Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Stryker

Can't Get Slice To Work

Recommended Posts

Hi all,

 

I am having a problem getting the Slice program to work.

 

I just downloaded an audiobook (George R.R. Martins' - A Storm of Swords). It was created from the cd's so there are a total of 39 individual files. I used a program called "Merge MP3" (http://shchuka.com/software/mergemp3/) to combine all 39 files into one single file. I am doing this because the chapters are all messed up. For example, Chapter 1 and part of Chapter 2 are on the first file. The remainder of Chapter 2, Chapter 3, and a part of Chapter 4 are on the second file. I basically want to have Slice to create new individual files based on the sound gaps between the chapters found on the single big file I created.

 

The single file is 3.11 GB in size and a length of 43 hours 13 minutes and 4 seconds (43:13:04). I should note that when I add the big single file into Slice, the program shows the length of the file as -13:-07-47 and I have no idea why.

 

I then opened Slice, added the single file, selected the "Slice Into Individual Tracks" options, -25dB Threshold, 2 seconds Duration.

 

I then clicked on the "Slice" button.

 

Then for a microsecond, a window pops up then disappears. If I hit the slice button repeatedly I can read what is says:

 

Splitting File

Scanning for split points

 

And that is it. Nothing happens. I looked in the Output folder and nothing is there. So I changed both the threshold and duration settings and get the same results.

 

I have even tried the "Slice Into" and "Slice Into Files Of Duration" and nothing happens, just the same results as above. The only time it works is when I try and Slice one of the original 39 files.

 

I am running the Slice program on the following machine:

HP Pavilion dv7-4285dx Laptop

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64bit

Intel Core i5 M640 @ 2.53 GHz

6GB Ram

640 GB HD

 

Any help would be appreciated.

 

Thx,

 

- Stryker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Same problem; and solution:

 

I was able to split the audiobook file (14+ hours, nearly 500MB) into two mp3 files by using the free audio editing program Audacity.

(Yes it took a VERY long time to load the original file, and an even longer time to export the two new files as mp3s so that I was afraid the program had frozen; but let it run, it will complete the tasks eventually).

 

When I opened the resulting files in Slice, each showed a positive number for "length."

Slice then had no trouble splitting them into as many tracks as I wished.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...