Does free version expire? What do I do?

gminpa

Forgive me for being a bit dense.

I downloaded the version of Express Burn that was listed on the internet as being "freeware." It seems to work fine.

But today it popped up a message that it's going to expire. I'm puzzled. "Freeware" doesn't expire, it's free. "Trialware" works for a while, then expires if you don't pay for registration.

Is the free version that I have (4.26) truly free, forever? Or is it just a "come-on" to make me buy the "plus" version?

If it is truly free (forever), do I need to do something to prevent it from "expiring"? What? (The info on this page talks about a 12-digit serial number, but I don't see such a number anywhere.)

Thanks in advance for clarifying this issue!

Guest nchaj

The Plus versions of the 14 day trial expire to give you the freeware. You may get pop ups to say if you want to keep using the Plus version you need to upgrade or if you go to use Plus features it will say you need to upgrade to be able to use these features..

If you want to take note of the error and provide more information we may be able to help a little more

Thank you very much for that prompt reply.

As nearly as I can recall, the "warning" said that my software was going to expire in a few days, and "click here to purchase" something. Sorry, I didn't write it down.

Perhaps the following will help you figure out what I have:

1.) When I launch the program, a splash screen says:

v. 4.26

Licensed user: (then nothing else on this line)

Unlicensed software

Purchase online

That splash screen disappears after a few seconds.

2.) The executable (where the desktop icon points) is:

"C:\Program Files\NCH Swift Sound\ExpressBurn\expressburn.exe"

That executable is 868,356 Bytes (848 KB) in size.

3.) I believe the program I downloaded (the installer which installed ExpressBurn in the correct folder, etc.) was named:

"burnsetup.exe" with a file size of 399,520 Bytes (390 KB).

4.) If I explore "properties" of the installer file,

File Version is reported as 4.26+,

Digital Signature is timestamped Friday, April 03, 2009, 3:00:06 AM.

Does that help you figure out what I have? When I downloaded the file, I'm sure it said it was "freeware" which I interpret to mean that it never expires, you never need to pay to "upgade" to a paid version, etc. I would appreciate if you can confirm exactly what I have.

And, if I have some version that is really just a trial for the $~50.00 paid version, can you tell me if there's a different version (perhaps with less features) that is always and forever free?

THANKS AGAIN, and have a great day!

Guest nchaj

Hi, and you're welcome :)

unfortunately that info doesn't help, the easiest thing to do is to download again from here

This is the free version