something like this......

aa.jpg

All the clips must start together obviously. In the Sequence preview pane will be seen Camera1 (RED) Camera 2 (GREEN) and underneath the result.  Now......

• Play through the timeline and where you want to see just Camera 1 (RED)
  • Split  Video Track 2  (GREEN) at the start of the section
  • Split Video Track 2 (GREEN)  at the end of the section.
  • Delete the split out section from the GREEN Track 2
  • Continue along the timeline splitting and removing the relevant sections from  Track 2 (GREEN)..........
  • bb.jpg
  • Playing the timeline,  the top of the Sequence Preview screen will still show both Camera 1 (RED) and Camera 2 (GREEN) but at the bottom the sequence will now show each in turn where you have decided to swap views.You can now adjust the cut ends in Track 2 if required to set the cut-aways more precisely.
  • When finished Save  Project As (Do this regularly anyway)
  • Return Track 1 and Track 2 to full size and re-centre them (i.e. remove the Scale and Position effects) and delete Track 3 and Track 4  plus any unwanted audio tracks (or mute them) Your timeline should now play as you required.

Worth playing with.

Nat

• 7 months later...
On 9/13/2019 at 4:26 PM, borate said:

Check out your other thread - "Two Camera Editing" - where there's a split-track method outlined that will display (a portion of) each track simultaneously.

Tested that approach here, and it worked well.  There was no sync issue with simply creating gaps in track two where track one is to be shown.  In fact, track one can probably be locked.

I can’t find the “Two camera editing” thread...could you please send me a link to it? 
thank you