Newbie problems

Marcuse

Hi, downloaded what presumably is the latest free non-commercial/home only version 3. (?) and still finding my way round via tutorials, however having just saved a 40 minute ski holiday video all I'm finding in the file is .vpj size 2kb which sounds very odd. Nothing happens when clicking on it either ?

Any help much appreciated as I'm very much a newbie to all this....

Thanks in advance

Hi, downloaded what presumably is the latest free non-commercial/home only version 3. (?) and still finding my way round via tutorials, however having just saved a 40 minute ski holiday video all I'm finding in the file is .vpj size 2kb which sounds very odd. Nothing happens when clicking on it either?

When you FILE|SAVE PROJECT to a small .vpj file you are saving only the pointers to the files that were used in that project so you can return to make further edits. Clicking on a .vpj should open Videopad, right where you left off when the project was saved - provided that you have not moved the source files.

To save the actual production use FILE|SAVE EXPORT VIDEO. Then make your choice of where and how you want the finalized masterpiece to be stored.

Hi again. I've got version 2.41 which from reading a thread on here is safer than the latest one, but really having a struggle to follow the video tutorials on editing with the in and out points, whether you keep the green or the white clips, whether it should be in Timeline or Storyboard, finally there's no green arrow. Also whether I've got the free non-commercial one or not as I keep getting a message that it's due to expire in a few days. I'd upload a screen pic if it's possible....?

Thanks for any help !

Hi Marcuse

In VP2.41...

To edit using the IN/OUT markers is not too complicated....

Set VP to Timeline mode.

Add your clip to the media list. You can edit it from here if you wish as follows...

Left click the name of the clip on the list and it will appear in the left hand preview pane with thumbnails below it.

Beneath the line of thumbnails you will see a green bar with the clip times marked on it.

Play the clip by clicking the grey triangle and when the red cursor line reaches the point where you want the clip to START click the RED flag button. This will set the IN point and all the green bar to the left of this point will turn white.

The cursor line however will continue to move.

When it reaches the point where you wish the clip to finish, click the BLUE flag button. This will set the OUT point and all the remaining green bar to the right of this point will turn white.

The clip section now marked by the green bar will be your new edited clip.

You will probably find it easier to DRAG the red cursor line to your desired places instead of playing the clip. Whichever way you do it, you can adjust the IN OUT points buy dragging the cursor and re-clicking the respective flag button.

Once you are satisfied with your selection you can click the downward pointing green arrow (Add clip to sequence) to add your edited clip to the sequence line. In the preview pane you will still see your clip but now with the IN/OUT markers showing. (The green arrow will have disappeared).

You can now, if you wish, drag these red and blue markers in/out in the preview window to adjust the length of the actual clip as seen on the sequence line. The green bar will lengthen or shorten accordingly.

You can also edit the clip if you have already placed it on the sequence by simply dragging the cursor line to your start point and splitting the sequence. (Using the Split button on the left)

Select the left hand portion of the clip, (goes blue) and then right click and select menu option to remove it.

Move the cursor line to the point where you want the clip to finish and split the sequence once more. Select the right hand, unwanted section and remove it in the same way.

You will now be left with your shortened clip.

If the "ends" are not exactly where you want them you can recover the chopped off bits by simply dragging the ends of the edited clip out a little. (Or drag them in to shorten the clip more). Note...By placing the cursor on the ends of the clip you will see it change to vertical lines at which point you can drag.

You will soon find, in fact that one split made just before your start point will suffice as the clip/s on the squence line can now be shortened etc. by selecting them and then dragging the ends in/out. Note that once a split has been made the red/blue markers will appear in the left preview pane and will move as you drag the ends of your clip. (You can also move them manually as described above)

You can monitor pretty exactly the start/finish points in the right hand preview pane.

Hope this helps.

Nat