Buffering Delay - any way to control this?

Gremmie

I've been trialling Broadwave for Outside Broadcast use to a Radio station control room and for throughput quality it has been great at 128Kps over a link with at least 400Kbps bandwidth capability. The issue we have noted is that at the link start-up there is a delay of about 30seconds introduced to the feed, and the signal is delayed by the same amount threafter. Our tests have shown this to be introduced on the Broadwave server, so my question is if it possible to control the amount of buffering that is performed? Ultimately we would like to have a live conversation with the remote location, but this is not possible with this level of delay.

No, I don't think so. There's always a delay due to the encoding & decoding, though it varies according to the device used. I also have hardware devices for encoding my live stream at the studio and decoding at the transmitter and it has a delay too.

Live digital radio and TV typically suffers from a delay. The total delay from studio to off-air receiver is about 25 seconds in my case using hardware devices. I use Broadwave for technical/management monitoring of various feeds but have used it live on a few rare occasions, and the delay has not been significantly more than usual.