5.02 using huge amounts of CPU resources

pxlar8

On both my Mac systems (Macbook and iMac) the latest available version, 5.02, is using enormous amounts of CPU resources and is making other apps completely unresponsive, so it doesn't appear to just be eating up idle time. By the way it starts at a high level and just grows until the whole system is unresponsive is acting like a memory leak somewhere.

I've tried this on both Mac OSX 10.6.2 and 10.6.3. Express Scribe 5.02. Doesn't appear to matter what kind of sound file format (AIFF, WAV, FLAC, MP3). CPU resources are up around 98%. Closing Express Scribe fixes the problem.

I've tried this on both Mac OSX 10.6.2 and 10.6.3. Express Scribe 5.02. Doesn't appear to matter what kind of sound file format (AIFF, WAV, FLAC, MP3). CPU resources are up around 98%. Closing Express Scribe fixes the problem.

Could you give us some more details?

What CPU do you have?

Does CPU usage jump to 98% as soon as you open Scribe or do you have to do something / wait a while?

How are you loading the files?

What's the duration of the files?

Do you have any Incoming sources configured?

Do you have Options -> Incoming -> "Perform special process" enabled?

Do you have a foot pedal configured?

I've tried this on both a 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with 4GB RAM (Macbook) and a 2.8 GHz Intel Core Duo with 4GB RAM (iMac).

Immediately upon open it goes to about 50% and within a few minutes of playing audio in ES the CPU is maxing out and system becomes unresponsive. As soon as I quite ES the CPU returns to normal.

Using Load or Load and Delete. Tried with FLAC, MP3, and AIFF, all with files between 10 and 60 minutes long.

No incoming sources or special process.

Yes on foot pedal. Standard VEC.

I've rolled it back to 4.05 and that's working much better, so I'll be sticking with that for the moment.

• 1 month later...
Guest Irene

We've confirmed that enabling the foot pedal is the cause of the excessive CPU usage. There'll be a fix in the next release of Express Scribe.

Thanks for helping us track that down.

A quick fix would be great. Same issue here :-(

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Yes, I'm having the same problem, and I'm not using foot pedals. What happens is this:

1. I load an mp3 file.

2. Save this mp3 file as a dictation file (.dct).

3. Computer pops an error message saying I have no space left on my hard drive.

This doesn't happen every time, though, so I thought it was just my computer. But then my friend started using Scribe on her computer, and it happened to her, too.

It really messes up my computer for days, too, even after I delete the .dct file. What gives?

We've confirmed that enabling the foot pedal is the cause of the excessive CPU usage. There'll be a fix in the next release of Express Scribe.

Thanks for your patience. The next release shouldn't be far off now.

1. I load an mp3 file.

2. Save this mp3 file as a dictation file (.dct).

3. Computer pops an error message saying I have no space left on my hard drive.

This sounds like a separate issue. Is the error message from Scribe or OS X? How much free space do you actually have on your disk? How many dictations are in Scribe's dictation list?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...