Not splitting in the right spot

akclub1

I am using the free trial of Video Pad Video Editor, and when I split one of my clips, it doesnt split the clip in the right spot. It splits the clip about half a second after where the video is at. It did not used to do this, did I do something to make it do this? Please give advice on how to fix it, and thank you in advance for the feedback.

Hi

Where in VP are you splitting your clip? Are you doing it ON the sequence line or in the left hand preview window?

One way of exactly getting to your split point is to click on the clip to preview it in the right hand window and then set the red cursor line around your selected point on the sequence line.

Now step frame by frame forwards or backwards using the < and > buttons in the right hand preview window to precisely select your splitting point. The red cursor line on the sequence line moves as you do this.

When you get to the place you want, simply click the "Split" button on the left of the sequence line and your clip should turn into two clips at the point you selected in the preview window.

Hope this helps

Nat

When I am splitting the clips it is on the sequence line where I placed all my clips. I usually click on the clips and drag the red line to where I want to split it, and hit L. But like I said in my first post, it did not used to do this.

Hi

As you say correctly, hitting L will split the clip at the red line but if you have positioned this correctly I can't see why you are getting a difference of (1/2 second,)which does seem a lot - about 15 frames. It might be more accurate if you are "zoomed" in on the sequence with the slider bottom right of the screen. This gives a little more accuracy to your split position when you use the step buttons I mentioned above although I can't see even this correcting the difference you are seeing. Normally the film splits at the frame previewed in the right hand screen.

One thought....What reference point are you using to cut your clip? Is it visual decided by the image shown in the right hand preview window, or is it audible, decided by the hearing the cue in the sound?

Visually, I can't make it split anywhere other than at the frame I want. MPEG4/MPEG2/AVIs all seem to split where I want them.

Nat

The reference point that I am using to cut the clip is by the image shown. I have tried zooming in for more accuracy and I set the red line on the sequence to where I want it, but when I hit L it splits it about 1/2 a second later than when I want it. Should I try re-installing VideoPad?

Hi

Can't think why it should be doing that as in my version (2.12) it splits exactly where I want. If you can reload it then give it a try. What about if you offset where you want to

split and the previewed image by clicking back a few frames and then splitting???

It's not ideal but is a possible solution.

Nat

One thing I've noticed when I had a similar issue was if I had the play back speed on any of the clips (including the one I was splitting) at a playback speed of anything other than 100% it would split in weird areas. I had to make all my clip speeds 100%, make the split THEN change the playback speed. That's the only idea I have. Hope it helps.