Overlay text

borate

In tutorial #2 at http://www.nchsoftwa...d/tutorial.html I see the following tabs: Media list, effects, transitions and overlay.

However, in the UNregistered VideoPad user interface the tabs are: Sequences, video files, audio files, images.

Why the discrepancy? Where's the OVERLAY choice? Perhaps this is a limitation of the free version of the program.

Gracias

Heya Borate,

The tutorial you are refering to was taken from Videopad Version 2.20.

Looking at the interface of Version 2.41, the functionality of this tab has been moved to a dialog

which will appear when you press the '+' button located to the left of the overlay track.

I have attached an image indicating the location of this button for you.

With the release of Videopad Version 3.00, these tutorials will be updated to reflect the new interface.

This should be completed very soon.

Videopad2_2013-01-17_08-24-28.png

Thanks for the feedback. Unfortunately, when your attachment is clicked ... "You do not have permission to view this attachment." (Using the latest BETA free version.)

The OVERLAY will be text. After creating a short text clip I can locate no + sign anywhere on the screen. Nor is there any reference whatsoever, under any drop-down menu or submenu, to "overlay."

Hi

If you are using VP version 2.41 (Unregistered free version) the tabs are: Media list, Effects and Transitions.

The Media files you may add are Images, sound and video clips in various formats.

If you want to add Overlays then these can be Images, text and videos.

To add text or images you must click the green cross on the left where the grey box is labelled "Overlay Track"

This will bring up a window where you have the choice of adding an image/video clip or text overlay.

Choosing Text, you enter your text.

Once you have confirmed the text, it is placed in the Overlay track in a grey box at the cursor position and will show some of the text depending on its length.

Choosing the Image or video option. you browse to the folder on your PC containing your image or video clip.

Once you have selected and confirmed your image of video, it is added to the media list and copied down to the overlay track at the cursor position where it will appear as a grey box containing a thumbnail image of the clip.

By default the overlay (text/video or image) appears on the main sequence display at the bottom of the screen in the centre.

If you now left click the overlay box under the sequence you open the controls for the overlay in the left hand preview pane.

If the overlay is a video, you have scroll; in/out cut points for the video, size;opacity controls, fade and position plus chroma effects and border controls.

If the overlay is text then the control screen will have scroll; size; opacity; font; text colour options; fade; border and position controls.

The left hand pane will preview your sequence along with the overlay.

You can position the overlay by dragging it along the sequence and alter its length by dragging out the ends of the grey box.

It is also possible to put one overlay on top of another to obtain "multiscreen" effects.

The overlay can also be linked to the main sequence clip.

Hope this helps

Nat

Hi Nat,

As mentioned, the latest BETA 3.0 version is what's being used here. There is no gray box with the word "overlay" and the tab labels read: Sequences, Video Files, Audio Files, Images, not Media list, Effects and Transitions.

Perhaps this is where our communication is breaking down. As I noted, the attachment in the earlier message from the moderator is not downloadable or viewable.

I guess someone who is using 3.0 will have to update us on where "overlay" lies. ^_^

Click HERE to see the screen that I see.

Hi

Right, I can see where you are coming from. My references were to version 2.41. I did downloaded version 3.0 and spent a bit of time trying to edit a few simple films but have to say that I didn't like it as much (at all even) as 2.41 and have switched back.

Best of luck

Nat

Fine Nat,

I was about to conclude that my eyes were prematurely failing.

Located a YouTube tutorial for 3.0, likely just posted, and found the answer. At its simplest, text overlay is added as track two. It appears as an insert over track one.

Thanks