Lots of setup questions...

oliverweedon

I have installed: Express Delegate 4.03 on a WinXP computer (as server).

I have installed: Express Scribe 4.05 on an OS X computer (as client).

I've setup user accounts and a typing pool using the web interface.

Now I'm stuck.

How do I "point" the client towards the server (I know that I will need Server Name, User Name, Password and Directory what I don't know is where to find this information on the server. Also, what issues do I need to be aware of with my router? Will I need to open ports / setup DMZ etc?

Assuming we get the above point sorted, my second question is that: if my WinXP computer is acting in the role of server then surely it would have to remain on all the time for typists to download dictations and upload transcripts?

If this is the case, as it is a laptop this is not ideal.

What are my alternatives?

In an ideal world we'd pass this role onto an online provider.

If we do this then do we have to set-up a virtual WinXP, 2000 computer with an online provider to accomodate this?

We then of course come into the next issue of cost. Online providers of this sort of service aren't cheap.

Does NCH have a service whereby you act as server for us where we can upload dictations / download transcripts securely?

Many thanks for the help,

Oliver

I have installed: Express Delegate 4.03 on a WinXP computer (as server).

I have installed: Express Scribe 4.05 on an OS X computer (as client).

You need v4.27 or greater of Express Scribe to connect to an Express Delegate server.

I've setup user accounts and a typing pool using the web interface.

Now I'm stuck.

How do I "point" the client towards the server (I know that I will need Server Name, User Name, Password and Directory what I don't know is where to find this information on the server.

Once you upgrade Express Scribe, you'll be able to choose "Express Delegate" as the "Receive Method", rather than FTP.

If the server and client are on the same LAN, the server address will just be the server's computer name. (In XP, right click on "My Computer", select Properties, and look on the "Computer Name" tab.)

If you're connecting via the internet then you'll need a static IP address for the server, with a DNS service if you want to use a domain name instead of remembering that IP.

Also, what issues do I need to be aware of with my router? Will I need to open ports / setup DMZ etc?

Yes, assuming your client is accessing the server via the internet, then you will need to open and forward ports.

Assuming we get the above point sorted, my second question is that: if my WinXP computer is acting in the role of server then surely it would have to remain on all the time for typists to download dictations and upload transcripts?

Correct.

If this is the case, as it is a laptop this is not ideal.

What are my alternatives?

In an ideal world we'd pass this role onto an online provider.

If we do this then do we have to set-up a virtual WinXP, 2000 computer with an online provider to accomodate this?

We then of course come into the next issue of cost. Online providers of this sort of service aren't cheap.

Does NCH have a service whereby you act as server for us where we can upload dictations / download transcripts securely?

If you're not set up to run your own server but you still want access to your dictations remotely then the simplest solution would probably be to find an FTP host. You can then remove Express Delegate from the equation altogether and configure Express Dictate and Express Scribe to access the FTP site directly. Although you would of course miss out on the more advanced work-flow management features of Express Delegate.

If you're not set up to run your own server but you still want access to your dictations remotely then the simplest solution would probably be to find an FTP host. You can then remove Express Delegate from the equation altogether and configure Express Dictate and Express Scribe to access the FTP site directly. Although you would of course miss out on the more advanced work-flow management features of Express Delegate.

- - OK. Thanks for the comprehensive answer.

It sounds like I should best go with this option. What are the points I need to consider when setting this up.

• 3 months later...

I am told that the Express Dictate integrates with the Express Delegate program. Can someone please tell me how to do this?

In Express Delegate, follow the instructions to create an account for each of the speakers and typists.

Then, in Express Dictate, select Options -> Sending and create or modify a recipient. In the "Send to Typist Recipient Properties" dialog that's shown, under the Recipient tab, change the "Send Method" to "Expess Delegate", and configure the server and logon details.

Does Web Dictate integrate with both Express Dictate and Delegate?

Express Delegate support was added to Web Dictate in v2.01.

Express Dictate and Web Dictate do similar jobs, so there's no integration between them.

Also, can Sony recorded dictations be uploaded to web dictate software? The Sony recorded dictations are in .msv format.

Have you installed "Sony Player Plug-in for Windows Media Player" as described at http://www.nch.com.a...pport.html#SONY? The plug-in must be installed on the machine acting as the Web Dictate server.

I just bought the software a couple of weeks ago - wouldn't the Web Dictate software that I purchased have the been the most recent software out? Now I have to purchase an upgrade for software I purchased that said it integrates directly with Express Delegate - which is why I purchased it?? If this is the case, I will be extremely upset.

I just bought the software a couple of weeks ago - wouldn't the Web Dictate software that I purchased have the been the most recent software out?

Web Dictate v2.01 was released on October 2nd.

You can find the version number on the status bar of the main window, in Help -> About, in the header of the "Web Control Panel", and several other places.

Now I have to purchase an upgrade for software I purchased that said it integrates directly with Express Delegate - which is why I purchased it??

As with all NCH software, upgrades are free for three months from the day you purchased your licence.