Volume Equalization

bytemylobster

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Switch does not have the function to Normalize or Equalize files, you can do that using WavePad by going to the edit option and click edit files with WavePad.

If it is true that Switch does NOT have the function to Normalize or Equalize files, then why is that function listed at the bottom of the Options/Conversions tab under Audio Processing. I am converting .WMA to .WAV using either version 3.00 or 4.79 and no matter what I try the Normalization function appears to do nothing at all.

Hi,

Firstly, please note that this is quite an old thread (started more than 2 years ago). Secondly, Switch *does* support normalization. However, you will not notice much change if your audio files are already similar in volume or if they have a high dynamic range.

Regards,

Ben

Hi Ben,

Thank you for your reply. I understand what you said but here is what I have done. In order to determine if checking normalization did anything at all, I set the RMS level to 70% (maximum) and to 1% (0% minimum) converting the very same file from .WMA to .WAV. On playing the two different Wave files using Windows Media Player, Windows Media Center or RealPlayer on Windows 7.0 Professional there is absolutely no discernible change in volume. The file converted to 1% is 84 bytes longer than the one converted to 70% so something has changed. I put both Wave files back into Switch and played them there but again no difference. This is for playing over a telephone line, so on conversion to .wav I am using the recommended settings: PCM uncompressed and 8000 Hz, 8 bits, Mono. I don't know if that would make any difference or that I am converting to .WAV. I believe I first checked this at the default setting for converting to .WAV which had higher values for the second set of settings (Hz, bits) as well as being stereo but again no difference. I am totally mystified here and would greatly appreciate your response again.

Mark

Perhaps I do not really understand how "normalization" is supposed to work. I had expected that it would adjust the recording volume such as to match the RMS value to a standard set by the RMS level. But is the base of the standard of which we are selecting a percentage actually determined from the very same recording as opposed to a totally independent fixed standard? Is Normalization about flattening the dynamic range of the recording as opposed to adjusting the overall volume? Thank you.

Hi there,

Your understanding of how it should work is basically correct. Would you mind sending me a PM with a link to your file? It is possible that there is a bug, but I will need to look at the source file to confirm it.

Thanks for your help!

Regards,

Ben

• 3 years later...

Reviving this old thread.

We have been using Switch for more than 10 years. Recently updated to a new server and bought a new version of the app.

We are converting voicemail audio files (primarily .wav) to various formats (primarly .ogg and .mp3). On the new version it seems that the audio volume is lower even though the source files haven't changed.

It looks like the 'Normalize' option could take care of it, but we are running from command line and there is not option listed for it.

In another thread, somebody opined that if a setting is changed in the app, it would apply to subsequent conversions. Is this accurate? I suppose we can do some testing but would would be much more comfortable with some knowledge behind it or even better yet, a command line switch.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/29/2018 at 4:52 AM, Scribbious said:

We have been using Switch for more than 10 years. Recently updated to a new server and bought a new version of the app.

We are converting voicemail audio files (primarily .wav) to various formats (primarly .ogg and .mp3). On the new version it seems that the audio volume is lower even though the source files haven't changed.

It looks like the 'Normalize' option could take care of it, but we are running from command line and there is not option listed for it.

In another thread, somebody opined that if a setting is changed in the app, it would apply to subsequent conversions. Is this accurate? I suppose we can do some testing but would would be much more comfortable with some knowledge behind it or even better yet, a command line switch.

Yes, you can change the settings in the app and all subsequent conversions will use this.

• 1 month later...
On 11/28/2018 at 12:52 PM, Scribbious said:

Our testing indicates that changing the setting in the app has no impact. We have also looked at graphic representations of levels in various apps and see no change. Ideally a switch within the command line interface would be preferred, but even the inherited settings would be nice if it worked.