Release and presses still being ignored in 5.04

MrP

Hi,

Just to say I've tried 5.04 and presses and releases are still quite often ignored, obviously it's very frustrating! I've had to revert back again to 4.35. I like the addtional features of the time formatting and the audio compression adjustment in the later releases, could we see a new version with the old pedal code that worked perfectly? Pretty please? I don't know why it needed to be changed, because now it doesn't work. :( I've spoke to other people and we all have the same problem. The problem creeps in after a period of time and then becomes really obvious and puts you off your work.

What period of time? Could you describe this a bit more, because we're still having trouble reproducing the problem here.

It's after a random period of time, but as it starts to happen it seems to get worse and more apparent. For instance on one piece of audio it was after nearly five minutes, and then it would happen about 70 percent of the presses thereafter. On another piece it would happen after a few seconds, and then continue, again about 70 percent of the time. It might have something to do with the way memory is used? I don't know?

Is it not possible to release the old pedal code for the newer software? The old pedal code just works, whereas the new one doesn't very well. I don't know why it changed because the pedals haven't, or not that I can see?

I'm going along fine with 4.35 at the moment, but I really want to use 5.04 or the later release in the future.

What period of time? Could you describe this a bit more, because we're still having trouble reproducing the problem here.

Also I thought; how long are you testing for and what OS do you use? And what pedals?

As an update, the problem happens signficantly less if the tap lock feature is used, and then unlock timeout is applied. Although it does still happen, but only very occasoinally compared to if the tap lock is not used at all.

Edit: Actually, cancel that, it's progressively got worse, so in fact no difference.

Also I thought; how long are you testing for and what OS do you use? And what pedals?

I tried several different VEC Infinity IN-USB-1 pedals on several different machines (XP, Vista, and 7, one of which was 64 bit), with many, many presses and releases on each. Still didn't see the behaviour you reported. I'm really at a loss here.

Are you able to borrow and test another foot pedal?

No I don't have access to one to test, but I was thinking of buying the VEC-2 version, BUT A) I'm not sure if mechanically it's any different? B) When I use 4.35 or earlier before the code was changed, I have no problems at all, which means it can only be software coding.

I am thinking maybe it is an interaction problem with other software, such as office 2007? Did you test it standalone or with other software running? Or it may be something to do with Windows XP, although my system has the latest updates installed.

Mostly when I first boot the machine and start working on a document it might be okay for the first five minutes or so, but then it'll creep in and happen more often.

I am thinking of upgrading soon to Windows 7, and buying a SSD to do the job. So obvously a fully fresh install.

I do appreciate all your help and effort it trying to help me :)

I was thinking of buying the VEC-2 version, BUT A) I'm not sure if mechanically it's any different?

VEC say the IN-USB-2 is 100% backwards compatible with the IN-USB-1. We have come across different firmware versions though, even amongst IN-USB-1's, so obviously something (small?) has changed over the years.

When I use 4.35 or earlier before the code was changed, I have no problems at all, which means it can only be software coding.

Yes, obviously the new code doesn't work well with something in your setup. The question is, what's different between your setup and ours?

I am thinking maybe it is an interaction problem with other software, such as office 2007?

Do you still get the problem if you don't run other applications?

I haven't tried excessively whilst not running Office 2007. So I can't really say for sure. I've just ordered an SSD, I will go from XP to Win 7 and from Office 2007 to 2010, on a completely clean and fresh install. If this solves the intermittant problem then we will know it's an interaction problem somewhere on my system. It might be within Office or XP or both. I don't have many other programmes running. I tried it without AV and firewall etc, no difference.

I'll post back after my upgrade to report. Another possiblity is that my pedal and its firmware doesn't like the new code, whereas other firmwares are okay with it? That's just popped into my head from what you've just said.

So to follow up:

I've got a new hdd (SSD Kingston 64GB), and I'm now running Windows 7 32bit and Office 2010. (A completely fresh rebuild, all new programs install etc, not a copy of an image or anything like that). Still the same thing happens, and it also happens if I change the play button to different physical buttons on the foot pedal, although it happens much more with the middle (normal) play button.

I'm very hestitant of going out and buying a new foot controller to solve the problem, as I don't think this is it. Given that it works no problem with version 4.35 of Scribe, I think it's much more to do with the code as I've changed pretty much everything else.

Would you be willing to revisit the coding of the pedal (particularly it's the VEC USB 1)? There defintely was something wrong with the coding in the first changes because of the new version releases fixed the problem to an extent, but it's still happening. I would be extremely grateful if you would revisit the coding - there's nothing else available on the market that really matches Scribe ;)

I've got a new hdd (SSD Kingston 64GB), and I'm now running Windows 7 32bit and Office 2010. (A completely fresh rebuild, all new programs install etc, not a copy of an image or anything like that). Still the same thing happens

OK, so we can probably rule out OS and third-party software incompatibilities.

it also happens if I change the play button to different physical buttons on the foot pedal, although it happens much more with the middle (normal) play button.

That's strange. How old are the pedals?

I'm very hestitant of going out and buying a new foot controller to solve the problem

If you want to test your foot pedal, go to http://www.lvr.com/hidpage.htm and download SimpleHIDWrite. When you run it, select "VEC USB Footpedal" and press and release the middle button and you should see output like:

RD 00 00 00
RD 00 02 00
RD 00 00 00

Yes, it gives me this for the play button:

RD 00 02 00

RD 00 00 00

This for the rewind or right button:

RD 00 04 00

RD 00 00 00

This for the fast forward or left button:

RD 00 01 00

RD 00 00 00

And also shown in the top box is:

Microsoft Wireless Desktop Receiver 1.3A

and it's shown five times.

I've also gone back to the 4.35 version of scribe.

I'm not sure how old the pedals are, maybe 3 to 5 years? I really don't know.

Hi,

Just to say I've tried 5.04 and presses and releases are still quite often ignored, obviously it's very frustrating! I've had to revert back again to 4.35. I like the addtional features of the time formatting and the audio compression adjustment in the later releases, could we see a new version with the old pedal code that worked perfectly? Pretty please? I don't know why it needed to be changed, because now it doesn't work. :( I've spoke to other people and we all have the same problem. The problem creeps in after a period of time and then becomes really obvious and puts you off your work.

I also have the same problem. Intermittently but quite often the foot pedal does not release when you press it,and the dictator continues to talk even though your foot is off the pedal. I would LOVE to find a fix for this problem; it definitely impacts my work.

• 2 months later...

Have you managed to find anything and can you give an update?

Several people who reported the issue have been emailed an installer of a test build of Express Scribe that uses reworked foot pedal code.

If you'd like to help test it and haven't received an email today then please send me a personal message (PM) here on the forums.

• 2 weeks later...

Several people who reported the issue have been emailed an installer of a test build of Express Scribe that uses reworked foot pedal code.

If you'd like to help test it and haven't received an email today then please send me a personal message (PM) here on the forums.

We also had the exact same issue. But, we went ahead and ordered the new foot pedal. Well, that definatelly did not fix the problem. So, with the old pedal and the new pedal we still have the problem. Now, what do we need to do to get the beta?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I just downloaded newest Express Scribe and bought the Infinity foot pedal and when I press middle pedal, transcription will start adn then immediately stop when I take my foot off pedal. Any progress made on this? Thx.