Extremely poor quality; dropouts in every recording

cdespinosa

I'm using Golden 1.22 on an iMac G4 (800MHz) woith 384Mb memory. Yes, it's an old slow small machine, but it's one I can dedicate to doing capture from LPs.

I had been using Final Vinyl to do audio capture, but found it to be too simple and feature-poor. My first experiment with the trial version of Golden seemed to work well, but now that I've paid for it, I can't get it to make a recording that doesn't have audio dropouts every few seconds. The sound quality is extremely choppy; it reminds me of using a MacRecorder on a Mac II circa 1987. I expected a product that is labeled "Pro" and priced as it is would at least be able to make a recording without dropouts.

Is this characteristic of Golden on Mac, or is it just too slow on a PowerPC G4 800MHz to do the job? (When I can get a time slice on my quad Intel box with 3GB RAM I'll give it a try there, but that machine spends most of its time doing compiles). The recordings I make with Final Vinyl on the same machine are just fine, no dropouts.

I've filed a tech support incident with NCH as well, but I'm interested in hearing the experiences of other users, especially if changing the audio settings or hardware configuration (I'm recording to external 400Mb FireWire HD) might help.

I'm using Golden 1.22 on an iMac G4 (800MHz) woith 384Mb memory. Yes, it's an old slow small machine, but it's one I can dedicate to doing capture from LPs.

I had been using Final Vinyl to do audio capture, but found it to be too simple and feature-poor. My first experiment with the trial version of Golden seemed to work well, but now that I've paid for it, I can't get it to make a recording that doesn't have audio dropouts every few seconds. The sound quality is extremely choppy; it reminds me of using a MacRecorder on a Mac II circa 1987. I expected a product that is labeled "Pro" and priced as it is would at least be able to make a recording without dropouts.

Is this characteristic of Golden on Mac, or is it just too slow on a PowerPC G4 800MHz to do the job? (When I can get a time slice on my quad Intel box with 3GB RAM I'll give it a try there, but that machine spends most of its time doing compiles). The recordings I make with Final Vinyl on the same machine are just fine, no dropouts.

I've filed a tech support incident with NCH as well, but I'm interested in hearing the experiences of other users, especially if changing the audio settings or hardware configuration (I'm recording to external 400Mb FireWire HD) might help.

I can't speak for the Mac version - I am using Windows Vista Home Premium (don't even say it!). My quad core 2.66 GHz with 4 GB of RAM does a superb job with Golden Records (GR) converting vinyl. I have noted that GR does seem a tad fussy about where it stores its recordings - an external drive might not be the best - I'd recommend you stick with the default folder. The other problem many seem to have is direct phono to computer. I know GR has that option, but not all turntables seem to be alike and the signal from many is too weak for GR to grab it cleanly. I connect my phono to my receiver and then feed the Behringer UCA-202 converter box with my "Tape Out" jacks on the receiver. It has worked like a charm and I have successfully converted over 20 LPs with that setup. There is the occasional crash (a Vista enhanced feature - remember, there are no bugs in Vista - right!). In any event, let us know how you make out with your Intel machine. Have a great day.

Regards,

-Phil

• 9 months later...

I'm having the same problem, and I'm using a brand new MacBook Pro 2.26 Mhz Intel Core 2 Duo. I'm not doing anything else with it but trying to record music, but I get short dropouts (not every few seconds, but several per song.) The dropouts are very short -- less than a second, but enough to create an audible "burp" in the recording. They are audible even during recording... but they're not coming from the record that's being played (I can monitor that with headphones) but from the playthrough on the Mac.

It basically makes the whole application worthless. Please, NCH, is there a solution?

I'm running Snow Leopard btw.

I'm having the same problem, and I'm using a brand new MacBook Pro 2.26 Mhz Intel Core 2 Duo. I'm not doing anything else with it but trying to record music, but I get short dropouts (not every few seconds, but several per song.) The dropouts are very short -- less than a second, but enough to create an audible "burp" in the recording. They are audible even during recording... but they're not coming from the record that's being played (I can monitor that with headphones) but from the playthrough on the Mac.

It basically makes the whole application worthless. Please, NCH, is there a solution?

I'm running Snow Leopard btw.

I have been having the same problem w/cassette to cd recording. I am running tiger on macbook pro.

What did NCH have for an answer??

dickcee

I had the same problem on a PC. Found that the PC wasn't set to use the recording input I was using. Result was weak recordings with terrible quality. Setting PC to use correct recording input solved the problem. Don't know if a Mac has sound input settings, but it's worth checking.

I had the same problem on a PC. Found that the PC wasn't set to use the recording input I was using. Result was weak recordings with terrible quality. Setting PC to use correct recording input solved the problem. Don't know if a Mac has sound input settings, but it's worth checking.

You do have to set up the recording input on the Mac, but it's set correctly and that's not the problem. No reply from NCH after nearly three weeks and two tech support requests.

• 5 weeks later...

You do have to set up the recording input on the Mac, but it's set correctly and that's not the problem. No reply from NCH after nearly three weeks and two tech support requests.

Hello All!

I have only seen one email come through on this. From this post however, it appears to be a bug. I'll contact the developer on this to see what is up. Make sure that when you send an email into NCH Support that you send it using the correct page and specify the correct OS so it gets to our Mac Support team. http://www.nch.com.au/golden/support.html

cheers

• 1 year later...

Hello All!

I have only seen one email come through on this. From this post however, it appears to be a bug. I'll contact the developer on this to see what is up. Make sure that when you send an email into NCH Support that you send it using the correct page and specify the correct OS so it gets to our Mac Support team. http://www.nch.com.au/golden/support.html

cheers

Have just purchased the latest edition and am experiencing same difficulties! Agree with an earlier post that this is NOT what I expected from a system that pro-ports to be 'professional'. How do we go about getting this 'bug' fixed quickly? If I do not see action within a week will certainly challenge the credit card payment. NOT HAPPY!!

Have just purchased the latest edition and am experiencing same difficulties! Agree with an earlier post that this is NOT what I expected from a system that pro-ports to be 'professional'. How do we go about getting this 'bug' fixed quickly? If I do not see action within a week will certainly challenge the credit card payment. NOT HAPPY!!

PS. Also think it is an absolute liberty that after paying US$39.95 for a piece of software that does not work properly we are told that we go to the bottom of the pile unless we have purchased technical support!!

• 1 month later...

If I understand all of these issues/problems correctly, your recordings are being stopped by GR, & you hear a loud "burping" sound at that point? If that is indeed the issue, it's caused by the music sound on your record not exceeding the noise level detected when you used the Wizard to set up your recording, or so GR thinks.

To correct this problem, let the Wizard automatically determine the Noise Floor. Try to make a recording. If everything records fine, leave it that way (but for best results, you must go through this procedure for each new recording on a different vinyl record, because records have different sound & noise levels).

If you get the dropout & stopped recording that is described here, start the Wizard over again, & proceed to the window in the Wizard that is called "Background Noise Measure". Look at where it says "Last Set Noise Floor." There'll be a number there like "-11db". Use that number as a reference. Then click on the the box that says "Manually Specify Noise Floor." Then use the up & down arrows (or highlight the number in the box & type in a new level; WHEN DOUBLE CLICKING IN THE BOX, MAKE SURE THAT THE NUMBER REMAINS A NEGATIVE [-] NUMBER!). You usually would want to lower the noise floor level by increments of "1", until you are able to make a sound recording without dropouts. Lowering the noise level, means increasing the negative number there. So for example, you would change the "-11db" to "-12db" & so on.

If your first change doesn't work, change the Noise Floor again. I find that 2-3 dbs is the most I would ever need to change it, & usually, 1 db is enough.

This would usually only be a problem with songs that have a lot of noise on them, or scratches causing clicks/skips, etc., or if you have a record that got a poor sound level estimate.

Also, remember that you must let Wizard determine the sound level BEFORE going to the noise level window. The sound level window is the window preceding the noise level window, & is called "Recording Volume Calibration." As you play the song you want to record, wait a few seconds until the "Volume Level Detection" says "GOOD." If you proceed to the next window too quickly, you might not get an accurate reading here, which can be messing up your sound to noise comparison.

I'm a converted CD Spin Doctor user, & I find Golden Records & Wave Pad, for the Mac, to be far superior than that program was, in every way.

Hope this helps.