Hiss and volumn issues

packaloon

The only way mic is hot enough to record is with boost in windows/audio properties/recording devices. The boost makes the mic very hot but It gives me a hiss I can't for the life of me, get rid of. The mic is a samson R11. Pretty good mic.

I've tried recording with very high input and playing back low enough to not hear hiss but to no avail. The louder I record the louder the hiss is.

• 3 weeks later...
The only way mic is hot enough to record is with boost in windows/audio properties/recording devices. The boost makes the mic very hot but It gives me a hiss I can't for the life of me, get rid of. The mic is a samson R11. Pretty good mic.

I've tried recording with very high input and playing back low enough to not hear hiss but to no avail. The louder I record the louder the hiss is.

There is no easy fix to this, you probably need a preamp to boost the signal unless it is a very high quality dynamic microphone

• 6 months later...

There is no easy fix to this, you probably need a preamp to boost the signal unless it is a very high quality dynamic microphone

I agree. I have a large collection of different microphones and none of them works properly when just plugged into the Mic In jack of the computer. My solution is to use a small mixer board. Plug the mic into the mixer, and the output of the mixer into the LINE IN inputs of the computer. Works great - good volume, no hiss, perfect fidelity.