Help-EXPRESS SCRIBE NOT RESPONDING

lissabarrett

I try to play my dictation and when I start it, it will not stop if I use a hot key or my mouse. It says at the top express scribe -NOT RESPONDING. When I go to click on my express scribe window I can not even select it. I am just able to hear the dictation and work with my word document. I have no clue what to do and it is very important that I fix it.

I try to play my dictation and when I start it, it will not stop if I use a hot key or my mouse. It says at the top express scribe -NOT RESPONDING. When I go to click on my express scribe window I can not even select it. I am just able to hear the dictation and work with my word document. I have no clue what to do and it is very important that I fix it.

I'm having the same problem. Support has been terrible in helping me even though I PAID money to get support.

The same problem. I had to reinstall it twice until Kaspersky, the anti-virus I'm using, says it has worm and it terminated the operation altogether. Now it can't even be reinstalled successfully.

• 2 weeks later...

I try to play my dictation and when I start it, it will not stop if I use a hot key or my mouse. It says at the top express scribe -NOT RESPONDING.

Could anyone experiencing this issue post the following:

• Hardware details (CPU, sound hardware, etc.).
  • Software versions (Windows, Scribe, etc.). Make sure to mention if Windows is 32 or 64 bit, and what (if any) service packs are installed.
  • The contents of the Options -> Playback -> "Sound device" pull down menu, along with which device is selected.

Could anyone experiencing this issue post the following:

• Hardware details (CPU, sound hardware, etc.).
  • Software versions (Windows, Scribe, etc.). Make sure to mention if Windows is 32 or 64 bit, and what (if any) service packs are installed.
  • The contents of the Options -> Playback -> "Sound device" pull down menu, along with which device is selected.

I have the same problem with the Express Scribe software. My digital files play and won't stop, so I end up having to close down the programme.

Here are my pc details:

AMD Turion 64x2 processor

Windows Vista Home Premium

Service Pack 2

Using Express Scribe v.5.13

Options-Playback-Sound device pull down menu = "Default Sound Out"

Hope the problem can be sorted soon as the software I'm using at the moment is not as good as Express Scribe!

AMD Turion 64x2 processor

Windows Vista Home Premium

Is the 32 or 64 bit Windows?

Options-Playback-Sound device pull down menu = "Default Sound Out"

Do you have any more details about the sound hardware? e.g., If you open Start -> "Control Panel" -> "Device Manager", what are the items under "Sound, video and game controllers"?

If it's an off-the-shelf PC, could you let us know the manufacturer and model name / number too?

I'm having the same problem: every time I try to scroll through a recording there is a "boing" noise and Scribe freezes for 30 to 40 seconds.

It's freshly installed on Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit but I've tried all the compatability modes and still get the same problem. It's nothign to do with the soundcard -- ~I've tried oputputting the sound to a number of different devices and had the same problem each time.

Anybody got any ideas ... I'm beginning to wonder if there is a compatability problem with the 64-bit OS that cannot be resolved.

Is the 32 or 64 bit Windows?

Do you have any more details about the sound hardware? e.g., If you open Start -> "Control Panel" -> "Device Manager", what are the items under "Sound, video and game controllers"?

If it's an off-the-shelf PC, could you let us know the manufacturer and model name / number too?

It's 32-bit Windows.

The items listed under "Sound, Video and Game Controllers" are 'High Definition Audio Device'.

It's a Toshiba Equium TL-60 laptop.

It's nothign to do with the soundcard -- ~I've tried oputputting the sound to a number of different devices and had the same problem each time.

Could you post details of the sound hardware you tested with, and what the entries were in the Options -> Playback -> "Sound device" pull-down menu?

Also, what CPU do you have?

I'm beginning to wonder if there is a compatability problem with the 64-bit OS that cannot be resolved.

Based on the above replies, we know the problem happens on both Windows Vista and Windows 7, and on both 32 bit and 64 bit flavours of Windows. (Assuming you both have the same problem.)

Could you post details of the sound hardware you tested with, and what the entries were in the Options -> Playback -> "Sound device" pull-down menu?

Realtek speakers

Realtek digital output

2 Bluetooth devices, one a set of speakers, the other a stereo headset

Directly to USB headphones (which, as I understand it bypass the soundcard)

The Reaktek card driver is version 6.0.1.6156

The bluetooth is a CSR dongle, driver version 5.0.14.0

The USB headset is a Logitech one but the sound properties say the driver is a generic one from Microsoft, version 6.1.7601.17514

Also, what CPU do you have?

Intel i3 (as I said in the first post, 64-bit on an Acer 4820T, the rest of the specs can be found here:

http://www.acerdirect.co.uk/Acer_4820T_Core_i3_Laptop_LX.PSN02.007/version.asp

This is a new laptop. My previous one was a 32-bit running Windows 7 Home Premium and I never had any problems with the Scribe controls, which is why I think it must have had something to do with the change to a 64-bit system.

Thanks for takking an interest

I've been fighting this issue for a month now.

Here are my pc details:

AMD Athalon 170u processor

Windows 7 Home Premium

6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601

Using Express Scribe v.5.13

Options-Playback-Sound device pull down menu = "Default Sound Out" Or "Realtek High Definition"

Everyone has different CPU families, versions of Windows, 32 / 64 bit, sound hardware. I can't see a pattern here yet, so I think we need to widen our investigation.

Is Options -> Pedals -> "Enable foot pedal controller" enabled? What peripherals do you have plugged in?

Could it be a software conflict? e.g., What anti-virus software (if any) is everyone using?

I'm having the same problem: every time I try to scroll through a recording there is a "boing" noise and Scribe freezes for 30 to 40 seconds.

Can you see high CPU usage during that 30 to 40 seconds? Or hard disk thrashing?

Does everyone find that Scribe becomes responsive again after waiting a while?

Yes, my footpedal is enabled.

Printer, footpedal, speakers, no other peripherals.

I have closed all programs other than Microsoft Word and Express Scribe.

I use Kaspersky antivirus and I noticed above someone else does also?

My CPU usage is at 100% when this occurs. No hard drive thrashing.

The footpedal control seems to be delayed by six or seven seconds and then gets "stuck" in the play position. It takes me approximately 10 minutes to transcribe a one minute file because I have no control over play, stop, rewind, etc. Approximately 75% of the time Express Scribe is "not responding" and when it is responding it is uncontrollable.

I disabled Kaspersky and Express Scribe works flawlessly. Enabled Kaspersky, and Express Scribe is "not responding". Kaspersky is my culprit.

I have a Windows XP box - 32bit with the same problems. We are running Microsoft Security Essentials though.

Is there a fix to this problem?

My CPU usage is at 100% when this occurs.

I disabled Kaspersky and Express Scribe works flawlessly. Enabled Kaspersky, and Express Scribe is "not responding". Kaspersky is my culprit.

We are running Microsoft Security Essentials though.

Maybe Kaspersky alone isn't the problem? Maybe it's anything that puts a heavy enough load on the CPU?

In the Processes tab of Windows' "Task Manager", are any other processes using significant CPU when Scribe hangs, or is Scribe alone using nearly 100%?

What sort of CPU usage do you see when Scribe is open but not playing anything? What about when playing without hanging (if that ever happens for you)?

I'm still having problems with Express Scribe not responding.

I've ensured there are no restrictions to Express Scribe within my Kaspersky software, but even with no other applications running, ES still can't be controlled and I have to shut it down. Not sure what else to try... :(