Functional Differences Betwen IVM and Dial Dictate?

MisterH

Good Day All,

I've been trying to get some detailed, pre-sales product questions answered but the "help" I've been given so far via email has been so vague and evasive I felt I had to turn to the user community for help.

I am trying to build a standalone, PC-based voice recording and podcast publishing solution for remote users. I am having trouble determining WHICH NCH products would be best suited to my specific needs- in fact I am assuming I will need perhaps serveral software packages to accomplish my objective.

Anyway, here is my complete usage and functional requirements outline:

My site uses podcasters who are subject matter experts in specific areas of culinary arts. I've defined a series of podcast feeds for each podcaster and I aggregate these feeds on its website as well as through other syndicators like iTunes and Lexy for mobile devices.

Each podcaster composes and delivers audio recordings on a weekly basis (sometimes even daily) and program lengths vary between one to three minutes.

The podcasters possess highly variable degrees of technical proficiency in using digital technology and the web to create and deliver their editorial contributions. For this reason I've determined that the most appropriate solution is one that can incorporate familiar, older technology ( analog telephone) as well as new (VOiP) for intake of podcaster contributions.

Contributing podcasters' basic usage requirements would encompass the following:

• Call in to a main telephone number via landline, cell or VOiP client.

• Access their assigned extension via voice prompt.

• Access message recording features which include-

o Initiate record

o End record

o Review

o Re-record

o Send to production queue on completion.

--------------------------------

In looking at both IVM and Dial Dictate I see essentially the same functions. However the former costs far less than the latter.

Can anyone tell me the crucial differences that would help guide me to the correct product?

Many thanks in advance.

IVM is a lot more versatile and can be used for all sorts of telephony applications such as custom Interactive Voice Response (IVR) systems, data entry, payment processing, etc. The ability to interface with external plug-ins allows even further application development to extend IVM beyond its intended uses. IVM is primarily designed for call-flow applications however (e.g. the push-button menus you get when you call a businesses), meaning other applications may require multiple plug-ins, some of which you may need to custom program yourself -- which can cost time & money.

In contrast, Dial Dictate is a specialized software that is specifically designed to assist in telephone dictation applications, meaning a lot of the work is done for you. In this way you shift some of the cost of the development to NCH which makes things easier and it also probably means you can get your system up and running faster. Depending on your project, you may end up saving more money by buying out-of-the-box ready software rather than trying to develop your application with IVM. Some of the cost of Dial Dictate is simply attributed to the fact that it is designed for professionals (legal and medical mostly) meaning NCH had to spend more time & money making the Dial Dictate platform solid and compliant with industry standards in encryption and storage of audio dictations and records. Dial Dictate also comes with the ability to interface directly with external databases to store records/dictations and this can be a really useful tool. To do this with IVM would require a third-part plug-in that may be left unsupported or limited in functionality.

In my personal "Einstein" opinion (according to the NCH forum rankings), IVM is more than capable of handling your project and would be my platform of choice. However, if you prefer to have most of the work done for you and have the extra built-in features available like Database connectivity, perhaps Dial Dictate is the best option. Also if you want to have a flexible and expandable system, IVM is definitely the better option.

My suggestion: Download both trials, give them both a try and see what works better for you, because it really does depend.

IVM is a lot more versatile and can be used for all sorts of telephony applications such as custom Interactive Voice Response (IVR) systems, data entry, payment processing, etc. The ability to interface with external plug-ins allows even further application development to extend IVM beyond its intended uses. IVM is primarily designed for call-flow applications however (e.g. the push-button menus you get when you call a businesses), meaning other applications may require multiple plug-ins, some of which you may need to custom program yourself -- which can cost time & money.

In contrast, Dial Dictate is a specialized software that is specifically designed to assist in telephone dictation applications, meaning a lot of the work is done for you. In this way you shift some of the cost of the development to NCH which makes things easier and it also probably means you can get your system up and running faster. Depending on your project, you may end up saving more money by buying out-of-the-box ready software rather than trying to develop your application with IVM. Some of the cost of Dial Dictate is simply attributed to the fact that it is designed for professionals (legal and medical mostly) meaning NCH had to spend more time & money making the Dial Dictate platform solid and compliant with industry standards in encryption and storage of audio dictations and records. Dial Dictate also comes with the ability to interface directly with external databases to store records/dictations and this can be a really useful tool. To do this with IVM would require a third-part plug-in that may be left unsupported or limited in functionality.

In my personal "Einstein" opinion (according to the NCH forum rankings), IVM is more than capable of handling your project and would be my platform of choice. However, if you prefer to have most of the work done for you and have the extra built-in features available like Database connectivity, perhaps Dial Dictate is the best option. Also if you want to have a flexible and expandable system, IVM is definitely the better option.

My suggestion: Download both trials, give them both a try and see what works better for you, because it really does depend.

Einstein-

That answer was both brilliant and clearly stated. For me, you pointed out the single greatest functional difference: external DB connectivity.

I appreciate it!

Rich