Bad video quality output (Newbie question)

gertblij

Since Dec I got heavily involved in converting my old VHS tapes to DVD.

I started with with Windows Live Movie Maker, which produces good results, but I don't like the editing.

I downloaded the free Videopad Editor and absolutely love editing with it, but I cannot get it to produce any decent DVDs.

1-I capture from VHS to WMV using Debut Video Cature Software. Saved WMV specs are 768x576, 4096kbps and 30fps for video and 152kbps, 48kHz for Audio.

2-In WLMM I save them Custom: 720x576, 8.19Mbps Bit rate

3-I then burn the DVD using DVD Flick wit PAL settings.

This produces good qualty playback via the DVD player.

However, for step 2, no matter how I save the movie in Videopad, I either get a proper size picture, but with rough pixelation that looks terible on playback, or I get a resonable playback, but on a "small screen", eg thick black bands around the picture on the TV.

Any suggestions?

TIS

Further to my first posting:

I replaced step 1 by using the Videopad capture function. Often this produced great results.

However, I am capturing a rugby match and whenever the camera zooms reasonably close to some action the outline of the players goes all blury and wobbly. Also, when the camera pans accross the field, say from left of the centre line to the right, the centre line goes all wobbly.

Although I live in a PAL country and the videos were recorded as such (I think?), the device settings keep reverting back to NTSC_M. I have no idea why?

Any suggestiones about the correct capture settings?

• 3 months later...

Hi people,

I cannot find an encoder setup in Videopad which generates as nice, clean blue sky, as nice the input 720p HD avi files are. I know, there must be a quality loss because the re-rendering, but I would like to find the best setup.

Which output setup is the best for 720p?

I have a simalar issue. I capture a video of my screen in Debut, and watch the output file, and it looks PERFECT. Then I put that video into a new project in Videopad, and go "Save Movie" and it looks like garbage. I can't read the text or even see the cursor half the time. I don't know what to change. So, I thought it might have been the test machine that I was using. I had captured a video on my laptop, and made a great looking video a couple days ago, so i tried it on my laptop with the same capture from Debut, and I have the same issue. PLEASE HELP!

I have a simalar issue.

Nat,

I gave up trying all the encoder settings, and changed to VirtualDub. (freeware) It can cut the clips, it can join them without re-rendering, so there is NO quality loss at all. It can save the video without sound, and it can add sound from a file. There are no effects, no transitions, etc so, I am still interested in VideoPad (I bought it) because of the ease of use.

I honestly think there's something screwy with any of the native codecs. I've been saving all my videos as AVIs using codecs already installed to my machine and have been having no trouble. But anytime I try to save using a native codec (which you have to for MP4, but is thankfully optional for AVI), it just looks awful.

I honestly think there's something screwy with any of the native codecs. I've been saving all my videos as AVIs using codecs already installed to my machine and have been having no trouble. But anytime I try to save using a native codec (which you have to for MP4, but is thankfully optional for AVI), it just looks awful.

I installed a fresh and popular codec pack, and saved my movie using a new Xvid codec. The blue sky is ugly again. Another problem is the usage of fonts. I am unable to generate smooth fonts in the starter and the closer clips, which are generated "inserting blank" and then add text effect.