Foot Pedal Wiring

Guest Tara

Just wondering if anyone got the foot pedal from Radio Shack and found the info on here for the wiring of it? I am in desperate need of a footpedal, and would love the info/

• 7 months later...

did you ever get satisfied as I have the infinity pedal which is the game port model IN_BMG with a usb converter. I get no response whatsoever from the foot pedal when plugged in. Would love to hear if you got sorted or if you know what the wiring should be. Regards

Maurice Fletcher

Just wondering if anyone got the foot pedal from Radio Shack and found the info on here for the wiring of it?  I am in desperate need of a footpedal, and would love the info/

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I recently rewired a 2-button pedal from a Panasonic transcription machine with good results. The important thing about the Panasonic pedal is that it contains two momentary-on switches. So, my experiences should apply to any such pedal.

Supplies needed for the conversion:

An existing foot pedal

3-conductor wire (for a two-button pedal) or

4-conductor wire (for a three-button pedal)

9-pin female "D" connector (from Radio Shack)

Soldering equipment and hand tools

Procedure:

Open the foot pedal, unsolder the existing wires and remove.

(Alternatively, you could simply clip the old connector from the other end of the existing cord.)

Solder in the new wire and attach the "D" connector per NCH's wiring instructions.

Re-assemble the foot pedal.

Plug the "D" connector into an available serial connector on your computer. Some newer computers have done away with the serial connection. In this case, disregard this entire post!

You must "teach" Express Scribe which button is which by running the Foot Pedal Control Setup Wizard (Settings-Control).

I initially had a problem when wiring my pedal. The NCH instructions called for wiring the "Play" function to pin 1 of the "D" connector, but it did not work for me. I discovered a "work-around". With Express Scribe Foot Pedal Control Setup Wizard running, I played around with a short jumper wire and shorted pin 4 with each of the other pins (on the back of the computer) until Express Scribe would play. I then wired into that pin.

If you are uncomfortable playing with wires and soldering apparatus, any electronics technician worth his or her salt should be able to do the job for you in under 30 minutes.

• 1 year later...
I recently rewired a 2-button pedal from a Panasonic transcription machine with good results. The important thing about the Panasonic pedal is that it contains two momentary-on switches. So, my experiences should apply to any such pedal.

Supplies needed for the conversion:

An existing foot pedal

3-conductor wire (for a two-button pedal) or

4-conductor wire (for a three-button pedal)

9-pin female "D" connector (from Radio Shack)

Soldering equipment and hand tools

Procedure:

Open the foot pedal, unsolder the existing wires and remove.

(Alternatively, you could simply clip the old connector from the other end of the existing cord.)

Solder in the new wire and attach the "D" connector per NCH's wiring instructions.

Re-assemble the foot pedal.

Plug the "D" connector into an available serial connector on your computer. Some newer computers have done away with the serial connection. In this case, disregard this entire post!

You must "teach" Express Scribe which button is which by running the Foot Pedal Control Setup Wizard (Settings-Control).

I initially had a problem when wiring my pedal. The NCH instructions called for wiring the "Play" function to pin 1 of the "D" connector, but it did not work for me. I discovered a "work-around". With Express Scribe Foot Pedal Control Setup Wizard running, I played around with a short jumper wire and shorted pin 4 with each of the other pins (on the back of the computer) until Express Scribe would play. I then wired into that pin.

If you are uncomfortable playing with wires and soldering apparatus, any electronics technician worth his or her salt should be able to do the job for you in under 30 minutes.

Well I thought I was worth my salt but I can't get it to do anything but fast forward!

I've tried all pins but the only ones that will learn are 1, 6,8 and 9. 6 is Rewind and the others just fast forward. The only work around I can find is to slow the fast forward function down to 100% with no acceleration.

Am I missing something obvious here, we have two normally open switches with pin 4 as common and then pin 6 goes to the Rewind and pin 1 goes to the Play/FF switch. Pin 4 is not "ground" but DTR which is obviously set by the program, 1 and 6 are inputs. See http://www.aggsoft.com/rs232-pinout-cable/...-and-signal.htm for more info.

So is this a hardware problem or is there another setting in the program I need to configure to get my play button to play??

Does the serial port need setting to a specific type or baud? (I would think the software would set that up as it wanted)

Any ideas would be gratefully received.

• 2 weeks later...

For a serial pedal we require 2 normally open switches?

1 contact on each switch is common and connected to pin 4?

The other side of the switch is connected to pin 1 and 6 for Play and rewind?

o-------------- 1

/ Play - FF

o

o

/ Rewind

o-------------- 6

Should this work on all types of serial port (DB9)? Any known exceptions?

• 3 months later...
I've tried all pins but the only ones that will learn are 1, 6,8 and 9. 6 is Rewind and the others just fast forward. The only work around I can find is to slow the fast forward function down to 100% with no acceleration.

Am I missing something obvious here, we have two normally open switches with pin 4 as common and then pin 6 goes to the Rewind and pin 1 goes to the Play/FF switch. Pin 4 is not "ground" but DTR which is obviously set by the program, 1 and 6 are inputs. See http://www.aggsoft.com/rs232-pinout-cable/...-and-signal.htm for more info.

I just recently converted an existing Sanyo Foot Control (model FS-54), which is a 3-button pedal (REW, PLAY, FF). I programmed the pedal in Express Scribe (ES), during which time, ES confirmed I was pressing the REW, FF and PLAY buttons. I clicked OK to save my settings for COM1. Then I proceeded to test the pedal. Well, the good news is that REW and FF work perfectly!

However, PLAY does not work. In fact the only way I can get the software to play is to press both REW and FF together at the same time. I guess the good thing about it is that I don't have to hold both pedals down to continue playing. It works like a toggle switch - press both, plays; press both again, stops. But why is it that when I press PLAY it does not play? Obviously, something is almost right.

Just to let you know how I did the wiring:

Inside the pedal, underneath each button, there is a switch with two wires. These wires all connected to a small circuit board. This means, there was a total of 6 wires coming from the 3 switches to the circuit board. Then 2 additional wires from this board protruded out of the pedal through a long cord that was ultimately plugged into the Sanyo unit. I got rid of everything in the pedal except for the 3 switches and the 2 wires per switch. Then I took 1 wire from each switch and soldered that to pin 4 (GND). I soldered the remaining wire from the REW switch to pin 6; PLAY to pin 1; FF to pin 9. The pin assignment is per the Pedal Wiring Instructions.

|----------GND (PIN 4)

|REW

|----------PIN 6

|----------GND (PIN 4)

|PLAY

|----------PIN 1

|----------GND (PIN 4)

|FF

|----------PIN 9

(please excuse the poor quality of my ASCII art)

From the two quotes above, it seems as if both had difficulty with Pin 1 for PLAY.

@Alex850 - I realize it's been over a year since you've posted this; however, do you remember what pin you ended up using for PLAY?

@sparkys - Have you resolved your issue?

@everyone else - So does anyone have any idea why I'm experiencing what I am (REW, FF works; PLAY does not work; but when both REW & FF are pressed at same time, it plays)? Did I wire this correctly?

• 5 weeks later...

I recently purchased a 3-switch foot pedal on Ebay. The seller said it is a Sanyo FS92 but it is not marked. I cut the end off and wired a DB9 serial connector. I could not get the diagram listed on Technical Specifications of Pedal Wiring to work.

I brought out the old RS232 breakout box to see what works. This is my diagram:

_______ Common _____ DTR Pin 4 (or RTS Pin 7 should work)

|

|__ \__ Rewind ____ DSR Pin 6

|__ \__ Forward ____ CTS Pin 8

|__ \__ Play _______ RI Pin 9

• 1 month later...
I recently purchased a 3-switch foot pedal on Ebay. The seller said it is a Sanyo FS92 but it is not marked. I cut the end off and wired a DB9 serial connector. I could not get the diagram listed on Technical Specifications of Pedal Wiring to work.

I brought out the old RS232 breakout box to see what works. This is my diagram:

_______ Common _____ DTR Pin 4 (or RTS Pin 7 should work)

|

|__ \__ Rewind ____ DSR Pin 6

|__ \__ Forward ____ CTS Pin 8

|__ \__ Play _______ RI Pin 9

I own a Sanyo FS-92 pedal but it's only a 2 switch I think (1 pedal for PLAY and 1 pedal for REW). I am considering wiring it to a serial connection (as my sanyo standard cassette machine has bit the dust and I likely won't replace it with another cassette machine).. but I'd rather use USB. Is it possible to convert to USB does anyone know??

Jen

• 2 months later...
For a serial pedal we require 2 normally open switches?

1 contact on each switch is common and connected to pin 4?

The other side of the switch is connected to pin 1 and 6 for Play and rewind?

o-------------- 1

/ Play - FF

o

o

/ Rewind

o-------------- 6

Should this work on all types of serial port (DB9)? Any known exceptions?

This is essentially what I did with my Panasonic pedal (I am running v. 4.22), and it works fine for REW and FF. This is another good reference for doing the conversion, BTW:

http://nch.invisionzone.com/index.php?show...mp;hl=panasonic

Basically I hit "play" with the rodent or the F9 hotkey. The foot pedals then allow me to either FF or REW. I'd really rather have "Play" than "FF" but I have not figured out how to do that. Anyone know how to wire or setup so that the two pedals are play/REW instead of FF/REW?

• 6 months later...
I own a Sanyo FS-92 pedal but it's only a 2 switch I think (1 pedal for PLAY and 1 pedal for REW). I am considering wiring it to a serial connection (as my sanyo standard cassette machine has bit the dust and I likely won't replace it with another cassette machine).. but I'd rather use USB. Is it possible to convert to USB does anyone know??

Jen

Does anybody know how to convert a pedal to USB? I have a laptop, so only have S-video & monitor outs, & 4 USB ports. Else is it possible to get serial to USB connectors?

Many thanks! :)

Does anybody know how to convert a pedal to USB? I have a laptop, so only have S-video & monitor outs, & 4 USB ports. Else is it possible to get serial to USB connectors?

Many thanks! :)

I have new computer with Vista. It did not have a serial connector --SO I installed a Serial to USB adapter and hve NOT been able to get the PEDALS to work ANY suggestions will be appreciated.

Many Thanks

• 4 months later...
With Express Scribe Foot Pedal Control Setup Wizard running, I played around with a short jumper wire and shorted pin 4 with each of the other pins (on the back of the computer) until Express Scribe would play. I then wired into that pin.

Yes, there appears to be a bug in the setup wizard. If you only have two buttons, it makes your "play" button a "fastforward" button, no matter what you do. You have to configure the pedal as three-button, with a dummy fastforward, in order to get a functional play and rewind.

For those of us converting two-button pedals, there are a few ways to go:

1: Leave two bare wires hanging out of the connector, and manually short them when the setup wizard asks for the fastforward pedal. Then use the regular pedals for play and rewind. This is Alex580's technique, more or less.

2: Drill and mount a third button into the pedal, even if it's somewhat awkwardly placed, it'll be fastforward and seldom used (really, only used during the setup wizard) so it won't matter.

3: Manually edit the registry. You're looking for HKCU\Software\NCH Swift Sound\Scribe\Settings\

The registry key names are pretty self-explanatory. Change the values of "pedalsleft", "pedalsmid", and "pedalsright" according to the following:

pin  value  signal  function
1    8      DCD     play
4    n/a    DTR     common
6    2      DSR     rewind
8    1      CTS     fastforward
9    4      RING    optional 

So to make my two-button pedal work, I've got pedalsleft=2, pedalsmid=1, pedalsright=8. Don't use pin 9 (ring indicator) if you can help it, as some computers reassign it. (I've got a Toughbook here that puts +5v on pin 9 for powering external peripherals, for example. And I've used serial GPS units that expect power on pin 9, so in general, stay away from it.)

Incidentally, the number of pedals you select in the pulldown menu doesn't change anything except the number of prompts you get when you run the setup wizard.

I have a two button foot pedal, well, it's actually a "rocker" pedal - you press on the right or on the left side to operate. The cable/cord has only three wires, and a 4-pin mini-DIN connector for the transcriber. Inside there is no electronics - there are two identical switches, with a button on top that is depressed by the pressure of the foot pedal (my techie son, who has only seen pictures and a hand-drawn wiring diagram says the switches are similar to a wall light switch).

My question:

Would it be possible to use the existing soldered connections on the switches by cutting off the mini-DIN connector and then connecting the wires directly to a USB connector (which has 4 wires, 1 of which is for power that would not be needed)?

Thanks in advance!!!!!!

• 1 month later...

I've got hold of a secondhand Sanyo FS-53 two button foot pedal and woudl like to try and convert it to make it useable on my PC. The thing is it has a 6-pin DIN connecter (not a 6-pin mini-DIN or PS/2) and not a nine pin serial connecter, The wiring instructions given on the NCH website don't seem to include this type of conversion. So, what I'm interested in knowing is has anyone tried to convert a pedal like this, do you have have any instructions and what type of connection can it be converted to?