Cannot burn playable dvd

andyking

• 2 months later...

My experience with VP, burned dvds will play ok on computer, will not play on Panasonic or LG players, will play on Sharp but with artifacts, and will play jerky video with no sound on Sony player. Notified tech support and was thanked for my feed-back. The program is not satisfactory for general use.

I've encountered the exact same problem with the newer versions: 2.11, 2.12, and 2.20 i.e., they'll burn, but won't play back in any of my DVD players, and I have several DVD players.

My current version, 2.09, WILL play back in my DVD player, and as much as I'd love to have the version 2.20, I've reverted back to my older version: 2.10.

• 2 months later...

Been having similar problems since I starting using VP (2.12) a few weeks ago. Had one or 2 fairly good results with DVDRW (4x) disks but none with DVD+R (8x). I suspect the reason some DVDRs won't work in DVD players is down to the DVD burning speed in VPad. I can find nowhere to set the burn speed in VP and think this is an essential option. It would appear that 2x is a good speed to burn video projects to DVD. An option to use an external burner (eg ImgBurn etc.) would also be a great addition to this software.

Another possibility (still to check this out and confirm) is that setting a "bookmark" (chapter) at the beginning of the project will help DVD players to read the DVD. Any thoughts on this?

Cheers John

Hi

With regards to DVD menus. As I mentioned above, VP won't create menus on the DVD but if you have several projects to burn to the same DVD and you MUST use VP then save all your projects as avis individually to your PC.

Load them back in VP one after another onto the sequence line and add a bookmark between each one. (You could add titles just after each boolmark if you wish) Of course you could also edit your clips to create the full "multi" sequence from the outset.

Save the whole sequence to DVD in the normal manner.

The bookmarks will save as chapters and on your player you can simply move forwards or backwards through your projects by using the << and >> buttons on the player. The added titles will indicate which project you have got to.

BTW I use DVD-R and DVD-RW discs which play fine on my toshiba player.

Nat

My projects are simple VHS transfers, captured as MPEG2 then edited and burned on VP. It's at the burning stage where I seem to get problems, possibly because there's no option to burn at slow speeds such as x1 or x2 or use an external burner. I'm assuming VP's burner must run at the disk's max speed and as far as I can establish, only DVDs burnt at low speeds will play on many DVD players. I've just managed to get one project to play well on my DVD player by burning from VP to a 4x DVD+RW disk. I then made an ISO file from this good disk using ImgBurn. I then burnt the ISO file with ImgBurn to a 16x DVD+R at x1 write speed with complete success!

I'm now getting some x2 max DVD-RWs to try, which I'm hoping will work more consistently.

There are other advantages to using this method. No more wasted blanks (hopefully) and ISO files that can be saved and used to make further DVD copies from.

John

Hi John

I am doing something very similar to yourself...transferring numerous films that I shot on Super8 cine film as well as VHS tape. I am using a "Grabber"device (A/D card) that transfers the VHS player signal (or VHS camera signal in the case of live filming of cine) to my PC as mpeg2 files. But I don't use VP to re-edit them as I feel I can do this more easily with Windows Movie Maker. I use VP mainly because WMM doesn't handle MPEG4 format which my current camera produces, and VP does.

Windows Movie Maker (V6 on Vista) will pull up Windows DVD Creator automatically when you finish the edit (assuming you have it on your PC) and so far all my DVDs made with this have played OK on various players, and you can use it as a separate burner if you prefer VP for your edit. (I use DVD-R 16X and DVD-RW 4X) The time taken to burn the disc with WDC can be quite lengthy so it may be a possible solution for your problem. If you use RW discs you won't waste anything by giving it a try.

Nat

Thanks for the help Nat.

I haven't tried WMM as I've just spent many hours getting to understand how to use VP! I seem to have got upgraded to ver.2.20, which unfortunately does not address any of the issues I have raised. The transitions are better but the Overlay track doesn't allow fading in and out of titles! Workaround is to make titles, take snapshots then insert them in the main video sequence to fade in and out.

The 2x DVD-RWs seem to burn well with VP and play on DVD players. I then make an ISO file from the disc and duplicate from that using ImgBurn at slow write speed.

Regards John

Hi John

You seem to have your DVD creation sorted out OK which is great :) . I agree that the non fading in/out of titles in VP is a step backwards from the free version and your solution is a reasonable workaround.

Do give WMM a try as title creation is not difficult and there is Fading/scrolling/variable fonts/colours etc.

You could create your Intro titles and End titles in one go and save as a wmv file to the PC and then load this into VP to be split and placed where you want.

Nat

Hi Nat

How do I get back to the "free" version? I thought that was what I was using as I tried to down earlier versions and only 2.20 would load!

I think I've found another bug. When I viewed the last DVD that VP authored the last 15 minutes wouldn't play! Tried burning again by manually setting the bitrate and no problems. Suggests to me that the VP "burner" isn't calculating the correct bitrate to fit the whole project on the DVD!

Too many workarounds for my liking. Will check out WMM for my next project.

Cheers John