Migrating data

Supersadie

I'm moving hourguard from my xp laptop to my new win7 laptop.

Theoretically it should be fine - found the folders containing the data on my xp laptop. Put them on a stick and put them on the new laptop overwriting the folders of the same name within hourguard.

Although the accounts and tasks are now visible. There's no data. So I get the tasks coming up but when I run a report there's nothing in it.

Hope someone can tell me where I'm going wrong!

Thanks

I'm moving hourguard from my xp laptop to my new win7 laptop.

Theoretically it should be fine - found the folders containing the data on my xp laptop. Put them on a stick and put them on the new laptop overwriting the folders of the same name within hourguard.

Although the accounts and tasks are now visible. There's no data. So I get the tasks coming up but when I run a report there's nothing in it.

Hope someone can tell me where I'm going wrong!

Thanks

I ran into this problem about 4 weeks ago migrating back to an xp machine from Win7 that was being sent for warranty repair for failed hard drive. Needless to say, I figured it out finally and all the data showed up. Now I'm doing it again on the new install on the new win7 drive and have run into the same issue except I have no accounts or tasks at all.

I do not remember what I did to fix it, but if I figure it out again I will absolutely let you know. I should learn to take notes when I succeed at fixing stuff... I always forget what I did to fix it.

OK, I got this figured out now. IIRC, I had to re-create time sheets when I went from Win 7 to XP and now I know why.

First, you have to enable show hidden files in your win 7 machine. Here are instructions for doing so. Show hidden files & folders in Windows 7

HourGuard splits timesheets into a totally separate folder on the Win 7 machine. It also portions out the Accounts, Tasks, and Options folders into another separate location.

HourGuard itself resides in the folder listed in the migrate help here on this forum, but none of the data is in this folder.

File location for HourGuard on Windows 7

Paste your data files into these locations:

Folders named Accounts, Tasks, and Options

C:\ProgramData\NCH Software\HourGuard

Timesheets folder

C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\NCH Software\HourGuard

You will find the program file (hourguard.exe), uninstall.exe, and Help folder here:

C:\Program Files (x86)\NCH Software\HourGuard

Or, (I assume) on 32 bit Windows 7 installation, here:

C:\Program Files\NCH Software\HourGuard

This worked for me. Everything popped right up once I exited (full exit, use file - exit) and restarted HourGuard.

Biggest hurdle was finding the data folders because they were hidden by default.

You might have to help a bit more with this.

I have three folders as you say - accounts, options, tasks - on my winxp laptop.

I have put all three folders into the hourguard locations on my new win7 laptop...

here

Timesheets folder

But nothing's happening. In fact which ever report I ask it to do, it comes up with a report of my current task. ie the one I've logged on the new laptop before I added these files.

Have I done something wrong?

Thanks for your help.

OK, I got this figured out now. IIRC, I had to re-create time sheets when I went from Win 7 to XP and now I know why.

First, you have to enable show hidden files in your win 7 machine. Here are instructions for doing so. Show hidden files & folders in Windows 7

HourGuard splits timesheets into a totally separate folder on the Win 7 machine. It also portions out the Accounts, Tasks, and Options folders into another separate location.

HourGuard itself resides in the folder listed in the migrate help here on this forum, but none of the data is in this folder.

File location for HourGuard on Windows 7

Paste your data files into these locations:

Timesheets folder

You will find the program file (hourguard.exe), uninstall.exe, and Help folder here:

C:\Program Files (x86)\NCH Software\HourGuard

Or, (I assume) on 32 bit Windows 7 installation, here:

C:\Program Files\NCH Software\HourGuard

This worked for me. Everything popped right up once I exited (full exit, use file - exit) and restarted HourGuard.

Biggest hurdle was finding the data folders because they were hidden by default.

• 4 months later...

Thank you so much for this thread! Even though I'm on a Mac I desperately needed this information. I thought I was just upgrading HourGuard, but because I'd just installed the new Lion OS, it actually replaced the whole program and data - wiped everything! Luckily I eventually found the data files on my Time Machine backup (under HD/Library/Application Support/NCH Software/HourGuard. On the Mac it has the three sub-folders of Accounts, Tasks and Timesheets all in there and an Options.dat file.

I couldn't just reinstall an older version as it is a PowerPC program and no longer supported under Lion. I figured that if I copied the data to a PC with HourGuard it would work but it was the essential ingredient of having the Timesheets folder in a different location that I needed. Now I am able to at least do a report and find my time for the past two weeks and insert that into the program on my Mac and my billing won't be affected. *whew*!!

You guys rock - thank you! It may have been a long workaround, but at least I got there! (Don't forget to take notes on the solution!) :D

Cheers,

Marie

A very relieved Mac / NCH user!

• 2 years later...