Editor Ignores Some Fonts In Subtitles Window

Vegan1234

Hello,

I'm trying to work with two fonts I have for Hebrew Text.

The two fonts are: "Aharoni Bold" & NarkisDVD.

The editor ignores them. When I choose them, the result is the default font (Arial) - both in screen and in output file.

Is there any way I can make the editor not to ignore them?

My version is 2.22 and I'm using WinXP.

THANKS.

Hi

Probably a daft question, but do you have those fonts installed on your PC? If not VP won't list them (but will allow you to enter the name) but won't find them and will default to the last used font. e.g.Arial.

I have Aharoni on my PC which comes up

and Narkisim which also works.

Nat

Hi Nat,

Yes, they are installed and appear on VP.

The result (preview and output) is the default (Arial).

With Narkisim it is the same default result (Arial).

When you said "Comes up", did you mean that VP display them in the combo box (like in my case) or that they work properly?

Thanks.

Hi

Yes, they work properly...but....something I wasn't thinking about...actually what you may be trying to do...

I am assuming now that as you are adding subtitles in hebrew (??) and so, using a Hebrew font like Aharoni you will be need to use Windows special characters which, as such, dont figure in the normal 26 letter western alphabet and which, presumably aren't caterered for in VP or your keyboard.

If this is the case, and you want Hebrew letters it IS possible to use these to your subtitles although it's a bit convoluted but not too difficult.

In Windows open up your table of characters.

(Start- All programs - Accessories - System Tools-Character table)

Down arrow the font selection and pick Aharoni.(Or your other font of choice)

Indicate your hebrew text letter by letter by double clicking the characters in the table. The text will appear in the window below the table.

e.g. אבגדהוזחטיﬠשׁשׂשּׁשּׂאַאָאּבּגּדּהּוּזּטּיּךּכּלּך

(OK This is just a line of meanigless signs to me. Hope it's not something rude :) but I hope you get the gist)

Now click Copy.

Back in VP go into the subtitle window and Paste your hebrew text into the subtitle box.

Set your parameters-size colour position etc. then Add and Continue. This will work even if the selected font is not in the font window.

It would be possible to use the shortcut keys to add these special characters - like Alt+0234 to give ê etc. but it would mean you would have to memorise the codes for all your characters.

Hope this helps.

Nat

Thanks, Nat.

Before I got that far, I will try to find a different solution. But thanks, I appreciate your help very much.

I should have mentioned also that in another (much more limited) software, PocketDivXEncoder, the problematic fonts work just fine.

Hi again

I have had a play again with the fonts you mention. In my version of VP (2.12) the subtitles definitely appear with the chosen font. i.e. Aharoni OR Narkisim but not both mixed in the same film as, (in my version at least) you can't mix the fonts or colours for the subtitles. These settings seem to be global.

Also, both upper case and lower case letters in these fonts look very much like Arial, particularly if entered with a small font size. So you may be mistaken for thinking they default to Arial. Try changing to 48 size and you will see the difference. (Narkis has obvious serifs at this size for example) But as I mentioned, you cant use the hebrew letters as you cant easily access them from a standard keyboard. (Unless you know the key sequence code for each letter)

If you ARE wanting to use Hebrew characters in your subtitles then you will have to try the method I outlined..i.e. using your windows character table for constructing your text and then copy/pasting the result into the VP subtitle box.

If you do find another way I would be really interested to know how you get on.

Regards

Nat

Hi again, sorry for the late reply.

Thank you very much for your reply and information.

99% there is a problem in my PC, I couldn't manage to solve it.

I had to use a different software.

I really appreciate your help.