Broadwave for Point-to-Point Audio Link?

soundesigner

My knowledge of audio is pretty fair, but my understanding of computer networking...not so much. I'm looking for a simple, effective, solution that will allow live audio to be sent from one (remote) computer to another (receiving) computer via the Internet. For example, coverage of a sporting event could be accomplished by feeding a small audio mixer in the press box of the arena or stadium into the audio input of a laptop computer. At the studio, streamed audio would be fed into the main audio console for broadcast.

Questions: Would Broadwave be of use in this setting? Existing IP audio systems designed for broadcasters are prohibitively expensive for our college radio station.

What if one did not have a fixed IP address at the transmitting end? E.g., what if one is using on-site WiFi or is acting as a guest on someone else's network? Could one stream to a fixed address?

If not Broadwave, any other thoughts? We have access to both Windows and Mac machines.

Again, my knowledge of networking issues is slim, so please frame any answers as if you are talking to your slightly dim-witted brother-in-law!

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Yes it's possible to use this type of set-up, with Broadwave at the transmitting end and something link ZaraRadio, Winamp, etc at the receiving end. In this configuration, ZaraRadio/Winamp makes and outgoing request to the Broadwave (transmitting) end to "pull" the stream.

however there are a few caveats:

- there's an encoding delay of 20 - 30 seconds, so no good for a live two-way link, but for a simple "live" stream it's not a problem.

- if the transmitting end does not have a fixed IP address, you would need to set that IP address at the receiving end each time you connected. This is ok if it doesn't disconnect and re-connect during the broadcast (e.g. if you are using 3g data via mobile phone).

- the internet connection at the transmitting end would need to allow "port forwarding" to allow the receiving end to connect.

To avoid the last two problems, you would need to use a "push" stream rather than "pull". Your laptop at the transmitting end could run a Shoutcast or Icecast server to push the stream to the studio. I haven't set this up so far as the Broadwave option works for us.

There are also hardware options too, if you can afford them they are well worth the money, such as the Barix Instreamer (for the transmitting end) and Barix Exstreamer (for the receiving end). A Broadwave to Exstreamer link works well. These pair of devices can be configured to operate both a push or a pull configuration.