Bar Line Insertion

Hi everyone,

I downloaded the program yesterday and found it to be very easy and intuitive to use apart from the fact that I am not able to work out how to insert Bar Lines. Not finding any means to insert the bar lines I wondered if they would be automatically inserted once the time, key and number of required notes were inserted on the stave but if so, not on my copy. There appears to be no mention of this in the 'Help' file and I couldn't find any mention of the problem on this website so I would be grateful if someone would let me know what it is that I am doing wrong? Thank you.

Hi sparkenhoe,

Hmm...you can't just insert bar lines into a bar. A bar contains only one bar line which is fixed at the end of the bar.

However in Crescendo, there is no restriction for number of beats you can input to a bar - not necessary consistent with the time signature. Therefore you can put beats in separated bars if you want to divide the bar into separated beats.

There is no dashed line style for the bar line though, which normally used to separate beats in a bar. Is this what you want?

Regards

Hi c_major,

Yes, that is what I want to be able to do and I seem to have found a way to do it!

Open a new untitled score.and before you do anything else, you open the 'score' tab and click on the 'append bar' three times and three vertical bars appear spaced evenly along the stave. Once the notes are placed between the vertical bar lines then, by highlighting between the vertical bar sections and pressing 'auto-format', a creditable attempt is made at evenly spacing the notes, especially if they are all crotchets, minims or semi quavers etc. Some adjustment is needed if there is a mixture of notes.

It would have been good however, if more than three bar lines, say four or five, were available to use and then it wouldn't look so gappy with slow music notation.

Regards

• 1 month later...

I just downloaded this as well and I'm getting very frustrated already. I've read the above and I still don't understand why I can add bars. I've appended per the instructions, but it just adds staves or it's one measure per the entire staff.. This makes no sense. :( Please someone explain this to me before I uninstall the thing....Thanks.

Hi chensa,

I think I understand what's going on and will try to explain it here.

Normally, Crescendo will append the new bar to the same line if the line still have space left. However you can't see the space since the last bar must be stretched to fit the whole line. For some reason, or maybe a bug can change the space size without noticed. Therefore the new bar can no longer be fitted in the line and must be put into a new line. However the same thing happens so the next new bar creates a new line again.

One thing I've notice was that this could happen if you selecting one of the note tools. Try cancel the tool (by right click or press ESC) before you appending new bars.

Also, something you can do if this happened - in fact, you can still change the actual size of the bar manually even if the bar is stretched to fit the whole line. You can changed the bar size of the last bar by dragging the bar line, as any other bars. When you holding the mouse button, a dashed line will indicates the actual size of the bar. Just that when you release the mouse button the dashed line become invisible. In this case, you'll have to shrink the bars on both upper and lower lines until they small enough to fit in a single line.

Hope this helps.

Regards

• 7 months later...
  • 11 months later...

I also am frustrated by bar insertion. Cntr + B places bars only at the end of the score. I've copied and pasted some measures to form an interlude, or where a riff repeats, but if it doesn't fit on the staff, it goes to the next one. That creates a really wide measure on the prior staff, and nothing I've tried allows me to add bar lines to a prior line. It keeps crashing.

The bar insertion problem appears consistently when copying/pasting. I can paste several measures, but the last measure lacks a closing bar, and is too wide (it occupies the remainder of a stave). It's impossible to insert a new bar at the end of the pasted material. Instead it pastes onto the next staff. I've tried adding more notes, hoping to exceed capacity. On one occasion a bar automatically inserted at the end of the first measure, b ut most of the time, it just lets me add notes without auto-insert. And when I try to insert a bar to separate adjacent notes, it locks up.

• 1 year later...

All of the posts I read were written in 2013 and 2014. I am hoping some things have changed since then. I installed the free download in December 2015. I am not as experienced in writing music as most users are, so some of my questions may seem ridiculous to you. I hope you will help me even though you may be laughing the whole time. So, I needed to take the music of a hymn at my church and write English words in lieu of the original words which are in Greek. As if that weren't complicated enough the notations for the Greek music are totally different that standard notations.

I have muddled my way way though, but I inserted bar lines and now I need to change the bar lines because I changed the value of some of the notes. I cannot delete bar lines. I tried to follow the instructions in the User Manual, but when I try to do what it says, my words move around.

Is there a feature that would automatically insert bars based on the time signature and value of notes? If not, could you tell me step by step how to delete a bar line. Since I was not able to accomplish that by reading the User Manual, I am asking for the step by step. I apologize for being so elementary.

Hi Yaya7xs,

Welcome to the forums and there is absolutely no need to apologise - we have all been beginners at some point.

There is currently no feature which will add bar lines automatically based on note duration - although it is something that is being considered.

However, you can delete a bar line by simply hovering the mouse over the line, right clicking it and pressing delete in the context menu.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Ben

• 3 years later...