Downgrading from ES Pro Trial to the Free Version

mttz5294

I have used ES transcription software for many years and have always used the free version. I was checking for updates on this program and a box popped up saying that there was an updated version, so I clicked on the button that would start the update. It took me to the general web page for the ES software, but I had to try to search for a download button. Unfortunately, the button I clicked on was the Trial Pro version and not the free version. I didn't know that until I downloaded it and saw the words "Pro (Trial)" on the top of the ES box. What I wanted was the free version only. I have tried going back to the download page again and then, after finding the actual free version link, went through the download of the supposed free version. The problem is that the ES box that came up after the download says the exact same thing as before, so it still says it's the Pro (Trial) version and not the free version. Now, this accidental trial version download was almost 2 weeks ago, I believe, and now I'm getting a reminder that there is only 3 days left to this version and that either I pay for this version or it will expire. Well, I rely on this software for my occupation as a medical transcriptionist. So, I cannot afford to not be able to use this software, yet I do not want the paid version. So, again, how do I get the software or my computer to know that I want it to switch over to the regular free version and not continue with the trial version when I'm actually downloading the free version? I need to get this done within the next 3 days, so I'm hoping someone out there has a quick answer to my problem here.

Thanks, in advance, for any help on this. :)

Teri

• 2 weeks later...

I to am a transcriptionist and having the same problem except the trial has already expired. I have uninstalled the pro version, which I did not want, and re-installed the free version but it still will not work. I have been working on this for several hours now and cannot get it to work and I have a STAT to type.

Robbye,

I managed to uninstall the Pro (trial) version and find a zip file that someone online had had with about 5 or 6 old versions of ES that I could download and install, which I did. Now, I'm not having any problem at all. I'm using version 4.35. The volume is a little inconsistent, but I'm living with it. ;-) If you like, you can send me your e-addy and I can try e-mailing you a copy of the zip file with the old versions that was provided to me. Maybe one of those will help you. :-)

I to am a transcriptionist and having the same problem except the trial has already expired. I have uninstalled the pro version, which I did not want, and re-installed the free version but it still will not work. I have been working on this for several hours now and cannot get it to work and I have a STAT to type.

So, again, how do I get the software or my computer to know that I want it to switch over to the regular free version and not continue with the trial version when I'm actually downloading the free version?

Have a look in Help -> About. If the "Licensed User" entry says "Unlicensed software" then go to Windows "Programs and Features" control panel (or the equivalent on XP) and choose to "Uninstall / Change" Express Scribe. In the uninstall wizard, select the "Downgrade to the free version" option and click Next.

If the About box says "Unlicensed Basic Free Version" then the program will work indefinitely. If you still have time left on your Pro trial, the program will just downgrade to the Free version automatically when the trial expires.

Have a look in Help -> About. If the "Licensed User" entry says "Unlicensed software" then go to Windows "Programs and Features" control panel (or the equivalent on XP) and choose to "Uninstall / Change" Express Scribe. In the uninstall wizard, select the "Downgrade to the free version" option and click Next.

If the About box says "Unlicensed Basic Free Version" then the program will work indefinitely. If you still have time left on your Pro trial, the program will just downgrade to the Free version automatically when the trial expires.

I am having exactly the same problem. The about box says Unlicensed Basic Free Version but the MP3 files which have always played on Scribe on my computer now will not play since the pro trial expired. I have tried to reinstall (and according to the message above I am now back to the free version) but no dictation files will play. This is so frustrating, I never had a problem with Scribe until this.

@ nchdl: Thanks for the advice on checking to see if I have the free version or not. As I said earlier, since I have uninstalled the most up-to-date version of ES and have re-installed one of the older versions, namely 4.35, I am having no problem with playing my voice files or finding them in my computer folders. So, I really don't feel the need to switch back to the newest version again. As to where we are supposed to find on the "About" box whether it says it's the unlicensed basic free version or not, this 4.35 version I'm using does not list whether it's the unlicensed basic free version or a paid version at all. There is nothing about what kind of version it is on the bottom line in that box. But, I'm not too worried about it. As long it's working for me and I'm not getting any reminders about it being a Pro Trial version, I'm a happy camper at this point. ;-)

• 3 weeks later...

Hello

Thank you for contacting NCH Software.

The MAC versions do not have a free version you can downgrade to unfortunately. This only works on the PC versions.

Let us know if you need any other information.

Regards,

NCH Customer Service Team

UNQUOTE

• 2 weeks later...

This is not true, at least not for the mac version. It said it was the unlicensed free version but after it said the trial expired it will not play mp3, and says we have to get the paid version in order to play them.

I had the older version on another machine so we transferred it over and are using that, but they really shouldn't say the free version plays mp3 when it does not. On the web page it doesn't say anything about the free version being only a trial and it says the free version plays mp3.

• 7 months later...

The "Downgrade to the free version" option is not there for me? How can I just keep using the free version since I do not need the Pro version?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I too was transcribing just fine with the free version of Express Scribe. Tried the ES Pro version to transcribe a DS2 file type - audio cuts off mid stream (I have verified that the DS2 file was good, not corrupted). Totally messed up my computer with "converters" and work around fixes, told the customer I could not finish the work. Tried to uninstall the Pro version -- only to discover that now NCH disabled my foot pedal and if I want to use my foot pedal again, I have to pay for the "broken" ES Pro version.

This is a NIGHTMARE to a person struggling to make an income - doesn't NCH realize that while we maybe at the bottom of the customer base, if we can't complete the work of our customers who we have recommend NCH Express Dictate to, they will jump ship. I know two attorney who have already left NCH because of glitches.

So if NCH does not know it, they should by now -- the Express Scribe Pro has a problem with DS2 files - the audio cuts off mid way through (and I have seen other uses who can't even load DS2 file types). Yet the website keeps misrepresenting that Express Scribe works with DS2 files.

• 1 month later...

I am having a nightmare with Express Scribe Version Pro 5.56. Have PAID for it a week ago and have spent hours trying to get it to work. Support now want me to download a K-Lite Codec file which looks like I have to pay for. Takes 24 hours to receive a reply from support because they are in the US. I am tearing my hair out and loosing work because of this. Is there anything else I can get (or willing to pay for).

• 1 month later...

I'm sorry because it seems that these types of posts are becoming old hat, but I'd appreciate any help I can get. Downloaded the Pro version by accident, I'm assuming, because I did use the "Get the free version here" link. However, when the trial expired, I was never offered the opportunity to downgrade. In About it says unlicensed free version, and if I go to uninstall it, I don't get the option to switch to the free version. Here's the problem - I can't use my foot pedal. Whenever I try, it says this is only for paid customers using Pro or some such nonsense - what's going on? Has anyone had a similar experience? Have tried uninstalling it using pro uninstallers that wipe every bit of evidence that it ever existed, so it's not that. I'm very frustrated, but in the meantime, Record Player works just fine and I'm liking it more and more. Thanks in advance for you help!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

Some important notes that may help explain issues. In May of 2012 the foot pedal support for the Free version of Express Scribe changed. As of May 2012 version release, only the AltoEdge USB foot pedal is compatible for use with the Free version. The Pro version will still work with any USB foot controller brand.

This means if you were using an older version, and an Infinity foot pedal (the most common case), chose to upgrade to a newer version and installed the trial, you were then using the most current Pro version, until that trial expired. When that trial expired you likely chose to use the Free version, however now you are using the most current version of the software, where the Free version is only compatible with the AltoEdge pedal and not the Infinity.

Back when you first installed Express Scribe you downloaded an installer and were likely prompted to save this. The simplest fix is to completely uninstall the current installation of Express Scribe and re-install the version you originally downloaded.

Regards,

Team AltoEdge

• 1 year later...

Hi,

I'm new to this thread. I've browsed through the topics in this forum and this is the only thread that seems related to my issue. I've been an ES user for a long time. I've enjoyed the fact that it's free and it's versatility. However, since upgrading to windows 8, I was forced to upgrade to the Pro version, which in spite of the better features, won't allow me to use my foot pedal and won't play my dss files once the trial version expires - you all know that.

So I purchased ES Pro. I mean after benefiting from its features all these years for free, I thought I owed it to them. Now I don't understand why, for the life of me, after purchasing, I started having problems. The WMA files that used to load quickly now takes ages to load and not only that, it affects my desktop it freezes my tabs, I can't click on anything -- the only thing working is the roller in my mouse -- at least until it finishes loading the file. I had to resort to converting my WMA files to MP3 (a bigger file which surprisingly loads much faster), which also takes forever to convert and does the same thing (won't let me work while I wait for the darn thing to finish, basically). It has caused so much delay in my work because I've been searching for a solution online and why? Because even after purchasing, it seems that I'm not important enough of a customer to them because I didn't pay for support (the premium one which will make them prioritize me).

I hope that it's just me missing a step that I should've done or an error on my part because if it isn't, this is by far the most disappointing software purchase I've ever made. I would appreciate any help that you can give me. Thanks!

• 5 years later...