Does anyone update NCH's pages?

chashock

I just had an XP machine blow up on me that ran quite well for a couple of solid years with a Zoom 3025C, which is a voice modem, and as I say WORKED with 4.x and XP. Now I take the same modem, on a new machine w/Windows 7, IVM version 5.04, and my callers can't hear my OGMs. I can record fine, but no audio on OGM.

I've uninstalled, reinstalled, uninstalled sound drivers, tried all manner of configurations, and for some reason this modem won't play back sound properly! The troubleshooting pages all look like they're about 5 years old, none of the "purchase" links work for any of the recommended hardware, and no one seems to answer the posts in the modem forums.

Did I just waste several hundred dollars buying the new version or is there really a modem that works with this software and Windows 7?

• 2 weeks later...

I just had an XP machine blow up on me that ran quite well for a couple of solid years with a Zoom 3025C, which is a voice modem, and as I say WORKED with 4.x and XP. Now I take the same modem, on a new machine w/Windows 7, IVM version 5.04, and my callers can't hear my OGMs. I can record fine, but no audio on OGM.

I've uninstalled, reinstalled, uninstalled sound drivers, tried all manner of configurations, and for some reason this modem won't play back sound properly! The troubleshooting pages all look like they're about 5 years old, none of the "purchase" links work for any of the recommended hardware, and no one seems to answer the posts in the modem forums.

Did I just waste several hundred dollars buying the new version or is there really a modem that works with this software and Windows 7?

This is a fatal flaw in all versions beyond 4.x. You'll find it happens in Vista and Windows 7, all flavors. It's not that your callers can't hear the OGMs per se, the audio is simply being sent to the PC Speakers instead of the modem line by mistake. It's a problem with the NCH drivers. If you switch to another product like Venta Fax and Voice, you'll be able to use your modem just fine and the audio will be routed properly. That's what I had to do. NCH was notified of this issue a year ago and hasn't offered any fix. It appears Answering Attendant is now abandon-ware.

• 4 months later...

There is no fix. The problem is that Microsoft changed the TAPI interface in Windows 7. There are other products affected by other software vendors. If NCH changes IVM to work with Windows 7 then it would not work on XP.

A few modem manufactures may have modified their drivers to work but the vast majority of modem manufacturers use the Microsoft-provided drivers.

To fix this problem NCH really needs to come out with a new version of IVM that is ONLY certified to work on Windows 7, specifically Windows 7 64 bit, specifically with a handful of modem chipsets. Keep in mind the vast majority of cheap older modem chipsets aren't supported under Windows 7. The computer scrap dealers around here have cardboard boxes full of PCI modems. But only a few, like the Intel winmodems, will work under Windows 7 64 bit.

Until Microsoft EOL's Windows XP in 2014 it is difficult for developers like NCH because most people can easily round up an old XP system somewhere to run IVM on, and it's not like a voicemail system really needs to be a super powerful CPU.