Trimming Video & Audio Together

kodiak50

Hey everybody, I have a video/audio question. I want to import separate audio into a video project. I will suppress the camcorder audio and sync up the separate audio with the video. After that, I want to trim both ends of the video and audio together as one unit. Can I do this on VideoPad? I tried it on Windows Movie Maker, and it doesn't work. You can only trim one at a time. So, once you sync up the audio with the video and then trim the video, the audio is out of sync again. The reason I need to do it this way is that I use a couple of handclaps at the beginning of my video as a sync point. I obviously want to cut them out when everything is synced up. Thanks for any help.

If this can't be done on VideoPad, does anybody know of another free or inexpensive software that can?

Hi

Yes I know.....but been on holiday B)

OK. Yes you can add a separate sound file to a muted clip and cut both together.

Add your clips to the media window (Video plus your required sound files.)

For a start work in Storyboard mode as its easier to see what is happening.

Add your video clips to the sequence line and edit the visuals as you want them. Each clip will have its sound file shown below the single preview frame in storyboard mode. Now,right click each video clip and select to unlink the sound. The sound clip will jump down to soundtrack 1 line.

Now left click the sound file on this track to highlight it. It will appear in the left hand preview window above.)

Now right click the file on the soundtrack line again and select to "Remove selected audio"

You will now be left with just the visual part of your film clip.

Change to timeline display and drag your new sound clip down to soundtrack 2 line (as you may have further clips to deal with on soundtrack1)

Drag the new soundtrack to the position you want so that it plays OK with the video above it.

Now move the cursor to your trim point and then click the "Split" button (on the left of the screen) for the video track and then click the first button on the left for soundtrack 2(Its the small square with what looks like a windsok on it)

You will have now split the audio and the visuals at the same point.

Right click on, and remove the unwanted segments.

This seems to work for me.

Hope this helps

Nat