Recommended video format for videopad

acraick

2 members have voted

1. 1. Through peoples experiences, which video format works best with videopad transitions

• mpeg2
    • uncompressed AVI
    • divx\xvid
    • other

Hi,

I have a mixture of videos i want to add to create single output video. Some from iphone 3gs and others from a Lumix DMC-FT10 (Quicktime MotionJPEG). I notice that they all work in videopad however the transition dont work very well. On the fade, one video doesn't start playing untill the fade has completed or on crossfade the image quality is very pixelated.

I assume this is due to trying to transition between differing video formats or the formats being used aren't very suitable (quicktime). I know for example some compressed video formats aren't very suitable for editing because of the way they fill in the (b)etween frames as part of their compression algorithm.

What video format should i first convert these videos all too to ensure that videopad is going to be able to edit them optimally ? Comments below would be appreciated.

Thanks

--- What video format should i first convert these videos all too to ensure that videopad is going to be able to edit them optimally ---

In my experience, .avi is the universal video format, as .wav is the universal audio format.

But there are other things to worry about, mostly frame rate and the size (as viewed) of your different videos. Mixing different frame rates, or different viewing sizes, is unlikely to be successful.

If you must convert frame rates or size, probably your best bet is VirtualDub (Google for it). It's been around for years and is something of a de facto standard in video editing. VirtualDub does not have effects, but otherwise it can open, edit, and convert almost anything--almost.

There's a learning curve to VirtualDub, but YouTube has a lot of help videos--some garbage, some not, as usual.

Hope this might be of some help.

-al-

--- What video format should i first convert these videos all too to ensure that videopad is going to be able to edit them optimally? ---

Addendum. It looks like I'm old-school in the field of converting formats. Here's cnet's list of video converters. Can 15 million people be wrong?

(yes of course they can, but that's another story)

http://download.cnet.com/windows/video-converters/?tag=mncol%3Bsort&rpp=30&sort=editorsRating+asc

- al -