Why is the video and audio not synced

grant22

Hey everyone, new guy here. Although I'm starting to get the hang of the Videopad Professional, I still have a question for you sharp people.

Whenever I drop video media down to the timeline area (the lower area of the screen) and then do a preview (either full screen or the upper right window), it seems the audio is in real time while the video is going at a lower speed. The two are not synced. I know I could maually adjust and speed up the video, but it doesn't seem I should have to do that.

What's the problem and why is it doing this?

Thx

Hi

Does the same on my PC. :huh: (V 2.12). It's assumed by nch to be a computer performance issue. I suspect you are editing MPEG4 1080i video which presumably requires a lot of unpacking before it can be previewed in VP but the sound doesn't so the image lags. On my PC it can be out by SECONDS after only a short time. It's starts in synch again if I click on a new part of the sequence, but then the same thing occurs. Try converting it to MPEG2 which seems to work much better, or shoot at a lower resolution.

eg. In a 22 second MPEG4 H264 clip HD 1280 x 720p 30fps , the sound finished 7 seconds before the video finished.

The same clip converted to MGEG2 with same frame size when played in VP showed no discernable delay. Also the sound quality was clearer and the image seemed better.

Nat

Hi

Does the same on my PC. :huh: (V 2.12). It's assumed by nch to be a computer performance issue. I suspect you are editing MPEG4 1080i video which presumably requires a lot of unpacking before it can be previewed in VP but the sound doesn't so the image lags. On my PC it can be out by SECONDS after only a short time. It's starts in synch again if I click on a new part of the sequence, but then the same thing occurs. Try converting it to MPEG2 which seems to work much better, or shoot at a lower resolution.

eg. In a 22 second MPEG4 H264 clip HD 1280 x 720p 30fps , the sound finished 7 seconds before the video finished.

The same clip converted to MGEG2 with same frame size when played in VP showed no discernable delay. Also the sound quality was clearer and the image seemed better.

Nat

Thx Nat, and that all makes sense. Unfortunately I'm worried that my new hobby of video editing will eventually require a Mac of some type.

Do you know the easiest way to convert the file from MP4 to MP2? Yes it's a PC.

THX

Hi

No problem. As I have posted elsewhere I use a freeware converter program called "Any video Converter" Version 3.1.7 which does all I want it to do and it's easy to use.

You can download it here....

http://www.any-video-converter.com/products/for_video_free/

Load it into a named folder on the desktop for a start. Then move this folder to your Windows "Programs" folder.

Open it from there and run the downloaded .exe file to unpack the progam. I normally choose to unpack the program files into the same folder as the .exe so they are all together. Can't remember if a shortcut is created on the desktop but put one there anyway for ease of use.

Once loaded and run, the program is pretty easy to follow..all you need to do is....

Click on "Add the Video"...(and you can add several if you like as they list up in the central space...I think you can drag and drop also)

Click the videos in the list that you want to convert (Xs go into the little boxes)

Click on the "Profile" option (Big button top right with drop-down menu) to select the output format.

Select for example MPEGII Movie(*mpg) and in the boxes below you can set the parameters for the conversion. The default values appear for the format you select and although it's not that obvious at first sight you can further click these options to reveal a drop down menu (where available) in which you can select to change the various values...eg size and aspect of your output etc. I tend to select "original" for frame size.

Once your choice is made just go back to the top and click the Encode button.

A staus bar appears to the right of each of your input videos in turn as the conversion is made.

The Results are sent to a folder of your choice e.g. named in this case MPEGII on the desktop.

You can rerun the conversion with different values if the result is not what you want and if you select a different format the output folder is automatically created and named with the format in question. Of course you don't lose your original video.

If yoy want to experiment with different formats and compare them its easy as the output folders are all named.

I find it works very well

Get back if there are any questions.

Nat (NOT expert)