Saving/Exporting as DVD

dtpopo

Hello.

I've created a home move using VideoPad, complete with homemade vides, pictures and audio. I am hoping to Save/Export the complete video now. I've created a .wmv file for PC viewing, but now I want to make the video a DVD that can be played in a DVD player. I click save and DVD was teh default option, so I clicked it but nothing happened. I am based in the U.S. w/ a Panasonic DVD player. I know formats (NTSC v. PAL) can vary. Does anyone know

1) How I can save to a DVD?

2) Any formatting changes that need to be made for optimal playback/resolution?

3) Can I use a blank CD-R or DVD-R?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Hi

To export as a DVD

Open your saved project into VP. (You DID save it didn't you?)

Left click the "Save Movie" tab on the toolbar.

Left click the "Disc" option.

Left click the "Make DVD Movie" button.

Enter a name for your Disc.

Select the drive you are going to use if you have more than one.

Insert a blank DVD-R or -RW into the drive. (I prefer to do a trial with a rewritable disc just to check it works OK)

Select your video format...as you are in the US left click the NTSC option.

Left click the Aspect ratio for your output film.

Click OK

If you have not added any chapters (or bookmarks) to your film you will get a window up telling you this with the option to return and add chapters or to continue without chapters.

Select to continue and VP should burn your video to the DVD. There will be a progress bar at the botton right of the screen whilst this happening.

DVD will eject when finished.

Nat

Nat gave you the full answer, but I tried what you said you did and when I clicked the "Make DVD Movie" button I expected it to start making the movie. Then I noticed the "OK" button on the bottom, which put the show on the road (disk). My money says that's what went wrong.

Oldmartian

Hi

"Select your video format...as you are in the US left click the NTSC option.

Left click the Aspect ratio for your output film.

Click OK

If you have not added any chapters (or bookmarks) to your film you will get a window up telling you this with the option to return and add chapters or to continue without chapters."

Yup...Half way down.... :)

Hope the result is OK.

Nat

I followed all of these steps and the video saved (wrote) to a blank DVD-RW. The video played just fine on the PC (Windows 7 Media PLayer) but when I put the DVD in the DVD player connected to the TV, it never played. No audio or video. It was almost like the DVD player just tried and tried and tried to read the DVD-RW disc but nothing ever happened.

Any suggestions?

Hi

Can't really say why its not working as these are the settings I use except I use PAL. I assume you have set the PAL/NTSC to the correct setting for your area. :mellow: Have you tried to explore the DVD to see what has been written to it? There should be a VIDEO_TS folder containing VOB and other files. Perhaps somebody else out there has an answer.

Failing that and you still can't get it to play...

If you have "Windows DVD maker" or "Sothink Movie DVD maker" (Free,) you could resave your film to your PC as an avi file and then create your DVD with one of these programs. As its a DVD-RW it will be automatically erased before the save.

Browse to a suitable saving destination.

Click the Preset down arrow and select HD 720 (or any other suitable format) Output format will be avi.

Click the Framerate down arrow and select PAL or NTSC as appropriate for your area.

Under "Encoder Options" select MP3 Native for the sound compressor.

Click OK

Click OK

VP will render your avi to your selected folder. If its a long video it may take some little time.

Once it is finished you can open WDVDM and load the avi, choose a menu etc. (The Sothink free version is similar)

The resulting DVDs have always played for me even on different players.

Nat

• 3 weeks later...

I have been trying out VideoPad and I had the same problem that the DVD I created cannot be read by my Philips DVD video recorder/player, even though it will play on my PC. I tried burning the DVD on two different burners with the same negative result. I believe that I have discovered what is causing the problem, and I have a somewhat clumsy work-around for it. To make a long story short, I discovered that the DVD created by the Philips recorder has "ISO9660, UDF (1.02)" for the File System. The DVD image created by VideoPad has "ISO9660, Joliet, UDF (1.02)" for the File System. According to a posting on the forum for ImgBurn software (http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showtopic=1778) a video DVD should be created with "ISO9660, UDF (1.02)." Using WinZip I extracted the VIDEO_TS folder from the image file created by VideoPad. I ignored the AUDIO_TS folder, since it was empty. Using ImgBurn I created a DVD with the VIDEO_TS folder and File System "ISO9660, UDF (1.02)." I burned DVDs of this image on two different burners and both were readable by the Philips (and on the PC). I did not experiment with including the empty AUDIO_TS folder in the image, but I seriously doubt that it would have made a difference. It would appear that the Joliet file system is a problem for some DVD players. I would hope that it would not be difficult for NHC to fix VideoPad to omit the Joliet file system from the DVD output. I have purchased and used other NHC software (WavePad and Switch), but I don't don't see much point in using VideoPad if it cannot do the main thing I want, which is to take video from a recorded DVD, edit it, and burn a new DVD that will work in DVD players.