Sound File Not Created

Pafnooty

I'm running SoundTap v2.11 on Windows 7 (64). It worked perfectly when recording audio from web sites. Now I am trying to record from a microphone to create WAV files. The microphone is a Plantronics USB mic and works fine. The setup looks perfect; the "sound bars" are moving; the messages look good and tell me that I created a file. But the file never appears. I checked the box that says "Also record from microphone." Tried lots of times, but no success. I looked at the help file, but it said to check if DirectSound "is configured to use DirectSound: SoundTap Recorder." I don't know because I cannot find any information on how to do that.

I would appreciate greatly any and all suggestions because I'm stumped.

Thanks!

I'm running SoundTap v2.11 on Windows 7 (64). It worked perfectly when recording audio from web sites. Now I am trying to record from a microphone to create WAV files. The microphone is a Plantronics USB mic and works fine. The setup looks perfect; the "sound bars" are moving; the messages look good and tell me that I created a file. But the file never appears. I checked the box that says "Also record from microphone." Tried lots of times, but no success. I looked at the help file, but it said to check if DirectSound "is configured to use DirectSound: SoundTap Recorder." I don't know because I cannot find any information on how to do that.

I would appreciate greatly any and all suggestions because I'm stumped.

Thanks!

Hi

I am also ownwer of Sound Tap Recorder software like u, I also experienced similar things in my sound recorder when i tried to record online music. i also noticed that a sound tap recorder file was created but could not find it when tried to play many times this happenss in NCH sound tap recoder.Pl try to reinstal the program after noting the license details. It may work

- rnraj

I use version 1.30 and I don’t know if this will help, but NCH software saves files to a default folder created by the program which can be tricky to locate.

I recommend creating your own recordings folder destination – click on Options, and choose or create a destination (I have a desktop folder named ‘Recordings” for SoundTap projects.) At least you will then easily find and know if you are recording a file.

Also, when choosing “Record microphone input” under ‘Devices’ you must select the proper sound input device from the drop down menu, which I think would be your soundcard/audio driver on your motherboard if you are plugging directly via usb. The newer version options may be different, I don’t know, and I use an external audio interface (usb) and would choose that from the drop down list, although I only use SoundTap to record streaming audio from the internet; for recording from a mic or instrument I recommend using WavePad. Good luck !

Thanks, vapors, so much for the suggestions. I did create a new place to put the sound file (in fact, I tried it in two different locations)and nothing worked. I'm guessing that your second point is where the problem is. I have tried a number of combinations. Your comment gave me an idea: It may be worth trying to use a mic through the sound card instead of the USB.

BUT, the program did NOT tell me that there was no data. SoundTap will not create a file when it has nothing to record (like if the input is not enabled), and it gives you a message that it did not create a file. In these cases, I was definitely getting sound (because the sound bars moved) and I got no message that the file was not created. Everything looked exactly the same as when I was successfully getting sound from a web site.

Thanks again!