Adding Transparent Watermark

aSnowyEvening

Hi there,

I am having difficulty adding watermarks to my video correctly. I have a .png file that I would like to use with a transparent background. However, I add the watermark to the video, the background of the file appears to be black instead of transparent. Am I doing something incorrectly, or is this a bug with this version of the software?

I'm using v2.12

Thanks in advance.

(Alternatively, is there an easier way to add white text with a black outline to a video with this version of the software?)

I have a .png file that I would like to use with a transparent background. However, I add the watermark to the video, the background of the file appears to be black instead of transparent.

I'm using v2.12

Thanks in advance.

(Alternatively, is there an easier way to add white text with a black outline to a video with this version of the software?)

I cannot comment on version 2.12, but with 3.0 text can be overlayed easily. After creating the text and dragging it to the timeline, just above the video you want to watermark, right-click the text

file and choose "current effect properties" and click the small arrow to the right of "auto levels." Choose OPACITY and run it down to about 25%. Close. There's your watermark.

The opacity setting may work with the PNG as an overlay as well. If there is an opacity setting in 2.12, test it.

3.0/3.01 is available for install as a trial at the NCH WEB site.

Thanks for the quick response!

I know how to overlay text in this version as well, the problem is that the text needs to have a black outline so that it can always be legible. Sadly, fonts can only be one colour, so the simple overlaying text on top of the video won't work here.

The workaround I thought of was to create an image in Gimp with a transparent background, write the text I need in the outline font, fill in the text in white, save it, and then use this image as a watermark over top of the video with the opacity of the image so that the image is completely opaque.

The problem is, the area where the original image should be transparent (and is when using other programs), is filled in with black when used in VideoPad. So instead of floating text, the watermark looks like text in a black box.

As you can tell from the version I have, it has been a while since I've downloaded VideoPad. Am I able to save and export my projects without restriction using the free trial of 3.0/3.01? I am trying to cut down on unnecessary spending, so I can't pay for an upgraded version at this time.

Hi

Not sure about version 2,12 but similar to Borate's useful reply refering to Version 3.0, in 2.41 if you want a watermark of sorts, you can add a text overlay, position it where you want. Set your font to, say, Ariel and then make the outline white (right hand "A")and the letters black (lefthand "A") (But you can experiment easily enough) Move the Opacity slider to about 1/4 along the track to suit requirements and then drag the overlay out to extend the length to what you want. The "watermark" will remain in view for the whole clip without obscuring the film.

Nat

Thank-you both for your responses. I ended up upgrading to version 3.01, it looks like there are no restrictions to saving my projects which is good. I was able to add a text overlay with as per your posts, with a black outline applied to the white text. I'll be purchasing the full version as funds become available.

Thank-you both again!