Windows 7, Express Dictate and "do you want the following program to make changes to this computer"

keywest

I have been using ED 4.12 for years and in the recent period have had issues with it on windows 7. Now every time I start it I get a message from windows:

Do you want the following program to make changes to this computer?

That dialog is referring to express.exe. I have a colleague who also uses 4.12 with windows 7, but he does not have this issue. It may be that he has UAC completely turned off, but I am not sure.

If a 5.x version of ED would solve this I'd upgrade, but I'm not sure that it would.

I have tried altering the windows 7 compatibility so that it's running for xp sp3, and tried with and without admin rights and it does not help.

I have been using ED 4.12 for years and in the recent period have had issues with it on windows 7. Now every time I start it I get a message from windows:

Do you want the following program to make changes to this computer?

That dialog is referring to express.exe. I have a colleague who also uses 4.12 with windows 7, but he does not have this issue. It may be that he has UAC completely turned off, but I am not sure.

If a 5.x version of ED would solve this I'd upgrade, but I'm not sure that it would.

I have tried altering the windows 7 compatibility so that it's running for xp sp3, and tried with and without admin rights and it does not help.

Hi. I know how frustrating it is to try to use and/or configure Windows 7. It's not a good OS, in my opinion. I suffered with the same issue as you, until someone suggested the following:

"Try UNCHECKING the option to "Run as Administrator". Right-click on the shortcut, look at Properties and look for the "Run as Administrator" option. Remove the checkmark. (Note: you may have to do that in several places, for instance: your 'shortcut' to the program, on the program's .exe file itself, etc.). It did, and I am no longer subjected to M$'s rediculous and redundant UAC pop-up! M$ could and should have made it an easy option to deal with, for programs that we use constantly like IE, etc. -- The OS is stripped-down to a point of bare functionality. We just have to deal with it.I wish you luck!