Fade in to a Lower third Script

Runetic

I do instructional videos. I like to place (text) key concepts on the lower third of the screen. I can fade out, but the only way I see I can fade in is to cut the video at the fade in point. Is there another way of doing this?

I do instructional videos. I like to place (text) key concepts on the lower third of the screen. I can fade out, but the only way I see I can fade in is to cut the video at the fade in point. Is there another way of doing this?

There is. Don't use the FADE transition. Do this instead (using the 3.x version)...

• Create your text overlay and position it as desired on a higher video track number than the background video.

• Click the * star at the left-bottom of the text overlay. In the VIDEO EFFECTS window that opens - to the right of the green + sign in the OPACITY field - there is a horizontal block with a blue line across its upper edge.

(If you don't see the block that contains the blue line, look to the right of the words "Applied Effects" and click the blue icon with the jagged lines.)

• Click the blue line about a half-inch from its left edge, to create a keyframe (a dot). Then click the far left end of the line (the start of the text overlay) and without letting go of the mouse drag the line to the bottom of the graph (zero opacity).

That's your FADE IN. The more distance between the left edge of the line and the dot to the right, the longer the fade in will be. When done, click CLOSE.

Same process can create a fade out; just use the right side of the blue-line (the end of the text overlay). If you make a mistake - too many dots - right-click on a dot and "remove keyframe."