Conversion Format

Kross

Golden Records outputs to .wav or .mp3 formats only. The link to the specs is here: http://www.nch.com.au/golden/index.html.

You will need conversion software to convert your .wav (preferred format) to alac or flac. There is some free sound file conversion software available, and also NCH produces software that will convert .wav and .mp3 to FLAC (not sure about ALAC) format.

Hope this helps. Have a great day.

Regards,

-Phil

Kross: I am not an expert on audio file formats. Personally I always use best quality .wav file output, as .mp3 is compressed, and my video software sometimes chokes on .mp3 files. It always accepts .wav files. I have never used FLAC files. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable on this forum will chime in.

Hope this helps. Have a great day.

Regards,

-Phil

While Phil has already given you the best answers, I’ll sum up with my two cents.

If your end usage will be with mp3, then by all means save your Golden Records recordings as such.

If you plan to burn cds from your vinyl (or tape) recordings, it would be best to save them as WAV files. Format: PCM, and Attributes: 44.100kHz, 16bit, 172kb/sec.

You can set GR to burn a disc in the project wizard, however, for various reasons I often will want to work further with the files, usually in WavePad, before I am satisfied with the project quality and tracking. I then burn discs with Express Burn.

FLAC is a lossless compression; mp3 is a lossy compression. There is nothing to be gained by converting an mp3 file to FLAC. If your desired end result is a FLAC file, then start with WAV and convert that to FLAC. The NCH software designed to convert audio formats is Switch. Check the NCH Switch page to learn what file formats it supports; the version I use (4.22) does not convert to ALAC. It works very well converting WAV to FLAC, or mp3 too for that matter.

• 7 years later...

I can't save my ripped LP's in wave 24/96 or 24/192. I tried to open preferences and change the wave output format to custom 24/96 or 24/192, but when a save the file is always 16/44.1.

How I can fix this?

Let's try doing a clean install and delete all the cache of the program. Uninstall your software first, then go to the folder location below on your computer then delete the Golden Records folders:

C:\ProgramData\NCH Software
C:\Users\(Your computer profile)\AppData\Roaming\NCH Software\Golden Records

If you can't find the AppData folder, set Windows to show hidden files and folders with the steps from this link: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/14201/windows-show-hidden-files.

After deleting the Golden Records folder, restart your computer then install it again from the next link: https://www.nch.com.au/golden/index.html

That should do it. Please try it again after that and see if that fixes the issue.