Version 3.29

GrahamW

Just downloaded 3.29 and once again it still has the same issues as it earlier versions.

Once you select a customer to receive the payment if you want also select an optional invoice to recored the payment against you can still select any invoice and do it multiple times.

If you accidently do this it screws up all your reports.

Graham

Hi Graham,

Have you passed this over to the support email ? It looks like NCH hare taking some interest in the forum and also the issues that we are brining up with the software ?

Are there any new features ?

Mick

Just downloaded 3.29 and once again it still has the same issues as it earlier versions.

Once you select a customer to receive the payment if you want also select an optional invoice to recored the payment against you can still select any invoice and do it multiple times.

If you accidently do this it screws up all your reports.

Graham

Hi Graham,

I think this goes back to the design of Express Accounts as an accounting based software application, not a transactional model. As such the payment is intended to be against the customer account, not an invoice, and the reference between the payment and the invoice is meant to be a soft reference for your convenience. I would say that your reports are showing you an error was made within your payment entries, and printing a customer statement would allow an account manager to see exactly when and where the error was made - at that point you find your payments for that customer and correct them however applicable.

That being said I will run this past the product manager and development team to see if this is intended functionality or not, but I am fairly certain this is by design - what if your customer actually sent you 2 payments for the same invoice by mistake, instead of you making an entry error?

Regardless I will let you know if this is being treated as a bug or not.

DJ

Hi Graham,

Confirmed that this is not being treated as a bug. I can certainly understand how you would feel it was a bug based on the way you might manage your invoices currently. I use EA and EI myself and had some difficulty getting used to this concept, but it became very workable for me once I started managing the customer accounts from the top down, rather than managing upwards from individual transactions. I can easily follow my payment references, and then chase errors if my reports are off, or a customer queries me.

DJ

Hi DJ,

If I revert everything back to version 3.04 it is all perfect, all reports are correct and everything marries up as it should.

However as I said in the new version if you select a customer to pay an outstanding invoice it is all fine as well. The problem only arises when you then want to select an individual invoice (optional) to apply that payment against.

I think the issue is because I have pre existing data from earlier versions of the combined EA/EI where you had the status column saying if an invoice was paid or open. Once I put on the new version this column was no longer available and the program has no idea what was alread paid and what was open. So it still allows you to select an optional invoice to pay that has already been paid.

I understand what your saying about the soft cross reference and I think that side of it will only work correct if you have a new install of the new version and start everything fresh. It does not work on any pre existing data I have found because there is no cross reference to payments so you can just select any invoice you like and select it multiple times.

Is there any way the developers can add something in that area so that if you do use the optional invoice after you select the customer that it can't be clicked a 2nd, 3rd or fourth time.

If you like I can zip my backup file and send it to you so you can test if you like to see what I mean.

Graham

Hi DJ / Graham,

I agree with the commends below - I think both of us originally completed invoices and marked them as paid using the invoice view oppose to applying a customer payment.

This being the case and as you rightly point out we now have data which is in 'Limbo' when you upgrade to the new versions of the invoice.

My suggestion would be to allow a column for us to manually mark these invoices (Produced in 3.04) as paid and once marked as paided removed from the invoicing list.

This would then bring us back to where we should be with the new version of the system.

In version 3.04 you can very easly see these invoices by going to the apply customer payment sectioin and either manually en tering the invoice number or by selecting from the customer. which works really really well.

Mick

Hi DJ,

If I revert everything back to version 3.04 it is all perfect, all reports are correct and everything marries up as it should.

However as I said in the new version if you select a customer to pay an outstanding invoice it is all fine as well. The problem only arises when you then want to select an individual invoice (optional) to apply that payment against.

I think the issue is because I have pre existing data from earlier versions of the combined EA/EI where you had the status column saying if an invoice was paid or open. Once I put on the new version this column was no longer available and the program has no idea what was alread paid and what was open. So it still allows you to select an optional invoice to pay that has already been paid.

I understand what your saying about the soft cross reference and I think that side of it will only work correct if you have a new install of the new version and start everything fresh. It does not work on any pre existing data I have found because there is no cross reference to payments so you can just select any invoice you like and select it multiple times.

Is there any way the developers can add something in that area so that if you do use the optional invoice after you select the customer that it can't be clicked a 2nd, 3rd or fourth time.

If you like I can zip my backup file and send it to you so you can test if you like to see what I mean.

Graham

Hi,

OK - I understand now. The problem lies with transaction status when upgrading from a previous version.

I will have a chat with the team about this.

Yes if you could send me your backup file in case they ask for it.

I will send you a separate email with my NCH email address for you to send your file.

DJ

Now we are cooking with gas!

Hi,

OK - I understand now. The problem lies with transaction status when upgrading from a previous version.

I will have a chat with the team about this.

Yes if you could send me your backup file in case they ask for it.

I will send you a separate email with my NCH email address for you to send your file.

DJ

I sent my data files to David at NCH and this was his response so lets hope they can now fix the issue.

Graham,

Received.

Thanks. I have suggested to development to bring across the paid reference for people going to EA or EI from an older version of EI.

Dave

Hi,

I spoke with the lead developer. He is looking into this and does understand the issue. The biggest problem is that the "PAID" designation in prior versions was not even a soft payment reference like it is now, it was just an individual invoice status created at the time of payment, so it gets ugly when you start to consider how to design migration logic around a "PAID" status that is not associated with any payment in the old version.

I will keep you posted.

DJ

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

As an update I also wanted to mention that the ability to pay on an invoice already marked with a soft payment reference is definitely a bug and will be fixed in next release. Invoices paid in full AND with a reference should not have the ability to make a payment from the invoice list screen against the already referenced and paid-in-full invoice.

Additionally I was correct in my above assumption. Migrating from any version prior to the soft payment reference, there is no way to account for the PAID status in the older version when migrating because there was no payment reference in the old version. This makes it impossible to maintain the integrity of the payment reference system in the new version AND bring the old "PAID" status across.

Hope this makes sense.

DJ

Hi There,

What we need to look at then is an easy way for us to be able to remove these invoices from our 'awaiting payment' list.

If we can do this then we can at least get half way there with the developers logic in marking invoices paid and not paid.

If we could have a tick box or simular so that we can make these changes our end so that we can start using the new product. keep in mind however for this to work correctly the tick box shouldnt make any changes to our balance sheets as they would have already been accounted for.

Also we will need to concider the following,

A we can not mark an unpaid invoice as paid unless it is already posted as being paid in the software from the previous verion .

B if we do make any as paid and make a mistake we should be able to run some sort of view that allows us to revert this back.

Mick

Hi,

As an update I also wanted to mention that the ability to pay on an invoice already marked with a soft payment reference is definitely a bug and will be fixed in next release. Invoices paid in full AND with a reference should not have the ability to make a payment from the invoice list screen against the already referenced and paid-in-full invoice.

Additionally I was correct in my above assumption. Migrating from any version prior to the soft payment reference, there is no way to account for the PAID status in the older version when migrating because there was no payment reference in the old version. This makes it impossible to maintain the integrity of the payment reference system in the new version AND bring the old "PAID" status across.

Hope this makes sense.

DJ

Oh this doesnt sound good.

Maybe what I will have to do is to wait to the end of financial year and start a fresh copy of EA ahd hopefully then soft payments area will then be working correctly.

Mick -

At least we have discovered the soft payments area had a bug like we suspected so that was good to uncover that one.

Graham