2.41 - "New clip"

borate

2.41 HELP states the following...

"You can also "cut" new clips out of an existing clip by clicking the "Save as new clip" button to the right of the In / Out flags (icon of video file with star in top right corner). When clicked, you will see a new clip has been created and added to the media list area."

Though that button exists in 3.0 I can't spot it in 2.41. Do you? Please describe fully. Thanks.

Hi

I am sure you know all of this however......

If you are using VP version 2.41 with a clip in the media list window and an empty sequence,...

Left or right click on the clip name and It will appear in the left hand preview pane.

Beneath the main image is a bar containing thumbnails of the clip and beneath this a green bar displaying the time points of the clip, the red cursor line and the IN/OUT markers as red/blue arrow heads.The red marker is at the extreme left and the blue marker at the extreme right of the green bar, although this may not be visible unless you scroll the preview pane to the right. The length of green bar indicates the active clip length. If you haven't moved the IN/OUT flags the whole length will be green.

Below the green bar are the Prev frame/Play/Next frame/Goto Start/Goto End buttons.

Moving the right of this group you should see the IN/OUT time value boxes and next to these the buttons for setting the position of Red/Bue marker flags.

Clicking either of these moves the relevant flag to the cursor position.

Note: If, by chance you have clicked these in succession without moving the red cursor line between clicks, then BOTH markers move to the cursor position (ie the same position) and in effect you will have no clip. If this is the case the next button along which is the "Save as New Clip" button will be inactive.There must be a length of usable clip showing...i.e. with a green bar.

To the right of the two flag buttons is (or should be) the "Save as a new clip" button which looks like a couple of film frames with a yellow star on it. If your clip is showing some green bar, then this button will be active and clicking it will create a copy of the selected clip length in the media list window.

Using the Green down arrow will add the length to the sequence.

If you scroll the window right there is a zoom control for the preview.

I don't think there is a setting that eliminates the "Save as a new clip" button entirely, although I have a niggly feeling it was mentioned some time ago on the forum.

Anyway hope this helps.

Nat

Thanks for checking in Matt,

Unfortunately, in my 2.41 the interface isn't quite as you describe. Until a clip is placed and selected on the time line, the red cursor line, with the IN/OUT markers, does not appear. The "frames" button - yellow star - never shows up. I HAVE seen it in other versions. And in 3.0 I believe that the markers do appear just as you indicate, without the need to first place the clip on the timeline. 3.0/.01, however, have problems...

As you appear to be THE man here (NCH employee?) perhaps you can shed some light on progress in solving the 3.0 transition problem mentioned in another thread. "Support" will not communicate. I've also seen a freeze woe with 3.0 in Windows 8, where a gap is created on the timeline, then scrolled past (to timeline end) with the cursor. Program sometimes becomes non-responsive and must be closed. "Phantom" instances must be killed via taskmanager.

For a look at what 3.0 does to transitions see http://hevanet.com/hb/freeze.mov You will note FROM video freezes during the effect, and that the FROM image jumps when the effect begins. A killer.

Hi

Sorry, I have no connection to NCH. :) I just use the program (v2.41) a lot and help out where I can...even if I am sometimes wrong. I have tried v3.0 but didn't like the multiple tracks much and found some features didn't work correctly (at least to my mind) so I have gone back to 2.41 which does most of what I want with no problems.

Now....You can solve your problem with the non-appearence of the "Save as a new clip" button if you click the "Toggle Media list style" button which is the icon with the little blue arrow at the right hand end of the box immediately above the media list window. This should replace the button as well as the IN/OUT markers.

Sounds like 3.0 is causing you problems

Nat

Hi

Sorry, I have no connection to NCH. :) I just use the program (v2.41) a lot and help out where I can...even if I am sometimes wrong. I have tried v3.0 but didn't like the multiple tracks much and found some features didn't work correctly (at least to my mind) so I have gone back to 2.41 which does most of what I want with no problems.

The same here.

Now....You can solve your problem with the non-appearence of the "Save as a new clip" button if you click the "Toggle Media list style" button which is the icon with the little blue arrow at the right hand end of the box immediately above the media list window. This should replace the button as well as the IN/OUT markers.

Fine! Probably never would have stumbled upon that. HELP needs help - with more extensive info, an index and search function.

Sounds like 3.0 is causing you problems.

It's not unusual that a company hasn't the resources to extensively support "trial" users, but as they are the ones who may spend $ on the product - if it works well - it pays to make an effort. One would hope that NCH would lend assurances to a potential buyer that (serious) problems are known and being addressed. I'd buy version 3, as it has a few extra bells - such as thumbnailed bins for video/audio/images - but its transition glitch is fatal. Occurs in both Win and 8 and is repeatable on most, but not all transitions. You might confirm that yourself?? 2.41 is better in that respect and has never frozen, as has its successor.

While it's understandable that NCH wants to push their integrated concept, comments on the Net hint that folks don't appreciate their right-click menus (shell extensions) being populated without permission with programs that they don't even have. Further, in my opinion, "install on demand" should request user permission first, if only as a courtesy.

Looks like it's up to us, Matt. ^_^ Thanks for the feeback.