Using F-keys as hot-keys on a standard MacBook Pro keyboard

Guest TWG23

Guest TWG23

Hi,

After using Express Scribe successfully on a PC, I have just downloaded it for a MacBook Pro with a standard (non-extended) keyboard. All of the F-keys are already taken up with inbuilt functions, e.g. volume control, contrast, brightness, and it does not appear possible to use them as the hot-keys for stopping, starting, etc. audio files in Express Scribe as I did on my PC. Apple's technical support staff didn't know how to get around this, but does anyone know if it is possible?

Many thanks in advance for your help.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest David C

After using Express Scribe successfully on a PC, I have just downloaded it for a MacBook Pro with a standard (non-extended) keyboard. All of the F-keys are already taken up with inbuilt functions, e.g. volume control, contrast, brightness, and it does not appear possible to use them as the hot-keys for stopping, starting, etc. audio files in Express Scribe as I did on my PC.

Hold down the 'fn' key with the relevant function key to get the F key rather than it's other function. You can change this behaviour in System Preferences if you like.