"No Audio Detected" during recording session

Carl Anderson

Hi All! My first post here. I downloaded Golden Records after reading about it in the AARP magazine...I guess I've blown my cover..yeah I'm an old geezer! That aside, this is my problem:

When I first got the program I tried recording directly from the turntable. I'm on an OSX 10.5 Mac and I picked up a stereo RCA to 3.5mm stereo jack. I plugged it into my sound port and had selected the Line In as my source in the Sound Control Panel. Everything seemed to work well in the setup in Golden and I adjusted the sound level in the Sound Control Panel until I had a decent level on the program's meter. I got it to record, but the end result was "tinny" with no depth in the mids or lows.

So I figured I try to go through the receiver. I plugged the turntable jacks back into the receiver and also plugged two RCAs into the receiver outputs. Everything seemed to be fine and I obviously had a much stronger signal at the meters; as a result I had to turn down the input levels in the Sound Control Panel. Everything was fine until I got into a Recording Session and when I hit Record the Recording State showed the "No Audio Detected" message. A strong signal shows up in both the setup and Recording Session meters, but nothing actually records. It'll start recording, but will go idle after about 20 sec. and show the "No Audio Detected" message.

Anybody have any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Hi All! My first post here. I downloaded Golden Records after reading about it in the AARP magazine...I guess I've blown my cover..yeah I'm an old geezer! That aside, this is my problem:

When I first got the program I tried recording directly from the turntable. I'm on an OSX 10.5 Mac and I picked up a stereo RCA to 3.5mm stereo jack. I plugged it into my sound port and had selected the Line In as my source in the Sound Control Panel. Everything seemed to work well in the setup in Golden and I adjusted the sound level in the Sound Control Panel until I had a decent level on the program's meter. I got it to record, but the end result was "tinny" with no depth in the mids or lows.

So I figured I try to go through the receiver. I plugged the turntable jacks back into the receiver and also plugged two RCAs into the receiver outputs. Everything seemed to be fine and I obviously had a much stronger signal at the meters; as a result I had to turn down the input levels in the Sound Control Panel. Everything was fine until I got into a Recording Session and when I hit Record the Recording State showed the "No Audio Detected" message. A strong signal shows up in both the setup and Recording Session meters, but nothing actually records. It'll start recording, but will go idle after about 20 sec. and show the "No Audio Detected" message.

Back again

Okay after change of setting for noise floor level from 7 to -20 db it is now recording perfect.

I just used the manually noise level function. It could give problem if the level is too high maybe cutting off recording.

• 1 month later...
Guest N.C.H a.n

Hi,

Yes you are correct.

The noise floor needs to be set for each album you record as the volume levels are different inbetween the songs on each one.

So you play the album then inbetween a song you hit the measure noise floor button, and it measures the audio level.

So now when you record, it will sense when the volume is at the point where its changing songs and will split the file for you.

If you set the noise floor too high manually, then the recording will never start because the audio is always lower than the noise floor level.