Saved video is blank.

brittont

I'm very new; I'm obviously missing something. Using the free version of VideoPad V3.0.

I'm trying to extract a portion of a video clip, but when I save it, all I get is a blank (black) image.

I've edited the original clip (13:13 minutes) to a new sequence (43.4 seconds), The sequence plays correctly in VideoPad. I'm saving it to disk. I've tried several formats, including a couple of presets. The output is the correct length but all I get is a blank/black image.

The clip is a recording of some old 8mm home movies in VOB format; there is no sound. The clip was recorded in Canada and sent down here (NZ) on a DVD. The DVD doesn't play on my DVD player but does on my computer (Win XP SP3).

When I tried to import the original clip into Windows Movie Maker it said it didn't have the right codec. I know what a codec is but have no idea which codec is used in this clip. videoPad doesn't seem to have any trouble with it.

Any ideas why I'm not able to save my edited clip?

Hi

I can't say what your problem is with V3 but it is a Beta version although the few films I have edited with this version when trying it out have been created O.K., I still prefer VP2.41

I have re-edited many super 8mm films copies with VP2.41 You could download this version and have another go....However, I think VP3 is much the same as 2.41 as far as the saving to your PC so you may have the wrong settings.

There should be no problem with VOB files. Steps I use are....

If your clip plays OK in preview then click the "Save Movie" button and select "Computer/Data"

In the drop down window, enter the destination and name for your clip

Click the down button for Preset and select HD720 (Up to you here but this is OK for me)

File format will be .avi

Resolution will be 1280 x 720 - HD 720p

Frame Rate will be 25 (TV PAL) ..but select NTSC from the menu if appropriate.(Preset will return to "custom" in this case)

Now click the "Encoder Options" button.

Select either H264 (Native) (Which is the default and which I use and plays with the VLC player and Irfanview but only plays sound with WMP)....or MPEG4(Native) which should play with Windows Media Player.

Ignore the Video Compression Settings

Sound Compressor should be MP3 (Native)

Sound Format 44100 Hz, 320 kbps, Stereo

Click OK to return to the Video Output Setup screen

Click OK to save your sequence to your designated folder.

For me these have worked in V3.0

Nat

Thanks for the reply Nat,

My copy of VideoPad V3 was not marked as a Beta, and was the only version I could find to download from the NCH site. I found another site where I was able to download version 2.41. It worked! Many thanks!!

Given my experience with it, it appears V3.0 may have a bug in it.

Tom

• 3 weeks later...

Similar problems,

Hi, I’m new with VideoPad and so far I’m still in the learning mode. As expected, I have a problem.

When I export my movie to create a DVD movie, the system scans for available driver, so far so good.

But the burned DVD can not play on any of my DVD players (SONY), but plays very well on all my PC’s.

Regardless if I use DVD re-writable or DVD-R+.

But if I save it as computer data (.mpg) and then burn it back, I can read it on my DVD players.???

Any “clue” of what could be my problem(s).

Thanks, Retired

When I export my movie to create a DVD movie, the system scans for available driver, so far so good.

But the burned DVD can not play on any of my DVD players (SONY), but plays very well on all my PC’s.

But if I save it as computer data (.mpg) and then burn it back, I can read it on my DVD players.???

Tested 3.01 here with a DVD/RW disk. It successfully saved a one-minute movie comprised of two clips, though the process did throw an error at the conclusion of "finalizing."

Plays on both the PC's DVD drive and on a free-standing DVD player - which it likely would not if the disk were not finalized. Videopad caused that to happen automatically; I see no user input for that process.

borate

Many thanks for yr prompt answer.

I re- re-re- tried again but SADLY no success. Same result on my other PC, using Free VideoPad 2.41.

I will definitely continue to work on this problem. ( I have lots of time now LOL)

In the mean time I will return to my old R_X__ which works OK with no problem, just heavy to manipulate.

Thanks. Retired.