Vertical Zoom

Robert.Simpson

Hi,

When I read in a flac file, the waveform is zoomed in too much so I can't see the profile properly. The 'Vertical Zoom' (ctrl-shift-v) button only makes it worse. Is there a way to reduce the zoom?

I assume that you mean a horizontal zoom, which decreases or increase the portion (i.e., the time length) of the waveform that is shown in the window.

After the file is loaded in, at the bottom of the window you will see a couple of little magnifying glass icons, one containing a minus sign, the other containing a plus sign. Guess what? When you click on the plus sign, you will zoom in on the display; when you click on the minus sign, you will zoom out on the display.

Amazing! :-)

On second thought--this is not all that amazing, since this information is contained in the help file (I think). Read it (do as I say, not as I do at this very moment :-)) and you will certainly find this information there--somewhere.

gooroo

I assume that you mean a horizontal zoom, which decreases or increase the portion (i.e., the time length) of the waveform that is shown in the window.

After the file is loaded in, at the bottom of the window you will see a couple of little magnifying glass icons, one containing a minus sign, the other containing a plus sign. Guess what? When you click on the plus sign, you will zoom in on the display; when you click on the minus sign, you will zoom out on the display.

Amazing! :-)

On second thought--this is not all that amazing, since this information is contained in the help file (I think). Read it (do as I say, not as I do at this very moment :-)) and you will certainly find this information there--somewhere.

gooroo

No, I meant the vertical zoom (amplitude not time). The horizontal zoom works fine (apart from some minor redraw issues).

Rob.

No, I meant the vertical zoom (amplitude not time). The horizontal zoom works fine (apart from some minor redraw issues).

Rob.

--------------------------------------------------

Rob,

Here I am, back in a flash after trying to load one of my .flac files into WavePad. I did not succeed. There was a quick flash in the window and it returned to its blank stare, without making any attempt to load a file using the well-known progress bar. Therefore, what I conclude from this futile exercise (I tried several times with different .flac files) is that something is wrong with the WavePad program in its loading of such files. I have the latest version of DirectX installed in my computer, and I cannot see any reason why I can't get decode a .flac file. I admit, however, that I am using version 3.04 of WavePad, and I don't know whether or not any attempt to fix this problem was made in the latest version release. I suspect that it was, since you at least got something resembling a proper loading of the file, while I do not.

If you are interested in a guaranteed solution to the problem of sound wave editing, beginning with a .flac file (I do this day in and day out in my continuing music editing), send me a private message. I assume that you know how to do this. But if you do not, start with "My Controls" at the top of your screen and go from there. The process is easy and intuitive. I cannot guarantee that you will like my "solution," however :unsure:

gooroo

--------------------------------------------------

Rob,

Here I am, back in a flash after trying to load one of my .flac files into WavePad. I did not succeed. There was a quick flash in the window and it returned to its blank stare, without making any attempt to load a file using the well-known progress bar. Therefore, what I conclude from this futile exercise (I tried several times with different .flac files) is that something is wrong with the WavePad program in its loading of such files. I have the latest version of DirectX installed in my computer, and I cannot see any reason why I can't get decode a .flac file. I admit, however, that I am using version 3.04 of WavePad, and I don't know whether or not any attempt to fix this problem was made in the latest version release. I suspect that it was, since you at least got something resembling a proper loading of the file, while I do not.

If you are interested in a guaranteed solution to the problem of sound wave editing, beginning with a .flac file (I do this day in and day out in my continuing music editing), send me a private message. I assume that you know how to do this. But if you do not, start with "My Controls" at the top of your screen and go from there. The process is easy and intuitive. I cannot guarantee that you will like my "solution," however :unsure:

gooroo

I've actually been able to edit the flac files quite successfully. The problem is only the display of the waveform. I ended up having to play lots of bits of the file to find out where to edit it which was rather tedious but did work out in the end. I did encounter one problem where the cut ended up at the wrong position but that was due to the waveform not being redrawn. I make sure I scroll a bit to the left and right and that seems to correct it.

Anyway, thanks for the reply. Should I file a bug report for this?

Rob.

I've actually been able to edit the flac files quite successfully. The problem is only the display of the waveform. I ended up having to play lots of bits of the file to find out where to edit it which was rather tedious but did work out in the end. I did encounter one problem where the cut ended up at the wrong position but that was due to the waveform not being redrawn. I make sure I scroll a bit to the left and right and that seems to correct it.

Anyway, thanks for the reply. Should I file a bug report for this?

Rob.

First, since you can edit a flac file with WavePad and I cannot, I assume that this is because I have the older version 3.04 (which does not handle flac files correctly) and that you are using the upgraded version, which has at least partially corrected the completely flac-faulty earlier version. I could be wrong, of course. One thing is virtually certain, however; an answer cannot be obtained directly by those (the software developers--the high priests within this caste system, as it were) who are the only ones that really know what is going on flac, but do not want to take any flac :-). These (busy) people cannot be "bothered" giving direct answers to queries from disgruntled WavePad users, most of whom are not technically sophisticated (and literate) enough to deal directly with those who are. Since these same developers also give little credence to a third-party attempt to get a disgruntled user off the company's back by giving him/her some type of answer, a third-party answer to a user's complaint is quite unlikely to be very effective. But should we can the middleman, who may be doing his very best?

Now about answering your question. In view of this vey wobbly "forum interface" between the developers and software users who are trying to get answers to their questions via this forum (which is presented to them as the appropriate channel for doing so, without paying an extra "support" charge), any attempt by me to provide a meaningful answer to you about your filing or not filing a bug report lies well outside my pay grade :-)

gooroo

(telling it like it is--for better or worse)