hear my voice while recording it

raphael

Hi,

I would like to hear via headphone what I am recording via microphone. I mean SIMULTANEOUSLY - AT THE SAME TIME - HEAR WHILE I SPEAK ...!

The reason for that is that I want to learn Spanish. So I need a "language lab"-like software. You can check and learn a lot better, when you hear the sound of your voice "from the outside".

If I am recording from let's say a CD I can hear what is being recorded, because my soundcard is playing it. But it is different when recording a voice via mic.

--> I think once I am recording something with WavePad I should no longer hear what my soundcard is playing but instead what WavePad is recording (--> change of source for headphone/line out). P.S.: Seeing the graph of the recording simultaneously would also be nice ;-)

What do you think? Would be great to hear your comment!

Thanks!

Raphael

Hi Raphael:

I think everything you want is on your Windows Volume Control panel (right click on the little speaker in the System Tray, and select OPEN VOLUME CONTROLS).

Close the fader marked WAVE (which will be the output from WAVEPAD while it's recording), and then adjust the CD PLAYER fader for your recorded "teacher" and adjust the MICROPHONE fader for your own voice. Even if I forget to close the WAVE playback fader while recording, WAVEPAD seems to "mute" its own output while recording.

Is this what you want to listen to while you're recording?

I'm using v2.10.

Jerry

• 1 month later...
Hi Raphael:

I think everything you want is on your Windows Volume Control panel (right click on the little speaker in the System Tray, and select OPEN VOLUME CONTROLS).

Close the fader marked WAVE (which will be the output from WAVEPAD while it's recording), and then adjust the CD PLAYER fader for your recorded "teacher" and adjust the MICROPHONE fader for your own voice.  Even if I forget to close the WAVE playback fader while recording, WAVEPAD seems to "mute" its own output while recording.

Is this what you want to listen to while you're recording?

I'm using v2.10.

Jerry

Hi Jerry

Thank you for your reply! I haven't been checking the page out for quite some time...

Unfortunately your solution does not solve my problem. I'm also using the latest version 2.1. I can record my voice and I can replay the recording afterwards. That is not the problem, and it is no big achievement. What I am looking for is a REAL TIME playback. I would like to hear via headphone what I am recording via microphone. I mean SIMULTANEOUSLY - AT THE SAME TIME - HEAR WHILE I SPEAK...

If you know a solution to that I am anxious to hear about it. Maybe I need a different software for that!?

Thanks!

Raphael

• 13 years later...

I have a computer that lets me hear while i speak or sing,we have a lot of fun with it.I have 4 computers and only this one does this.I got it used and it just does it. I have tried everthing to get my other computers to do it.It has nothing to do with the sound mixer controls on the bottom right corner of windows. The only thing I can think is it is hardware . I miss hearing while i sing. that computer is put away.

Hello Rebnek,

Thank you for contacting us and sadly, WavePad does not have the option to monitor the audio you are recording live.   So far, doing live monitoring is something you can achieve through Windows recording options. You may wan to go to your audio control panel, recordings and select the device you are recording from and change the settings to listen to this device. If you  are not sure where to find those options you may want to check with Microsoft support for assistance. 

Thank you for the advice One of my previous computers acted like a pa system  that recorded. I think it must have been special sound card Or jumper issue. Anyway I have tried all the software options windows offers (very limited) I may look that old computer over maybe pirate the sound card. In any case I certainly appreciate your input Thank You again. 

• 2 weeks later...